Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Motorsports Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Drag radials? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235716)

AdamZ 07-07-2012 01:35 PM

Drag radials?

Anyone have any information on where to get some decent drag radials that won't break the bank?

Rockit_z28 07-07-2012 05:27 PM

Discount Tire

LimaCharlie 07-07-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockit_z28 (Post 5251839)
Discount Tire

Discount Tire is a good place to start.
I think one of the best drag radials that could still be used on the street are Nitto NT555R. I've seen some people run them on 18" C6 Z06 wheels (front). The NT555R's are also available in a 20" size, so you could use them on your stock wheels.

AdamZ 07-07-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LimaCharlie (Post 5253469)
Discount Tire is a good place to start.
I think one of the best drag radials that could still be used on the street are Nitto NT555R. I've seen some people run them on 18" C6 Z06 wheels (front). The NT555R's are also available in a 20" size, so you could use them on your stock wheels.

I had people telling my that the 18 inch vette drag radials were cheap, easy to find, and good for drag racing which is what I need them for. Idk what kind of tires those are....maybe those are what you're talking about?

LimaCharlie 07-08-2012 12:06 AM

The 18" Z06 wheels are available in OEM form or reproductions. Ebay usually has alot of them. Here is a reproduction company example:

http://www.factoryreproductions.com/...6-Z06-c141.htm

Here are the Nitto tires I'm talking about:

http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/nt555r

Higgs Boson 07-08-2012 01:02 PM

do you need them to hook? nittos do not hook. Mickey Thompson hooks. nittos is for show.....

lexlueger 07-08-2012 01:11 PM

:rolleyes: Nittos will hook just fine. There the best option if you drive to the track. As you increase your power level look at the hoosiers or et streets.

Higgs Boson 07-08-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexlueger (Post 5254957)
:rolleyes: Nittos will hook just fine. There the best option if you drive to the track. As you increase your power level look at the hoosiers or et streets.

I will agree they are better than a stock tire but they still spin. I am not sure what your definition of "just fine" is but I have had Nittos, BFGs, and MT ET Streets and Street Radials on my street cars and Nittos are terrible for good 60 fts.

With a MT you can dump the clutch at 6 grand if you want and they will hook and that is with 850 HP in my Z06....

I have had Nitto 555Rs with 400 HP that don't hook.... To me, a 1.8 or 1.9 60 ft isn't even worth driving to the track. A stock powered car will get a 1.65 60 ft when it hooks so anything less is less than an ideal run, why bother? Because going in a straight line in 13.5 seconds is "fun?"

I race NHRA and IHRA Super Stock, race shifter karts, own some very high HP cars, tune stock cars and trucks as well as powerful ones.... I don't know what your background is besides having a supercharger on a Camaro but encouraging people to spend good money on tires to take to the track that simply do not have great traction is a horrible recommendation.

Why not just use what works best the first time??? The guy didn't say he wants a daily driver tire that works better than stock at the drag strip. he asked where he can get some decent drag radials. Key word is decent. Decent starts at BFG. Nittos are hardly decent (for the strip).

OP, if you are looking for something to use at the strip (and drive to and from the strip) I recommend Mickey Thompsons all day long. If you are looking for something you can put on your car without swapping them out, BFGs are better than Nittos but either will work.

If you go with MT, keep in mind radials are great for an automatic but if you have a stick, I only use ET Streets (non-radials). The sidewall takes the hit of the stick much better, radials hop and break parts....

Here is a clip of my old Z06 on ET Streets (non radials). Headers and a 100 dry shot only (and Pfadt coilovers on road course mode, lol):

http://www.streetfire.net/video/2001...gto_139156.htm

lexlueger 07-08-2012 05:18 PM

lexlueger
Nitto 555R
305/45/R18 Nittos hook...case closed. They may not have worked for you. I've run hoosiers/M/T/Nitto. The hoosiers are the most consistent of the three. I saw no increase in 6o times with nitto 555r/nt05r vs the M/T's. The hoosiers seem to be the superior drag radials on our platform.

