Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Diode Dynamics Grill Lights (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563080)

SL33P3R 10-03-2019 01:20 PM

Diode Dynamics Grill Lights

Reaching out for some more help. While Diode Dynamics has been great trying to fix my issue we are running out of ideas so I decided to try the forum as I know several of you have these kits.

I installed their multi-color grill LED kit. Great kit. Easy install. But after 3 LED strips and 2 controllers I still can't work out the gremlins. I get the solid green light which indicates a polarity issue. I flip the 4 wire connector and I get nothing. For power I used a fuse tap in the driver's side fuse box and tapped one of the 20 amp accessory fuses so the LEDs are on/off with the ignition. For the ground on the controller I cleaned up the extra mounting stud for the stock air box since it was available after switching to a RotoFab. Last night I tried the hot direct to the positive post under the hood and the ground to the ground stud on the driver's inner fender. Same issue. Solid green one way and nothing when I flip the connector. The LED strip to 4 way splitter is the only connector that could be flipped.

Anyone else run into this? Suggestions? Going to try bypassing the switch tonight but I can't believe that would cause a polarity issue but both my contact at DD and I are out of ideas. Before I try a whole new kit I am hoping someone has an "you idiot. you need too....." solution for me.

Sparko 10-03-2019 04:31 PM

If this is an RGB LED setup and the 4-wire connector goes to the LED strip, flipping the connector won't work because 1 wire should be constant hot (or ground) and the other three would be opposite. This would depend on the type of diodes they designed it with whether it's common + or common -. If you have the LED strip disconnected you should be able to figure out this with a volt meter. What exactly did they say regarding the light indicating a polarity issue? That could mean different things, control module polarity or POU device polarity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

SL33P3R 10-04-2019 08:26 AM

Electricians confuse this carpenter. LOL. I will borrow a volt meter and find what wire in the strip plug is the "hot". Then if I find the "hot" on the controller I should be good??

I don't know the details on the green light being controller or POU. If I had to guess (not knowing much about LEDs) is that their plugs have the hot on one side and the green on the other side. If you reverse the plug you are feeding the hot direct into the green circuit causing the solid green. And if you reverse it you have the hot to hot, red to red, etc. Just a theory but makes sense to me.

Good news is that Diode Dynamics is sending me a whole new kit and are determined to make sure I a happy customer. That is stand up IMO. We hear of too many companies that just say "your problem" and move on.

Hopefully I get something figured out.

Mike14bumblebee 10-04-2019 09:27 AM

Double check all your connections are good and use dieletric grease. I have been having an issue with my halos that I will be correcting over the winter. Rewiring and soldering them and connecting inside the car instead of under the hood. Cant believe for the cost of these lights these companies cant put connectors on that will only connect one way. Simple and would eliminate probably a ton of their warranties. Thumbs up to DD though, love their products. too bad they dont make the coloured halos for 14-15s

Sparko 10-05-2019 04:09 PM

This is why you can't just flip the connector to fix the polarity. This is also the two different ways this could be made from the factory, common + or common -.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...31443cab95.jpg