Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Torq's latest Whipple Supercharger build, big power inside! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124705)

Erik@Torq 01-17-2011 09:42 PM

Torq's latest Whipple Supercharger build, big power inside!

We just delivered our latest supercharged Camaro build and thought I would share some pictures and a video!

Marvin came to us with his spanking new 2010 2SS Camaro M6 straight from the dealer, he had only 69 miles on the clock when he fist showed up! Being a huge muscle car fan, he wanted a Camaro that would reminiscence the old school era with looks and sound, but with the power and driveability of a brand new car.

Showroom new!

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...S/DSC00077.jpg

We put together a package for him that suited his goals, and just a few days later got started with the build. For Stage 1 of this project, Marvin wanted at least 550-560rwhp, some suspension to get the power to the ground and of course some appearance mods to complete the package.

Project has started!

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...S/DSC00523.jpg

To reach his power goals we went with the following:
  • Camaro SS Whipple 2.9L Supercharger Kit
  • Camaro SS Kooks Custom Headers w/ Catted Connection Pipes
  • Camaro SS MBRP 3" Cat-back Exhaust

The awesome Whipple 2.9L Supercharger fits just perfect in there

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...S/DSC00631.jpg

We knew that these parts together would be plenty sufficient to reach his current goals, and also work great with his future plans as well. Details about that will come later!

To transform the Camaro into a Corner Carving beast and to help get all the newly found power to the ground we went to our good friends over at Pfadt Race Engineering. We have had awesome success with their parts and we can stand behind their product 100%!

Seeing that this is a pure street car, we wanted to add a little more responsiveness, feel and great handling without compromising the comfort and reliability of the great car GM created. To achieve that we put together the following package:

• Camaro SS Pfadt Lowering Springs
  • Camaro SS Pfadt Adjustable Sport Sway Bars
  • Camaro SS Pfadt Adjustable Tie Rods
  • Camaro SS Pfadt Rear Trailing Arms
  • Camaro SS MGW Short Throw Shifter

A perfect stance is always a perfect stance

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...S/DSC00636.jpg

Last but not least we added our custom Black-Out kit that includes tinted tail lights, side markers and satin black tail-light bezels. And just to add that little extra to her we did a custom vinyl black out panel as well. The black offsets the red in such a perfect way, she tuned out great!

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...S/DSC00639.jpg

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...S/DSC00641.jpg

When the Custom Dyno Tuning was all said and done, our goals were reached and also exceeded! As they say, a picture can say more then a thousand words, so can a dyno graph! The outcome was 576RWHP/510RWTQ on our Mustangdyno with a very streetable power curve, just as the doctor ordered :thumbsup:

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...eforeafter.jpg

Marvin will be back next week so we can mount his Custom made rims that should be arriving, as well as a very decent brake upgrade. This car is one mean machine and once those wheels and brakes are on it will look the part as well!

Here is a quick video we put together of the project, turn up the volume and enjoy the music of the LS3 and Whipple scream!

Torq Speedlab on YouTube - 2010 Camaro SS, Whipple Supercharger, Kooks and much more!

To see more projects like this, check out our website, and also our Facebook Page as these are both updated daily!

/Erik

thespymaster 01-17-2011 09:53 PM

Nice..................perfect combo of mods to make that C5 scream.

navyblueSS 01-18-2011 01:57 AM

Very nice! Car looks great and put down some awesome numbers.

alssiri 01-18-2011 03:30 AM

Nice build :thumbsup: Great numbers :bow:

Ahmad

mikepage0007 01-18-2011 06:19 AM

good job, looks greta

Erik@Torq 01-18-2011 08:21 AM

Thansk guys! As you can imagine Marvin was totally "blown" away with the found power! Going from bone stock with only a few miles on the clock, to this 650hp beast in just a matter of days is quite an experience.

Stay tuned for photos once we get the new wheels on, they are going to be so sick looking and really stand out.

/Erik

1stTimeV8r 01-18-2011 08:30 AM

Nice! I love the black out panel!

zr1gary 01-18-2011 08:32 AM

Very nice!
What diam. pulley was used?

Erik@Torq 01-18-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stTimeV8r (Post 2741619)
Nice! I love the black out panel!

I agree, it tuned out great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by zr1gary (Post 2741626)
Very nice!
What diam. pulley was used?

The stock pulley from Whipple, boost was pretty much where we wanted it to be with the Whipple tube and stock airbox!

DSX 01-18-2011 10:16 AM

I tuned a 2.9 Whipple car, and I have to say... I love that supercharger. The way it makes power is PERFECT for a street car! 627/550 is what it made, and the owner almost wanted it pullied up to make less boost because he wasn't used to it! Nice build. That rear blackout looks great.

radz28 01-18-2011 10:48 AM

KICK @$$ VIDEO! Great build, too!!!

calbert1999 01-19-2011 10:45 PM

Why a Whipple and not a Magnuson or ProCharger.

2010 SSRS 01-19-2011 10:58 PM

nice

Z_Rocks 01-19-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calbert1999 (Post 2748250)

If God asked you which one do you want as Lotto wining, a $2.3M or $2.9M, which one would you select? ;)

zr1gary 01-20-2011 08:36 AM

One reason I went with Whipple too

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z_Rocks (Post 2748376)
If God asked you which one do you want as Lotto wining, a $2.3M or $2.9M, which one would you select? ;)

:blackvertshift:

:D

94guy 01-20-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Won't be whipping up anything in my SS anytime soon. I'll leave that for the stanger' dudes. LOL

Erik@Torq 01-20-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

A few reasons! First, the customer requested it which is one quite important reason. The Whipple is also 2.9L vs. 2.3L for the Magnusson, and more street friendly compared to the Procharger. The Procharger is an awesome system and makes sick power, but the torque down low that you get with a positive displacement blower is just insane. The customer never races the car and it is pure street car and he really likes this style blower.

We have installed them all, Whipple, Magnusson, Vortech, Kenne Bell etc and each one has it's benefits! We will be doing another Whipple next week and after that a 2.8L Liquid Cooled Kenne Bell with a cam is on the schedule!

Thanks guys, we are also very happy with the outcome!

/Erik

Erik@Torq 01-20-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Haha that's funny :D

blufin 01-20-2011 07:43 PM

Great build guys. Very impressive.

03ss 01-20-2011 08:54 PM

Pictures Look great! I also like the rear black out panel. So what is the Peak boost you see with the Whipple? Curious how the long tubes and big 3 inch exhaust affected the boost. What power it put down with the Whipple tune?

Meister@Torq 01-21-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

We have done a lot of Maggy setups and wanted to try the whipple as we use them almost exclusively on our Ford builds. Amazing quality, amazing fit and finish including hoses, fittings, etc are top notch. It is a bigger, more efficient blower.

Why we did not go with a Centrifugal blower - Simple. A roots/twin screw is way more fun for a street car.

Meister@Torq 01-21-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03ss (Post 2751495)
Pictures Look great! I also like the rear black out panel. So what is the Peak boost you see with the Whipple? Curious how the long tubes and big 3 inch exhaust affected the boost. What power it put down with the Whipple tune?

Peak boost we saw, with the cut airbox (per Whipple's instructions) was a tick under 9psi. We typically do not see much of a pressure drop with the 1 7/8" headers and 3" exhaust.

Torq Dyno Results with Whipple Tune:

VEHICLE: 2010 6.2L
Manual Boost PSI: 8.7psi
Average AF: 11.9:1
RPM Limit: Stock
Exhaust: Kooks 1 7/8" Long Tubes w/ Catted X and MBRP Catback
Fuel: 93 octane
Temperature: 76.31° F
Barometric PSI: 29.98 In-Hg
Humidity: 45%
Hood: Open
SC RW SAE HP: 531
SC RW SAE TRQ: 487
Stock RW SAE HP: 355
Stock RW SAE TRQ: 342

We test every product we sell and provide our honest feedback. After installing Whipple's 2.9L supercharger on our customers 2010 Camaro SS with Whipple's tune we picked up a fantastic 177RWHP and 145RWTQ but were concerned with the amount of Knock Retard we were seeing both on the street and in our controlled dyno room.

We reset the ECM back to a factory stock calibration and began the calibration process. The final results with less timing and zero KR and a safer air fuel ratio were amazing. We picked up an additional 45RWHP and 23RWTQ! In addition to the WOT power and torque increases our tune provides additional throttle response and improved fuel economy and drive-ability.

calbert1999 01-21-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Hahaha..... that's obvious, but 2.3 or 2.9 get a different pulley or cog unit to produce more boost depending on your application. So, a 2.3 maggie or any procharger would have most likely been adequate.

For example to produce the numbers on this setup, they used almost 9psi., there are numerous setups using 6psi. with a ProCharger and getting same results.

So, if we were talking $, I'd say 2.9, but we're talking SC's so 2.3 or 2.9 probably not making much of a difference unless you engine has been heavily modified, and in that case you'd probably want a ProCharger F-1 or higher.

calbert1999 01-21-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik@Torq (Post 2749051)
A few reasons! First, the customer requested it which is one quite important reason. The Whipple is also 2.9L vs. 2.3L for the Magnusson, and more street friendly compared to the Procharger. The Procharger is an awesome system and makes sick power, but the torque down low that you get with a positive displacement blower is just insane. The customer never races the car and it is pure street car and he really likes this style blower.

We have installed them all, Whipple, Magnusson, Vortech, Kenne Bell etc and each one has it's benefits! We will be doing another Whipple next week and after that a 2.8L Liquid Cooled Kenne Bell with a cam is on the schedule!

Thanks guys, we are also very happy with the outcome!

/Erik

That's what I'm planning as well (SC with my blower cam) but I'm leaning towards the ProCharger D-1SC, I've seen a HO P-1 system, with stock fuel pump making 640rwhp / 450 - 560rwtq on 6psi., and a custom tune.

Meister@Torq 01-21-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calbert1999 (Post 2753451)
Hahaha..... that's obvious, but 2.3 or 2.9 get a different pulley or cog unit to produce more boost depending on your application. So, a 2.3 maggie or any procharger would have most likely been adequate.

For example to produce the numbers on this setup, they used almost 9psi., there are numerous setups using 6psi. with a ProCharger and getting same results.

So, if we were talking $, I'd say 2.9, but we're talking SC's so 2.3 or 2.9 probably not making much of a difference unless you engine has been heavily modified, and in that case you'd probably want a ProCharger F-1 or higher.

We compared a Maggy at the same boost level and same exhaust and the Whipple made about 27rwhp more with cooler IAT's.

radz28 01-21-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meister@Torq (Post 2754332)
We compared a Maggy at the same boost level and same exhaust and the Whipple made about 27rwhp more with cooler IAT's.

Were both tuned, or using canned tunes, and did one run with the OEM airbox or otherwise?

Meister@Torq 01-21-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calbert1999 (Post 2753527)
That's what I'm planning as well (SC with my blower cam) but I'm leaning towards the ProCharger D-1SC, I've seen a HO P-1 system, with stock fuel pump making 640rwhp / 450 - 560rwtq on 6psi., and a custom tune.

A couple of things to consider:
1. Our Mustang Dyno reads lower than what most are showing, which is on a dynojet. We know 575rwhp on our machine is 610rwhp on a dynojet.

2. We just finished a Maggy at 8.5psi with our blower cam and it made 610rwhp/540rwtq. On a dynojet this would be about 630-640rwhp and like 570rwtq.

3. Stock fuel pump is good to about 560rwhp on a Mustang Dyno. Fuel pressure will start to drop hard making AFR uncontrollable not allowing a tuner to hit target afr

4. A Maggy/Whipple will make way more power and torque under the curve so if there is traction that car will be faster. It is quite simple. A car that accelerates faster will be faster
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7456199_n.jpg

Look at the graph below 4500. Above 4500 the procharger fell on it's face because it was 130F in the shop and IAT's were through the roof on the procharger setup

Meister@Torq 01-21-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz28 (Post 2754346)
Were both tuned, or using canned tunes, and did one run with the OEM airbox or otherwise?

Both were custom tuned on our dyno. The maggy had a K&N and the procharger had the procharger inlet.

The reason I mentioned do not look above 4500 is that the spark really started to drop off on the procharger car with the super high temps.