Higgs Boson 07-08-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexlueger (Post 5255764)
lexlueger
Nitto 555R
305/45/R18 Nittos hook...case closed.

I would not say case closed based on that, lol. You have a lot of HP to be able to even spin to a 1.56. If my race car spins it turns a 1.39, does that mean it hooked? No.

There are 100 examples of "nittos suck" for every example like yours.

However, there are good reviews on the NT05r.

BTW, have you tried a MT on your car (non-radial)? You may find even faster times. Unless you launched as hard as possible with no spin, there is more there.

BTW, what 1/4 mile time did that result in?

edit: I see you ninja edited. I agree, Hoosiers are also a good option. They are an even more dedicated tire than the MT, IMO.

lexlueger 07-08-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 5255795)
I would not say case closed based on that, lol. You have a lot of HP to be able to even spin to a 1.56. If my race car spins it turns a 1.39, does that mean it hooked? No.

There are 100 examples of "nittos suck" for every example like yours.

However, there are good reviews on the NT05r.

BTW, have you tried a MT on your car? You may find even faster times. Unless you launched as hard as possible with no spin, there is more there.

BTW, what 1/4 mile time did that result in?

edit: I see you ninja edited. I agree, Hoosiers are also a good option. They are an even more dedicated tire than the MT, IMO.

Can you read? I said I saw no improvement in 60 times with the M/T:iono:. Another know it all internet hero.:sm0:

Higgs Boson 07-08-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexlueger (Post 5255819)
Can you read? I said I saw no improvement in 60 times with the M/T:iono:. Another know it all internet hero.:sm0:

Yes, I can, can you? I acknowledged your ninja edit, which you chose not to read, I chose not to delete anything from mine. Lol, who can't read? Now you're just being an ass.

I've made my recommendation. I won't call you any names. And I'm no hero. Just smarter than you are, I see you take offense to it. I understand. It must be difficult to be you. Maybe one day I can understand the pain you suffered in your life. Probably not though. Now, go get Superman, comic boy. I liked that movie when I was like 5.

lexlueger 07-08-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 5255835)
Yes, I can, can you? I acknowledged your ninja edit, which you chose not to read, I chose not to delete anything from mine. Lol, who can't read? Now you're just being an ass.

I've made my recommendation. I won't call you any names.

Ninja edit? COOL STORY BRO.

The thread is about drag radials. I sure the OP in interested in someone with real world experience with these tires on a 5th gen not some internet super racer with a garage queen...

Higgs Boson 07-08-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexlueger (Post 5255855)
Ninja edit? COOL STORY BRO.

The thread is about drag radials. I sure the OP in interested in someone with real world experience with these tires on a 5th gen not some internet super racer with a garage queen...

First, my race car is not a garage queen and my camaro is my daily, lol. What garage queen do I own? Are you now just going to throw odd things to say out there? What garage queen are you talking about, seriously? Are you on something?

Second, do you know what a ninja edit is? It means you clicked edit to add more info moments before I clicked reply. Had I clicked Quote, it would have read differently than your final post.

Cool story bro, lol.... I can see you have no ability to correlate appropriate internet memes and comeback lines to their appropriate comments or statements. I would have had to tell a story to get a "cool story bro."

You are highly entertaining. What random and unaccounted for statement will you make next?

As I have already stated, I have experience with all of the tires in question. Why are you making asinine statements? Completely false....

lexlueger 07-08-2012 05:54 PM

OP does not drive a race car moron. It's not a Z06 either. Your experience is as vast as your eagerness to prove your intelligence (or lack thereof) in a thread about tires.:facepalm: Dude your tool level is near EPIC proportions.

lexlueger 07-08-2012 05:56 PM

OP is looking for tires that work on his particular application. If your don't race your 5th Gen Camaro please STFU.

