Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - Southeast (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   GA Camaro owners (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506959)

GeorgiaCamaro6 09-04-2017 12:10 PM

GA Camaro owners

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all; I wasn't sure where to post this,but I am curious if anyone here in Georgia who is a Gen 5 Camaro owner has ever swapped a V6 to a V8? I have heard all kinds of nonsense about how you'd have to swap the rear axle...ect..ect. I want some feed back from people who actually have done it,and the costs of it totally. I like the idea of a sleeper in the sense of no SS badges,and it appears as a V6 camaro. Seeing as every dealer just wants to rip me off on my trade in and low ball me I am just gonna swap engines. Just looking to see what it will cost,and any tips that someone might have on the process or what to avoid ect.

spyderbuddy 09-04-2017 09:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
hell who wants a v8, i want to swap in a tesla driveline

TheRainman 09-06-2017 10:37 AM

You'd be better off selling the car privately and then using the cash from that sale to buy an SS car. Swapping from a V6 to a V8 is not as easy as just pulling the old and dropping in the new and usually involves having to drop the tank, change fuel pumps, ECU's, possibly some electronics under the dash to get your gauges right...etc...etc. It's usually more time and effort than you could just swap cars for.

Not to mention, when you go to sell it...any prospective buyer is going to be very leary of a car that's had an engine swap.

Just my .02 on it, but do what makes ya happy. :)

BTW - should be getting my ZL1 from CarMax here in the next week or two. Had one shipped in from Ohio. I'm out in Paulding county.

SquawkVFR 09-06-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyderbuddy (Post 9893866)
hell who wants a v8, i want to swap in a tesla driveline

THAT^^^^

GeorgiaCamaro6 09-08-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRainman (Post 9895732)
You'd be better off selling the car privately and then using the cash from that sale to buy an SS car. Swapping from a V6 to a V8 is not as easy as just pulling the old and dropping in the new and usually involves having to drop the tank, change fuel pumps, ECU's, possibly some electronics under the dash to get your gauges right...etc...etc. It's usually more time and effort than you could just swap cars for.

Not to mention, when you go to sell it...any prospective buyer is going to be very leary of a car that's had an engine swap.

Just my .02 on it, but do what makes ya happy. :)

BTW - should be getting my ZL1 from CarMax here in the next week or two. Had one shipped in from Ohio. I'm out in Paulding county.

Well the swap i was looking at was a crate engine from Chevy themsevles which has the ECU+Wire harness already included as part of the package. only thing i didn't consider was the fuel pumps which i've found some from pull-a-part which was awesome. Personally I don't plan on ever selling this car. This was my dream car ever since i got my first job at 18 years old (grant it only turning 30 now but still) to own a Camaro,and fell in love with this model specifically when they came back in 2010. As nice as the new Gen 6 camaros are this car is going no where. =)

I was just simply hoping that maybe someone might have some insight on everything like you just pointed out somethings i didn't think about like the fuel pump.

ChibiBlackSheep 09-08-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgiaCamaro6 (Post 9898657)
Well the swap i was looking at was a crate engine from Chevy themsevles which has the ECU+Wire harness already included as part of the package

I assume you are talking about the Connect and Cruise line? While yes, you get an engine with an ECU and harness... it's not technically just plug and play with YOUR car. It's plug and play for an older car. You power the ECU, and it has what is needed to fire the engine.

Our newer cars are way more complicated than that. The harness from the engine has to go to our dashboards, our ECM/BCM/TCM, etc. Sometimes you even need to worry about power steering, or brakes. Hell even the odometer is connected through the BCM on modern cars. It truly is a ton of work, and you will lose money and have an inferior car.

Yes you will have a sleeper look, but you also won't have a suspension meant for the power and weight, nor brakes for it. If you wanted the sleeper look, it truly would be easier and way more cost effective to just buy an SS and swap a v6 front clip.

camaro2ss/rs 09-08-2017 04:13 PM

i have to ask i long have you had your v6 for...i see you have 3 posts please do tell

GeorgiaCamaro6 09-08-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro2ss/rs (Post 9898724)
i have to ask i long have you had your v6 for...i see you have 3 posts please do tell

December 2015 is when i bought it at 78,000 miles. I created my account here April 2016 when i was looking to change out my exhaust,and just recently was entertaining the idea of a swap,but finding that further out of reach than i expected.

GeorgiaCamaro6 09-08-2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 9898715)
I assume you are talking about the Connect and Cruise line? While yes, you get an engine with an ECU and harness... it's not technically just plug and play with YOUR car. It's plug and play for an older car. You power the ECU, and it has what is needed to fire the engine.

Our newer cars are way more complicated than that. The harness from the engine has to go to our dashboards, our ECM/BCM/TCM, etc. Sometimes you even need to worry about power steering, or brakes. Hell even the odometer is connected through the BCM on modern cars. It truly is a ton of work, and you will lose money and have an inferior car.

Yes you will have a sleeper look, but you also won't have a suspension meant for the power and weight, nor brakes for it. If you wanted the sleeper look, it truly would be easier and way more cost effective to just buy an SS and swap a v6 front clip.

Dang they changed the modern models that much? I mean i am no 30-40 year GM mechanic like my father,but dang. He was wondering the same thing when reading your post because the last Camaros he worked on was the Gen 4 models and knows what kind of heck they are to deal with.

onegoofydad 09-15-2017 09:56 AM

Cheaper to add some FI to the V6.....Keep the RS badges, true sleeper.

GeorgiaCamaro6 09-29-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onegoofydad (Post 9906500)
Cheaper to add some FI to the V6.....Keep the RS badges, true sleeper.

Yeah i just got a quote from the owner of STS turbos and he told me it would cost roughly 5-6,000$ to drop a turbo system on my V6.

SquawkVFR 09-29-2017 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 899393

GeorgiaCamaro6 10-21-2017 08:41 PM

cool pic ?

Rahnok 02-24-2018 03:42 AM

It’s an opened can of worms... you opened a can of worms