1bacamaro 01-21-2011 07:58 PM

not sure paul if you are talking about my car with the maggie are not. My car with a maggie and pauls cam did 610wrhp on his dyno. going back here real soon to see what it will do with the meth. paul by far is the best tuner i have even seen. my car was on his dyno all day. the work he puts into his tunes is just crazy. wont let anyone else touch my car!

M6HuggerSS 01-21-2011 11:42 PM

great results! thanks for sharing...

does the whipple have a rear belt?
if so, do they offer a cog set-up like the maggie?

Meister@Torq 01-22-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS (Post 2755696)
great results! thanks for sharing...

does the whipple have a rear belt?
if so, do they offer a cog set-up like the maggie?

No the 2010 Camaro Whipple Supercharger uses an internal gear drive at the back of the blower. If you want to change boost they have an assortment of pulleys for the front and they offer an 8 and are coming out with a 10 rib setup. You can also put on an over driven crank pulley as well as a fully adjustable tensioner system

jsharp 01-22-2011 11:40 AM

Awesome! Torq was my second choice before deciding to go back to livernois but between build differences and shipping I could not make it happen. These guys are very informative and offer a lot of support. Great customer service and another great build!

Bad Dad 01-22-2011 07:21 PM

My whipple

My 2010 2 SS RS M6 WHIPPLE POWERED WILL BE HEADED FOR TORQ AS SOON AS I FINISH MY DRIVETRAIN WORK AND I GET THE INFO FROM ERIC ON THE BLOWER CAM KIT WICH 1bacamaro is running.:chevy:

Erik@Torq 01-22-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsharp (Post 2756686)
Awesome! Torq was my second choice before deciding to go back to livernois but between build differences and shipping I could not make it happen. These guys are very informative and offer a lot of support. Great customer service and another great build!

Thanks for the nice comments, let us know if there is ever anything we can do! Livernois is a super high quality shop as well so you can't go wrong there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Dad (Post 2757974)
My 2010 2 SS RS M6 WHIPPLE POWERED WILL BE HEADED FOR TORQ AS SOON AS I FINISH MY DRIVETRAIN WORK AND I GET THE INFO FROM ERIC ON THE BLOWER CAM KIT WICH 1bacamaro is running.:chevy:

Can't wait to see it Mike! The info is in your inbox as we speak :thumbup:

Bad Dad 01-22-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik@Torq (Post 2758001)
Thanks for the nice comments, let us know if there is ever anything we can do! Livernois is a super high quality shop as well so you can't go wrong there.

Can't wait to see it Mike! The info is in your inbox as we speak :thumbup:

Thanks ERIC i will check it out. I ordered the Pfadt solid subfame bushings from your site this evening.

Erik@Torq 01-22-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Dad (Post 2758073)
Thanks ERIC i will check it out. I ordered the Pfadt solid subfame bushings from your site this evening.

Awesome! Send me an email if you have any questions about it. I sent a confirmation for your order as well, thank you so much!

/Erik

radz28 01-22-2011 08:19 PM

Thanks for the comments. I've wondered about the IATs on the Prochargers because of the inlet location. I imagine, at speed, it wouldn't make much of a difference, but that's still something to consider.

1bacamaro 01-22-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Dad (Post 2757974)

so when are we going to start working on your car?:thumbup:

Bad Dad 01-22-2011 09:29 PM

ELINOR MEET ROXANN

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1bacamaro (Post 2758243)
so when are we going to start working on your car?:thumbup:

NEXT WEEKEND IS THE CAR SHOW AT THE GOLDEN GATE COMMUNITY CENTER I WANT TO TAKE HER THERE THEN ITS TIME TO PULL THE DRIVETRAIN APART. INSTALL ZR1 CLUTCH, PFADT SUBFRAME SOLID BUSHINGS, DRIVESHAFT SHOP 9" TRUTRACK WITH 3:70 GEARS AND 1400HP AXELS, PFADT TRAILERING ARMS. WE GET THAT IN AND WORKING GOOD THEN WE WILL DO THE CAM THEN HAUL IT TO TORQ.
:thumbup:

DarricSS 01-23-2011 12:04 AM

Those that are in the know choose Whipple :thumbsup: