Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Vrooma's Classy Night Fury Cammed 2012 CRT 2SS/RS Build Thread [COTW 5/12/14] (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217815)

vroomapunk 04-20-2012 12:49 AM

[For Sale] Vrooma's Classy Night Fury Cammed 2012 CRT 2SS/RS Build [COTW 5/12/14]

58 Attachment(s)
There have always been a lot of Camaros in my family, my dad has had 4 over his lifetime and in 98 and 99, my brother and sister got 4th gens; 8 years later in 2006 I got my license and picked up my own 4th gen, shown below. My dad still has his 79 Z28 with a big block 496.

Ive always thought the 35th anniversary edition was amazing looking, so I spent 6 years changing the entire interior, engine, transmission, rims, hood, stripes, exhaust, etc. All the while drooling over the 5th gen concept.

Once the 5th gen hit the streets in 09 I began saving, graduated in '11, got a job, sold my baby and ordered my Crystal Red 2SS RS as soon as CRT became available. Ordered on Feb 26th and picked her up April 13th (friday the 13th!).

Ordered my 5th gen exactly the way I wanted it:

Crystal Red Tintcoat
2SS/RS
No sunroof/stripes
Beige Interior

I found using Fbodfather's 2012 production figures that my car is about 1 of 11! See calculation

I knew it was rare because of the color and interior, but 1 out of 11 is crazy. Even crazier if you get into sunroof, heritage grille, stripe, or rim options.

Photoshoots:
4-13-12 First week I had her, Pic Thread
6-3-12 Night Shots, #38, Pic Thread
3-31-13 New Mods!, #142, Pic Thread
6-4-13 Burnout, new mods, parking garage, etc Pic Thread
7-20-13 Dyno Tune and Exhaust Video #200
1-1-14 Cam, LS3 conversion, Stall Install Page 14 , Install Thread, Idle Clip

Completed Mods:

Performance: 470rwhp 440rwtq (535hp/500tq)
Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam Motion Cam: 233/242 .631/.630 @ 113
YANK SS3200 Stall Converter
LS3 Conversion Page 14
Powerbond 25% U/D Pulley Page 14
6L80e Line Pressure Booster (Sonnax)
Welded drums in trans
BTR Rocker Trunnion Upgrade
Melling Oil Pump Page 14
C5R Timing Chain Page 14
Johnson Slow Leakdown Lifters
B & M trans cooler w/ Spal fan #427
SOLO Axle Back Exhaust with Quad 4" tips #70, #71, #72, #142 , #201 , Exhaust Video
Cold Air Inductions Intake- Black Powdercoat #85
Stainless Power LT 1 7/8" Headers #165, #174
Stainless Power High Flow Cats #165, #174
Lethal Racing Ported Intake
APEX Race scoop for CAI #165, #174
Lethal Racing/GPI/Futral Dyno Tune #197, #198, #200
R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors
Goodridge stainless brake lines
VMax Ported Throttle Body
Washer Bottle Delete #85
Elite two piece Catch Can in anodized red
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
160* Thermostat
Range V8 AFM Disabler #159 (removed)

Exterior:
ZL1 Grille, #85, #96
ZL1 Rear Diffuser #201
ZL1 Side Skirts
ZL1 5 Spoke Silver/Polished GM forged wheels 20x10 & 20x11
Anvil Notch Rear Spoiler
1LE Front Splitter
ZL1 Front Splash Guards
Black Out Lower Lip of front fascia, #18, #85, DIY Link (Later painted/cleared matte black)
Blacked out upper fascia grille area, #85, #96 (Later painted/cleared matte black)
CRT Calipers with Silver Brembo Logo #142
Painted front bowtie red outer, black inner, #2, #8, DIY Link (Later re-did in Crystal Red)
Painted rear bowtie black outer, red inner #2, #8 (Later re-did in Crystal Red)
Custom "Camaro SS" Fender Badges #415
Pinstriped my wheels, #24, DIY Link
Blacked out taillight bezels, #25
Flat Black hood Spears, #61, #142
6.2L Badges on the Cowl, #61, #142, DIY Link
SLP Fade To black Gill Inserts #142
Showstopper front splash shields
Window Tint
Modified Quad Exhaust Rear Diffuser, #71, #72, #142 (Removed)

Interior:
Hurst automatic shifter plate
GM Premium Black/Red Floormats #142
Lingenfelter Racing Pedals
"SS" center console lid from the 2014-15 SS
Painted Steering wheel bowtie and bezel crystal red/matte black
Painted Gauge bezel metallic matte black
Painted Air vent bezel metallic matte black

Lighting:
DRL Harness #96
LED DRLs, #86, #96
LED Dome light/trunk light
LED Switchback Turn signals #95, #96, DIY LINK
Showstopper Led Side Markers #142
Concept Afterburner Tail Lights (DIY) #276

Engine Compartment:
Paint engine Cover red and clearcoated black parts, #25, #85 (Later re-did in crystal red)
Painted fuse cover red, #25, #85 (Later re-did in crystal red)
Painted radiatior, oil, brake fluid, and strut tower caps, and dipstick Crystal Red
1LE Strut Tower Brace (painted black/crystal red)

Planned Mods / Wish List:

Performance:
Suspension is next

Exterior:
Lightly tinted Fog lenses, reverse lights, and blinkers

Interior:
Dye Stitching Red
Recaro seats
Dash ABL

Engine Compartment:
Emblempros underhood bowtie badge/plaque
Showstopper covers

Got my tips from here ---> http://tips.byethost4.com/dualindividual.html

Video after Night Fury cam install Updated walkaround 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzotoR-d3lI

11.91 @ 116mph on street tires 1/4 Mile run in Texas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip22IN5ExNI

vroomapunk 04-20-2012 09:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Painted my bowties today, Red outer/black inner for the front, black outer/red inner for the rear.

Heres the DIY if you're interested http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...15#post4840315

kjkjr27 04-20-2012 09:43 PM

Very nice like the bowties wanna do mine lol

vroomapunk 04-20-2012 09:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks, the front is easy, the rear was kind of aggravating, but it makes a huge difference! And I think it looks better than just putting vinyl in the middle.

And here are some pics of my interior

Jaime068 04-21-2012 07:53 AM

Love the interior! Crystal red is lighter that our red jewels right?

vroomapunk 04-21-2012 09:00 AM

Yeah, It is a little bit lighter in the shade. In the sun I think its about the same.

Overflow 04-21-2012 09:48 AM

Gahh.. I love CRT. :drool:

vroomapunk 04-21-2012 11:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Couple more bowtie pics, Thanks overflow!

dweeler 04-27-2012 06:56 PM

Hey vroom, looking at your planned mods, I noticed that you want to add a lot of ZL1 parts and do some work to make it look more like a ZL1 (i.e. blacking out lower lip of fascia).

I gotta ask..............why didn't you just get a ZL1???

vroomapunk 04-27-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweeler (Post 4877848)
Hey vroom, looking at your planned mods, I noticed that you want to add a lot of ZL1 parts and do some work to make it look more like a ZL1 (i.e. blacking out lower lip of fascia).

I gotta ask..............why didn't you just get a ZL1???

Price tag! Lol, I could swing the payments, but it would be stretching me a little thin, Im only 23 so the insurance would probably be a nightmare on it. Plus maintenance with the weird tires and bigger brakes, etc.

I also dont need the magnetic ride suspension, electric steering, and the supercharger. I would love it, but in reality, the amount of time ill be getting to the track would be a couple days a year, not enough to need that much power. I can def live with the 400 hp, plus a few extra from the planned mods for driving around town and commuting to work.

BUT! Since my last car, I love having a great, unique, looking car. No body kit compares to the ZL1 front fascia, side skirts, and rear diffuser IMO, so thats what Im going with.

Might get a ZL1 when this ones paid off, who knows, if the car treats me right, might keep it for 10 years.

dweeler 04-28-2012 12:57 AM

Well explained sir!! I can totally understand ALL of your reasoning.

I opted for the 2SS for many of the same reasons. The ZL1 is an awesome car, but for what I will be using my car for (when I finally get it!), the ZL1 is too much car for too big of a price tag! Also, higher maintenance costs, higher operating costs, gas guzzler tax, etc. are some of the other big reasons I don't need the biggest, baddest Camaro.

Anyway, best of luck with all your plans! I'm looking forward to seeing the work in progress and the finished product. I'm sure it will be awesome!

vroomapunk 04-28-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweeler (Post 4879078)
Well explained sir!! I can totally understand ALL of your reasoning.

I opted for the 2SS for many of the same reasons. The ZL1 is an awesome car, but for what I will be using my car for (when I finally get it!), the ZL1 is too much car for too big of a price tag! Also, higher maintenance costs, higher operating costs, gas guzzler tax, etc. are some of the other big reasons I don't need the biggest, baddest Camaro.

Anyway, best of luck with all your plans! I'm looking forward to seeing the work in progress and the finished product. I'm sure it will be awesome!

Likewise! Im sure you will love you car, I love mine, the color is my favorite part lol. I cant stop looking at it whenever I get out of it, or just go visit it in the garage haha.

Not to mention all of the cool technology (my last car was a 98 camaro) so this one is a big leap!

aquablueL99 04-28-2012 09:11 AM

Vroom & Dweeler,
I like the way both of you think...Thinking with your billfold in hand and not only your desires! Both cars will do just fine for you guys. Put your thoughts and efforts into the cars and make them your "own". Little touches mean so much to not only you, but the ones drooling over them....:w00t:
Enjoy them and keep us posted....ABL99.....:chevy:

dweeler 04-28-2012 01:14 PM

Vroom,

I love that color too! I live in the Seattle area and there are one or two Red Jewel tintcoat camaros running around. I have yet to see a crystal red one though. My car should be in next week, it shipped early last week, so when it does come in, it will be a rare color around here for a while at least. There are mostly black and yellow ones in this area with a few synergy green, imperial blue, silver, and victory red ones mixed in, but NO CRTs!

Aside from your mods, I think the only differece between yours and mine is the interior color, I went with black.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll love mine as much as you do yours! I makes it even better that my wife is excited about the car too!

P.S. Thanks for the thoughts aquablueL99!