Higgs Boson 07-08-2012 06:18 PM

Whatever man. The 5th gen is a car, just like any other. I see you are one of "those people" who think it's something it isn't. Also, you started out by quoting me, not the other way around. You could have simply stated your opinion and we could have both moved on. Obviously you think you are something you are not as well. Don't let your pride get the best of you. I was trying to be nice and somewhat agreeable earlier and you just decided to be a douche. Be who you are. Later.

AdamZ 07-08-2012 08:18 PM

You guys are bickering over tires :bellyroll:

Thanks for the info both of you. I will definitely check everything out.

Any chance you guys could link me to something since you probably have a better idea of what I need.

I will be putting them on the rear specifically for drags. When I am done I will be ptuuing the pirellis back on.

Supercharged SS 07-08-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamZ (Post 5256566)

Any chance you guys could link me to something since you probably have a better idea of what I need.

I will be putting them on the rear specifically for drags. When I am done I will be ptuuing the pirellis back on.

Are you looking for an 18" wheel as well?

Higgs Boson 07-08-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

:)

I know, I feel ashamed. if you have a 6 speed then I recommend bias ply Mickey Thompson et streets, biggest is 17 inch though. otherwise, et street radials in your size, Hoosiers or lex likes nittos....

HufferSS 07-08-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 5255743)
I will agree they are better than a stock tire but they still spin. I am not sure what your definition of "just fine" is but I have had Nittos, BFGs, and MT ET Streets and Street Radials on my street cars and Nittos are terrible for good 60 fts.

With a MT you can dump the clutch at 6 grand if you want and they will hook and that is with 850 HP in my Z06....

I have had Nitto 555Rs with 400 HP that don't hook.... To me, a 1.8 or 1.9 60 ft isn't even worth driving to the track. A stock powered car will get a 1.65 60 ft when it hooks so anything less is less than an ideal run, why bother? Because going in a straight line in 13.5 seconds is "fun?"

I race NHRA and IHRA Super Stock, race shifter karts, own some very high HP cars, tune stock cars and trucks as well as powerful ones.... I don't know what your background is besides having a supercharger on a Camaro but encouraging people to spend good money on tires to take to the track that simply do not have great traction is a horrible recommendation.

Why not just use what works best the first time??? The guy didn't say he wants a daily driver tire that works better than stock at the drag strip. he asked where he can get some decent drag radials. Key word is decent. Decent starts at BFG. Nittos are hardly decent (for the strip).

OP, if you are looking for something to use at the strip (and drive to and from the strip) I recommend Mickey Thompsons all day long. If you are looking for something you can put on your car without swapping them out, BFGs are better than Nittos but either will work.

If you go with MT, keep in mind radials are great for an automatic but if you have a stick, I only use ET Streets (non-radials). The sidewall takes the hit of the stick much better, radials hop and break parts....

Here is a clip of my old Z06 on ET Streets (non radials). Headers and a 100 dry shot only (and Pfadt coilovers on road course mode, lol):

http://www.streetfire.net/video/2001...gto_139156.htm

I have run 1.6x 60' times on a Nitto DR many times. They were 05s as opposed to 555 but still a decent street/strip tire. In case you didn't know.....you are kind of full of yourself dude.

Quote:

I race NHRA and IHRA Super Stock, race shifter karts, own some very high HP cars, tune stock cars and trucks as well as powerful ones....
:facepalm:

People are funny. Oh well.

Supercharged SS 07-08-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 5256793)
:)

I know, I feel ashamed. if you have a 6 speed then I recommend bias ply Mickey Thompson et streets, biggest is 17 inch though. otherwise, et street radials in your size, Hoosiers or lex likes nittos....

He can't get a 17" unless he's willing to pay $600+ per wheel. Most likely he will be getting 18's because you can get a vette wheel for next to nothing. I went into the 10's on an 18" M & H drag radial. 1.60 60's. It was a nice tire.

HufferSS 07-08-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Forget these two bozos...I think they might be in love. :sm0:

If you are going to use them for a strip only application and want to run your regular radials on the street then I would definitely go ET streets. They hook the best but are a terrible tire out on the street...any rain will put you in the ditch unless you slow down to a crawl and they won't wear very well.....but if you are willing to change them over to race then they hook the best.

Ninja edit: Jamie is right...go with 18s as the wheel choices are dirt cheap. Most people use Corvette wheels.

Ninja edit #2: If you are going to run your regular radials in the front then think twice about running the bias ply version of ET Streets.....mixing radials and bias can give you a squirrely ride on the big end. Many have done it, but be prepared if that's the route you go.

Good luck.

Supercharged SS 07-08-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HufferSS (Post 5256830)
Forget these two bozos...I think they might be in love. :sm0:

If you are going to use them for a strip only application and want to run your regular radials on the street then I would definitely go ET streets. They hook the best but are a terrible tire out on the street...any rain will put you in the ditch unless you slow down to a crawl and they won't wear very well.....but if you are willing to change them over to race then they hook the best.

Ninja edit: Jamie is right...go with 18s as the wheel choices are dirt cheap. Most people use Corvette wheels.

Good luck.

:iono:

Wtf is a ninja edit?

HufferSS 07-08-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged SS (Post 5256848)
:iono:

Wtf is a ninja edit?

Who knows....but it was apparently a big deal to Boson Higgenbottom the professional racer/photographer and most interesting man in the world so I figured I would add one to my post too.

:D

AdamZ 07-08-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged SS (Post 5256580)
Are you looking for an 18" wheel as well?

Whatever will work lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged SS (Post 5256805)
He can't get a 17" unless he's willing to pay $600+ per wheel. Most likely he will be getting 18's because you can get a vette wheel for next to nothing. I went into the 10's on an 18" M & H drag radial. 1.60 60's. It was a nice tire.

Many people have told me to get those vette wheels bc they are cheap and hook well. I don't know what kind of wheel that is though lol.

Supercharged SS 07-08-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HufferSS (Post 5256928)
Who knows....but it was apparently a big deal to Boson Higgenbottom the professional racer/photographer and most interesting man in the world so I figured I would add one to my post too.

Wait, so he is able to take pictures of himself drag racing?!:sm0: That's def some ninja shit right there!:laugh: Currently I'm only qualified to tackle one task at a time so no ninja title for me.:(

Supercharged SS 07-08-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamZ (Post 5256947)
Whatever will work lol.

Many people have told me to get those vette wheels bc they are cheap and hook well. I don't know what kind of wheel that is though lol.

Ok, on the vette wheel you'll need a 40 mm offset. Here's what you should do. PM Blazzin on here. That guy is the vette wheel pimp. He knows what will work and what's the best place. I got mine in 2009 but they were like $250 each. He can do much better.

AdamZ 07-08-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged SS (Post 5256970)
Ok, on the vette wheel you'll need a 40 mm offset. Here's what you should do. PM Blazzin on here. That guy is the vette wheel pimp. He knows what will work and what's the best place. I got mine in 2009 but they were like $250 each. He can do much better.

Cool I will do that thanks

Higgs Boson 07-08-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HufferSS (Post 5256928)

I can't believe you fools never heard of ninja edits. :laugh:

hey it's all in good fun, I don't care what tire anyone uses. I just don't think if you are going to directly quote someone and be unnecessarily disrespectful you shouldn't expect dumbassery in return.

btw, if it says "last edited" then you have not completed a ninja edit. that's just a regular edit. :thumbup:

Supercharged SS 07-08-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 5257388)
I can't believe you fools never heard of ninja edits. :laugh:

hey it's all in good fun, I don't care what tire anyone uses. I just don't think if you are going to directly quote someone and be unnecessarily disrespectful you shouldn't expect dumbassery in return.

btw, if it says "last edited" then you have not completed a ninja edit. that's just a regular edit. :thumbup:

We need a "ninja edit" button!:D. I'd push that shit all the time!!:laugh:

SixGracing 07-08-2012 11:59 PM

Here is my first experience with the Nitto 555R this weekend. This is my daughter driving and although her burnout wasn't the greatest you here the tires chirp pretty good instead of hookinig up. Plus it was hot and the track was sticky. These tires should have hooked. These are the Nitto 555R 20" 305's. Listen on her launch, you can hear them..

The car is around 450 at the wheels and the DA this particular day was a terrible 7100'! So her time actually translates to about an 11.6 @ 120 MPH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trejYA4GgdA

HufferSS 07-09-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SixGracing (Post 5257617)
Here is my first experience with the Nitto 555R this weekend. This is my daughter driving and although her burnout wasn't the greatest you here the tires chirp pretty good instead of hookinig up. Plus it was hot and the track was sticky. These tires should have hooked. These are the Nitto 555R 20" 305's. Listen on her launch, you can hear them..

The car is around 450 at the wheels and the DA this particular day was a terrible 7100'! So her time actually translates to about an 11.6 @ 120 MPH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trejYA4GgdA

Listening is a horrible way of determining whether they work or not....what was her 60'? Automatic or Stick? I don't see an ounce of tire smoke lingering from a burnout either. She is flashing the converter as well instead of coming up on it....so you have a lot of things to fix before blaming a tire.

The bigger diameter wheel...the harder it is to hook...no matter what brand of tire you use.

daveagogo1 07-09-2012 08:03 AM

Sorry but a 1.65 on your average stock 5th gen with nothing but DR's made me LOL just a bit.

Ninja edit: ok i will be honest. It made me LOL a bunch.

HufferSS 07-09-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveagogo1 (Post 5258466)
Sorry but a 1.65 on your average stock 5th gen with nothing but DR's made me LOL just a bit.

Clearly you didn't see the part where he races go karts....don't question him. :rules:

daveagogo1 07-09-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HufferSS (Post 5258484)
Clearly you didn't see the part where he races go karts....don't question him. :rules:

:bow: right on. Apparently i need to just park mine. Go grab a rental, toss on some DR's and let her rip. Hell maybe i will toss on a bigger sway and some trailing arms and shoot for some 1.5 60's courtesy of AVIS.

lexlueger 07-09-2012 08:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm NO bozo!:facepalm:

Ninja edit: ok sometimes:(

MudderFinger 07-09-2012 09:11 AM

I have ran a 1.542 60ft on Nitto Nt05r 315/35/20, but the tire does not hook well enough for me. So they are better than stock and coud be used depending on your power level.
Here is an article doing a drag radial shooout with Nittos coming out on top of the MT ET, but not much difference.
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...t/viewall.html

Higgs Boson 07-09-2012 09:50 AM

that is also something I didn't mention is sticking with 20s.... get the smallest wheel you can fit. more tire sidewall is better.

Higgs Boson 07-09-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HufferSS (Post 5258484)

damn straight!:bellyroll:

and until you race a shifter kart, don't knock it. it may not be quite what you think....

and my super stock car has a little tiny 327 with a carb and will put the hurt on the supercharged 5th gen specialty unicorn cars. lol. of course I am under very strict rules in my class, hell the heads are 1968 castings.....tiny little valves.....I am not saying this just to be an Internet tough guy. I race competitively. I am legit yo. lol. on the circuit.

can't you jacks see I am only trying to get under your skin? we are talking about street cars and dot tires. this isn't the epitome of racing technology and understanding....

yes I realize I am being an idiot in this thread, but only because you respond so well to it.

all it takes is money to make a car go fast. it doesn't mean you built it. it doesn't even mean you know what you're talking about. it means you gave someone money. wow. I think there may be one or two in this thread. experts by proxy.