Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   GulfCoast Driveshaft Loses It (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624355)

FasNuf 03-19-2024 08:42 PM

GulfCoast Driveshaft Loses It

Yep, If you're considering buying one you want to see this short 2 minute video of my issue today.

https://youtu.be/aYLrN2kBnWI?si=H84Hg9ng-JM2CiJC

tartagliazl1 03-20-2024 05:10 AM

was this the first ride out from winter storage?

0stones0 03-20-2024 05:18 AM

Imho, this is on their end, plain and simple.

FasNuf 03-20-2024 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 (Post 11412822)
was this the first ride out from winter storage?

No, I've had it out 2 other times and I've driven this over 130mph at the drags on 100° days with no issue. My guess is their glue is junk and got weak over time even with normal temps and probably didn't prep the weights for gluing.

FasNuf 03-20-2024 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0stones0 (Post 11412823)
Imho, this is on their end, plain and simple.

Talked to Jordan just now over there and it's getting handled so far. Melissa wasn't in yet due to an appointment. He said they had a couple failures of the glue due to shaft flexing under load weakening the glue bond. They've gone to a different 3M glue that's got some flexing properties to solve the issue.

tartagliazl1 03-20-2024 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FasNuf (Post 11412840)
Talked to Jeff just now over there and it's getting handled so far. Melissa wasn't in yet due to an appointment. He said they had a couple failures of the glue due to shaft flexing under load weakening the glue bond. They've gone to a different 3M glue that's got some flexing properties to solve the issue.

So are they sending you a new shaft or do you have to send yours back first. That would annoy me.

dreksnot 03-20-2024 11:40 AM

I've not had this happen with my DSS CF but I know of others who have. Having to send it back in kinda sucks to have it rebalanced, with all the uninstall and reinstall involved. I feel for you!

FasNuf 03-20-2024 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 (Post 11412893)
So are they sending you a new shaft or do you have to send yours back first. That would annoy me.

No, it sounds like I'll have to send it in for rebalance. The shaft was balanced well before so I kinda rather have them just fix it. My concern is damage from the flying weights. I'll be doing an inspection once it's pulled for dings in the CF. If there are any, I'll have a talk with them for a full replacement.

FasNuf 03-20-2024 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreksnot (Post 11412896)
I've not had this happen with my DSS CF but I know of others who have. Having to send it back in kinda sucks to have it rebalanced, with all the uninstall and reinstall involved. I feel for you!

Is your DSS glued too? I thought others riveted to the CF.
The labor definately is the sucky part and now dealing with the hardware issue I had all over again.

1JEWLDSSRS 03-20-2024 03:04 PM

Wow Mark, that just totally bites the big one!! I hope it didn't damage the shaft in any way! Man that just sucks. What ever happened to quality in workmanship??

dreksnot 03-20-2024 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FasNuf (Post 11412900)
Is your DSS glued too? I thought others riveted to the CF.
The labor definately is the sucky part and now dealing with the hardware issue I had all over again.

Glued on the DSS CF shaft with that same looking epoxy. It's been awhile since I had an aluminum shaft and I thought those were tack/spot welded, but the recent pictures I've seen they have some kind of fastener (screw/rivet).

FasNuf 03-20-2024 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS (Post 11412937)
Wow Mark, that just totally bites the big one!! I hope it didn't damage the shaft in any way! Man that just sucks. What ever happened to quality in workmanship??

Well I talked to the owner and he did say they changed to a different 3M glue and temperature controlled storage of the glue as well as different preps on the shaft and weights since a previous shaft lost theirs before me.
Looks like they’re taking care of me. Sent a label to ship back and said they’ll inspect for damage.
Now the fun part, disassembly.

Joe.G 03-20-2024 05:07 PM

That sucks, I have had my aluminum one in and out 4 or 5 times because of vibration issues, GC did send me a new shaft but I have not installed it yet. I would say if there are any nicks they owe you a new shaft.

FasNuf 03-20-2024 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreksnot (Post 11412946)
Glued on the DSS CF shaft with that same looking epoxy. It's been awhile since I had an aluminum shaft and I thought those were tack/spot welded, but the recent pictures I've seen they have some kind of fastener (screw/rivet).

I like aluminum but wanted the safety of CF. I'm weird but I like the reverb ping from the headers off the aluminum.:thumbup: