Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   LS3 V8`s and Regular Gas (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35229)

mickss 08-01-2009 12:38 PM

LS3 V8`s and Regular Gas

First let me start out by saying that I already know what some forum member`s feelings are about using regular gas in their LS3`s. All I`m asking for here are facts and not opinions as to what if anything would happen with prolonged use of 87-89 octane fuels?

PS, I know some of us like using this :facepalm: when they someone is asking what they believe is a stupid or uniformed question, so I`ll do it for you. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

DDustiNN 08-01-2009 12:47 PM

Honestly it's not that much more expensive... you'd spend like maybe $3-4 more per tank... you'll barely even notice it. And your car will love you more ;)

mickss 08-01-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDustiNN (Post 746968)
Honestly it's not that much more expensive... you'd spend like maybe $3-4 more per tank... you'll barely even notice it. And your car will love you more ;)

Thanks Dustin, I realize what the price difference is per tank, I`m more interested in what the damage if any would be.

hot ss 08-01-2009 12:59 PM

detonation until it revers to the lower spark table. id say it would be fine if you never bag it. if your driving mi=ss daisy and not loading up the powertrain, itll live.
after a month, send a rigid 9mm camera down the spark plug hole, and have a peeksky.
FYI, i call ed the dealer yesterday and told them when the car gets here, if they put in any gas at all, put in 91, or dont put in anything.

97one 08-01-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickss (Post 746951)
First let me start out by saying that I already know what some forum member`s feelings are about using regular gas in their LS3`s. All I`m asking for here are facts and not opinions as to what if anything would happen with prolonged use of 87-89 octane fuels?

PS, I know some of us like using this :facepalm: when they someone is asking what they believe is a stupid or uniformed question, so I`ll do it for you. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

As long as you don't here any pinging, which you shouldn't ( most if not all new cars adjust for the lower octane and have for many Yrs.) There should NOT be any long term problem. I have used 87 octane in my 2005 Hemi for over 34,000 miles NO problem. BUT I am sure you know you will lose a very small amount of power,maybe a few HP. without a timing device you will never notice it.

Iron Lung Jimmy 08-01-2009 01:17 PM

All cars are REQUIRED to be able to run on 87 octane... all cars.

Running 87 octane will not hurt your car. The only thing 87 octane will do is cause your computer to pull some timing so you won't have as much power if you get on it hard. That's it.

If you don't mind a little less power run 87 octane all you want.

MikeZ28 08-01-2009 03:42 PM

I don't understand people paying for a premium high-performance engine/car, and then wanting to put regular unleaded in it. You might as well get the V6 model which has plenty of pep and better gas mileage, and is substantially cheaper. But to each his own, I agree with the prior posts that the car will not be damaged.

Bbrock25 08-01-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeZ28 (Post 747320)
I don't understand people paying for a premium high-performance engine/car, and then wanting to put regular unleaded in it. You might as well get the V6 model which has plenty of pep and better gas mileage, and is substantially cheaper. But to each his own, I agree with the prior posts that the car will not be damaged.

:word: If u can't afford the extra $4 tops per fillup, shoulda went with a v6 imo.

jpsuperman81 08-01-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbrock25 (Post 747356)
:word: If u can't afford the extra $4 tops per fillup, shoulda went with a v6 imo.

:word:

It really amazes me people simply refuse to put premium gas in their premium car. With tax, tag and all that stuff my 2ss/RS will be nearly a 40k car and I won't think twice about putting preium gas in it. It is reccomended for a reason. I don't think twice about putting it in my honda civic si which also suggests it, and i don't think twice about filling my bike up with it which also suggests/requires premium. I could understand if premium was twice as much or something but its what .30 on average. This refusal to put premum or negativity towards it will always amaze me.:iono:

Autobot 08-01-2009 06:56 PM

VP Gas

I'm thinking of trying some VP fuel there is a place In Cresson thats near by just pull right up to the pump.

mickss 08-01-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 (Post 747452)
:word:

It really amazes me people simply refuse to put premium gas in their premium car. With tax, tag and all that stuff my 2ss/RS will be nearly a 40k car and I won't think twice about putting preium gas in it. It is reccomended for a reason. I don't think twice about putting it in my honda civic si which also suggests it, and i don't think twice about filling my bike up with it which also suggests/requires premium. I could understand if premium was twice as much or something but its what .30 on average. This refusal to put premum or negativity towards it will always amaze me.:iono:

OK let me explain why I was asking about burning regular. The car I currently use for my daily driver during the summer runs 92 octane, last year about this time of year in our area of N.Y.S 92 octane hit $4.50, before gas shot up last year, gas prices and fuel mileage where not an issue for me, I just liked cruising and I didn`t care about prices until last year then I found out what my pain threshold was for premium was. So I retarded the timing, installed new plugs and started burning 89 octane.

Now given the state of the Middle East where a major hick-up could cause a major jump in the price of a barrel of oil or a Katina hits the Gulf or any other things that could have an effect on the price of oil I just wanted to know what my options are should those prices I stated earlier happen again. If I should order a SS LS3 and if those sky high prices return, believe me I`ll have no problem with burning 89 again until the prices return to a sane level.

I`m waiting until about the first of the year to order and it`s really hard trying to choose either the LS3 or the V6 and it`s not a case of money I also find myself being very impressed with the V6, I mean what`s a boy to do, choose the car that runs almost flat 13`s and gets 24 MPG or a V6 that turns very respectable 14.5`s and also gets good mileage.

Choosing is a problem I don`t mind having, either way I wind up with a good looking car...........now if I could also just pick a color!

Edit; I also forgot to mention that at this time last year oil company`s were reporting record profits, another reason I don`t want to pay out nose to those SOB`s.

Super83Z 08-01-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

I`m waiting until about the first of the year to order and it`s really hard trying to choose either the LS3 or the V6 and it`s not a case of money
Money is not a problem but $4.00 more on a fill-up is a deal breaker? I'm sorry but 29 MPG over 24 MPG would not be a deal breaker esp if price was again not a problem.

To the original question, nothing will be harmed. The PCM will retard timing to stymie detonation and also cut power along with it.

mickss 08-01-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super83Z (Post 748502)
Money is not a problem but $4.00 more on a fill-up is a deal breaker? I'm sorry but 29 MPG over 24 MPG would not be a deal breaker esp if price was again not a problem.

To the original question, nothing will be harmed. The PCM will retard timing to stymie detonation and also cut power along with it.

No the difference in price this time last year between 92 and 89 octane was almost 40 cents a gallon difference and with a 20 gallon tank(my car) it figured to be $8.00 more to fill-up, are you quoting current price`s and what size gas tank to arrive at a $4.00 more per fill-up?

But let`s leave at this, people do as you wish with your purchase and I`ll do the same. ;)

Edit; had to rephase a portion of my last comment from "you" to "people" sounded to much like a shot at Super82Z, sorry about that.

My new Camaro 08-01-2009 11:53 PM

from a person who sells gasoline. reg unlead is usually higher in octane than87.it just is atleast 87