Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Well... Its not normal (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398169)

arkentect 03-02-2015 08:33 AM

Well... Its not normal

So I got in the camaro this morning. Started the car up and everything was fine. Started my drive to work and after the car was warmed up I started hearing almost a knocking noise in sync with the rpms.

I know people say the v6 injectors are loud and ive gotten used to the injectors. this is something totally different.

The knock/tick/click whatever you wanna call it is only audible when I step on the gas, at idle you cant hear it at all and the car sounds fine. I also notice when i pulled the car back into the garage the idle was around 600rpm which is lower than normal.

Its actually almost more noticable when you're in the car with the windows up.

Any ideas guys? do I have a bad rod or bearing? or lifter tick?

arkentect 03-02-2015 08:42 AM

Btw there is no performance loss or power cut... and no CEL... wouldnt a knock like this throw a cel?

arkentect 03-02-2015 09:41 AM

well I made an appointment to get the car looked at on thursday. Checked with the service desk and the powertrain warranty is still good till May 26th 2015 and I'm only 42k the 100k miles portion.

flyby191 03-02-2015 09:43 AM

I've been dealing with this problem for the last 10k...2014 V-6, knocks when warm lightly tapping on the accelerator. Idle also runs rough at time like the engine will die but the rpm's don't decrease. I have a GM complaint on file. I thinks it's a bad ECM or anti-knock sensor. Dealer says they calibrate the ecm at the factory. We'll see what they'll do next.

arkentect 03-02-2015 09:49 AM

Has your dealer not attempted to find out the cause of your issue? With your car being so new I would imagine they would try to rectify the situation asap

Jcashan 03-02-2015 11:22 AM

Check out my thread.... Sounds similar except mine threw a CEL for about 15 miles then went away. Had no power loss until a couple days later.... I hope for the best for you!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396043

arkentect 03-02-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcashan (Post 8267527)
Check out my thread.... Sounds similar except mine threw a CEL for about 15 miles then went away. Had no power loss until a couple days later.... I hope for the best for you!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396043

Ugh I hope not. With my warranty only 2 months away from being out they will def avoid honoring it.

If its a bearing issue and they dont honor the warranty I'll have a nice payment each month for my new paper weight.

Jcashan 03-02-2015 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkentect (Post 8267576)
Ugh I hope not. With my warranty only 2 months away from being out they will def avoid honoring it.

If its a bearing issue and they dont honor the warranty I'll have a nice payment each month for my new paper weight.

Truly depends on the dealer. Mine didn't ask a single question about what happened or when it started. Told them the problem left the car next i heard was GM is sending a replacement motor.

Good luck! keep us posted!

arkentect 03-05-2015 09:03 AM

Finally got the car up on a lift last night. Listened to the bottom of the motor while it was running and the ticking sound I hear doesnt seem to be coming from there. Also smelled ehaust while I was close to the engine so now im in search of a possible exhaust leak. Told the dealer tech to drop the pan and the open the filter to check for metal.

Just a waiting game now. Accomplishing nothing at work. Ugh. Havent slept good since all this went down lol. I might be attached haha

Jcashan 03-05-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkentect (Post 8274473)
Accomplishing nothing at work. Ugh. Havent slept good since all this went down lol. I might be attached haha

Its ok normal symptoms of a sick Camaro. I went through the same... Hoping for the best for you! Im going to get mine today.

arkentect 03-05-2015 12:28 PM

Well it looks as though the car gods have answered my prayers. Poor girl had an exhaust leak. of course it wasnt near the manifold so not a warranty job but never-the-less not a motor issue.
Waiting on the new gasket to be ordered. Mobil1 going in her from now on instead of Valvoline Syntec.
We'll see if the noise is gone when I pick her up tomorrow.

Jcashan 03-05-2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkentect (Post 8274947)
Well it looks as though the car gods have answered my prayers. Poor girl had an exhaust leak. of course it wasnt near the manifold so not a warranty job but never-the-less not a motor issue.
Waiting on the new gasket to be ordered. Mobil1 going in her from now on instead of Valvoline Syntec.
We'll see if the noise is gone when I pick her up tomorrow.

:clap2: Great to hear!

arkentect 03-10-2015 09:07 AM

Well... Picked the car up yesterday and within the time it took for her to warm up the noise was as loud and clear as it was when I dropped her off. I love when a dealer "fixes" something but doesnt drive it after to see if it actually took care of the problem.

Had the service manager ride with me in the car to hear the noise and he admitted that it shouldnt be making that noise.

As of this morning they have had numerous techs look at it and they cant seem to figure out what it is. The next step is probably tearing the motor apart. I got in contact with a GM rep just in case this how thing goes south.

Ugh is it bad ive already begun to expect the worst and have started looking at V8's?

arkentect 03-11-2015 07:35 AM

Add another LLT to the list. Got the motor apart yesterday and found a #4 Rod Bearing Failure.. it didnt spin but definitely failed and took the crank with it. Guess I got lucky it happened with 2 months left on my powertrain warranty.

I'm gonna fight for a new motor and not a repair. With the amount of miles and the possible contamination to the rest of the motor theres no way they're gonna be able to make the car perform like it should.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...ps2wfro2on.jpg