Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Looking to install new axle back exhaust? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526428)

Blueovalman 04-18-2018 02:38 AM

Looking to install new axle back exhaust?

I am looking to install a new axle back exhaust to replace the stock tin can exhaust on a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 3.6L V6 and I am looking at the SLP Loudmouth 1 axle back exhaust for the V6. I am not looking to spend a small fortune on just a axle back exhaust and wanted to know what axle back exhausts that people here would recommend? Opinions? I know exhaust is very subjective as a lot of people like different sounding exhausts on their Camaro.What reputable vendors do you recommend?

rtcat600man 04-18-2018 09:19 AM

MRT..........best selling axle back for our Camaro.

Even better if you can by them used, save some money.

Marklar 04-18-2018 10:30 AM

I have MRT v2 and I like it but at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference. There's tons of example videos online comparing stock versus aftermarket. Compare and contrast your different options and decide for yourself. I agree with rtcatman though, look up used. Both Loudmouth and MRT are popular enough that you can find used ones pretty reliably.

DSX_Camaro 04-18-2018 11:09 AM

I mean, there's always the Magnaflow 11386 x muffler in place of your stock H pipe + muffler delete option. Really you'd want that Magnaflow x muffler if you swap to most axle back exhausts for drone - that's like half personal preference for in cabin noise, and half making the exhaust actually have a deep tone instead of super high pitched. Recommend using the forum search in the LFX and LLT forums and searching exhaust / using youtube for Camaro V6 exhausts. There's a lot of options.

Deputy347k9 04-18-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro (Post 10153157)
I mean, there's always the Magnaflow 11386 x muffler in place of your stock H pipe + muffler delete option. Really you'd want that Magnaflow x muffler if you swap to most axle back exhausts for drone - that's like half personal preference for in cabin noise, and half making the exhaust actually have a deep tone instead of super high pitched. Recommend using the forum search in the LFX and LLT forums and searching exhaust / using youtube for Camaro V6 exhausts. There's a lot of options.

I have also spent mega time researching exhaust for the LFX engines. I couldn't agree more regarding the Magnaflow resonated X pipe #11386. I believe the average cost for that is $107.19 from Summit, free shipping.

I am looking at installing the Borla ATAK axle back system #11851 which goes for about $700.00.

As we know the LFX exhaust system is 2 1/4" while the V8 is 2 1/2". For this I will no doubt have new 2 1/2" stainless pipes bent so to connect the Magnaflow X pipe with the Borla ATAK axle back. I don't want to use a bunch of couplers, more chance of a leak.

A young lady recently posted a video with sound of this exact system, really changed the sound..... no more sewing machine!

Your going to get what you pay for and as we know exhaust systems can be costly.

I just spent $1,500 for a set of Tri-Ys for my Impala SS but it was worth it.

Tech@Flowmaster 04-18-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueovalman (Post 10152741)
I am looking to install a new axle back exhaust to replace the stock tin can exhaust on a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 3.6L V6 and I am looking at the SLP Loudmouth 1 axle back exhaust for the V6. I am not looking to spend a small fortune on just a axle back exhaust and wanted to know what axle back exhausts that people here would recommend? Opinions? I know exhaust is very subjective as a lot of people like different sounding exhausts on their Camaro.What reputable vendors do you recommend?

Here is a short video of our Axle-back System 817743.

This system is 409S stainless steel with mandrel bent piping, covered by a lifetime, limited warranty and manufactured right here in the USA. We're here to answer all of our future customers questions and strive to provide excellent technical support to our customers after the sale. Our Support Team can be reached at 707-544-4761 if you have any unanswered exhaust questions or need additional information on any of our exhaust products.

- Jason @ Flowmaster

rtcat600man 04-18-2018 06:22 PM

All depends on what you are wanting it to sound like.

There are many clips of great sounding systems.

I ended up with the Magnaflow X pipe since I added headers.

Here are my best two sound clips that I love to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i-P68snGuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXmwhqp4S0A

danieldmb 04-19-2018 10:15 PM

As you mentioned, exhaust is a very subjective preference. For what it’s worth however, I have a 2011 v6 and I get compliments on my MRT v2 axel backs. The rest of the engine is stock (for now) so all that is heard is that sweet exhaust note. I have looked into the Borla Atak system, and if I had the cash when I made my purchase, I certainly would have been tempted.

Watch some YouTube videos to get a general idea, but if you have the chance to hear it in person, you might be sold on the MRT

Best of luck on your hunt!

Blueovalman 04-19-2018 10:50 PM

Ok from the axle back exhaust I choose I would like a deep throaty V8 muscle car sounds from my V6 Camaro if that is possible. I like the straight through designed axle back exhaust. If I had a V8 Camaro SS I would definitely get chambered design like the Flowmaster axle back exhaust. What axle back exhaust do you all subjest I go with? Ideas? How does the MRT and SLP axle back exhaust sound on our V6 Camaro’s?

Marklar 04-20-2018 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueovalman (Post 10155569)
Ok from the axle back exhaust I choose I would like a deep throaty V8 muscle car sounds from my V6 Camaro if that is possible.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but that will never happen. You have a V6.

That said, that doesn't mean you can't get a great sound (deeper, louder, more aggressive) but you'll never sound like a v8 to anybody that knows what they're listening for. The closest I've heard was with catless downpipes, MRTv1 axle-back, ghost cam, and 3" pipes. 3" pipes really deepens the tone, but it costs power. I don't know how to describe why but it has something to do with changing the pressure balance. Unfortunately It was really raspy on start up, but it was deep and had the low burble on idle similar to what you hear on straight piped V8s.

Juiced1 04-20-2018 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueovalman (Post 10155569)
Ok from the axle back exhaust I choose I would like a deep throaty V8 muscle car sounds from my V6 Camaro if that is possible. I like the straight through designed axle back exhaust. If I had a V8 Camaro SS I would definitely get chambered design like the Flowmaster axle back exhaust. What axle back exhaust do you all subjest I go with? Ideas? How does the MRT and SLP axle back exhaust sound on our V6 Camaro’s?

Don't expect V8 sound out of a V6. It's like trying to make lemonade with apples. We have plenty of systems that will sound great on the V6. So far the MRT V2 has been our biggest seller by far and we always have discounts for board members. The SLP Powerflo has been pretty solid and is a good lower cost alternative. If it were my car I'd run the Solo catback. It has the smoothest tone I've heard on a V6 Camaro and zero drone.

Another fun way to add some sound would be a set of high flow cats. They even add some nice power to boot.

We usually recommend picking out your axleback first and if you need more volume down the road grab an X-pipe to replace the factory resonators and H-Pipe.

Still not loud enough? Go with the high flow cats.

DSX_Camaro 04-20-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marklar (Post 10155808)
I'm sorry to break it to you, but that will never happen. You have a V6.

That said, that doesn't mean you can't get a great sound (deeper, louder, more aggressive) but you'll never sound like a v8 to anybody that knows what they're listening for. The closest I've heard was with catless downpipes, MRTv1 axle-back, ghost cam, and 3" pipes. 3" pipes really deepens the tone, but it costs power. I don't know how to describe why but it has something to do with changing the pressure balance. Unfortunately It was really raspy on start up, but it was deep and had the low burble on idle similar to what you hear on straight piped V8s.

3" just sounds the best period on any car, but if you don't have boost or huge horsepower you just won't get any benefit (SS) / will lose power (us).

The key to any exhaust sounding good is the Magnaflow 11386 x muffler being added in place of the stock H pipe (and probably deleting the stock resonators so it isn't "too smooth"). Any axle back will give different sound characteristics (metallic / raspy, smooth, etc) but have relatively similar tones as it's still the same 3.6L V6. If you hear other V6 Camaros or similar competition (Mustang 3.7, Nissan / Infiniti 3.7, Genesis 3.8, Fusion 2.7) swapping the mufflers will make it sound better but the 11386 in any application is just fantastic for what it is, and that's kinda proven when you can run it and no mufflers and it sounds great, or you can add it to any axle back and make it sound better. It's the best investment for exhaust considering the price.

Add high flow cats or catless downpipes for volume if you aren't subject to emissions checks (and again, want smoother, Solo cats because they have resonators, want harsher or pure volume, ARH high flow cats or catless downpipes).

Blueovalman 04-20-2018 09:33 PM

I do agree to get more of the sound I want I will have to get high flow catted downpipes or catless downpipes. I like most loud straight through designed exhausts so I purchased the SLP Loudmouth 1 axle back exhaust. I heard the SLP Loudmouth 1 axle back exhaust on a 2010 V6 Camaro in person at a car show and I really liked the way it sounded. I ended up finding the SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust from the vendor I wanted to give my business to just payed a little more for it. I may possibly consider doing more with my exhaust in the near future. Thanks everyone for their input.

Poconocamaro 04-21-2018 03:20 AM

I put a Gibson axle back on today and I love it!