Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   HID projector retrofit into a non-RS halogen housing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120440)

caverman 12-25-2010 10:56 AM

By the end of next week I should have some pics and maybe some video. The car is on the lift without any brakes at the moment.

Stay tuned.....

SNV 12-25-2010 01:27 PM

Looks great. I still want to go with projectors. Still up in the air in what direction I want to take. I was hoping to also see more info on the Flashtech projectors. Getting install info out of them seems to be like pulling teeth haha.

caverman 12-25-2010 11:08 PM

7 Attachment(s)
I'll still get some more pics when I can pull it out about 25' from a wall to show the cut-off line but here are some picks I took tonight just to get a basic idea on how mine came out.

Remember the car is on a lift and is probably not sitting level which is why the line is not a straight. Plus I just found some butcher paper my kids use to draw on and taped it up to get something to reflect the light off of. Again...not level at all.

caverman 12-25-2010 11:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SNV (Post 2668542)
Looks great. I still want to go with projectors. Still up in the air in what direction I want to take. I was hoping to also see more info on the Flashtech projectors. Getting install info out of them seems to be like pulling teeth haha.

Projectors are the way to go. Even with the way it's unlevel you can still see the nice cut-off line of the Morimoto. I think it's going be a better line and throw than the OEM can do. Should be at least as good.

I tried to squeeze a little info out of Flashtech about the projectors they were using but got no response either. I didn't like the shrouds they used though. Made it look kinda of cheap. I definately didn't like the looks of their Halo ring either. Too much space in between the LEDs. I attached a close up of the one they posted. Compare the looks of the overall housing with the ones TRS did. TRS did a much better job IMO.

I would say don't waste your time and call TRS. Their website is in my first post. The customer service is fantastic. They answer their phone when you call and also answer their email. They have great prices on quality parts. Do a search on YouTube and Google for TheRetrofitSource and Mormimoto.

TRS will do basic retrofits like I did but they really aren't setup to do a bunch of retrofits. I'm sure if you wanted to go with a black background and a halo ring they could do that as well. Much more than that (which you probably wouldn't do) and you'll probably have to go to a custom retrofit person which is much more expensive. If for some reason those guys don't work out PM me and I'll get you a contact of someone else to talk to.

These are from FlashTech:

SNV 12-26-2010 12:10 AM

I'm not really worried about the halos. If I had a choice I would go with projectors and no halos. In a strange way I do like the little halo flashtech has on the projectors. The big outer halo I wouldn't do. I run h13 hids now. I was able to lower the beam and get a lot better cut off. I don't get anybody flashing hi beams at me lol. With dropping the beam I am also able to keep my hid fogs one without blinding people :).
I have read a lot of info in the past on TRS. I found info on them when I was looking at projector fogs (still didn't find what I want :( ). Buying a set of headlight housings kind of pushes my towards eagle eyes for the price. I already have hid setup. I would just have to swap bulbs. I'm going to have to start comparing setups and prices. A place a do computer work for just gave me a $500 gift for getting all their info off 2 dead hard drives. So trying to figure out what I want to spend it on haha. Thanks for all the info.

caverman 12-26-2010 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
BTW: TRS sells the little halos like what you see in the Flashtech lights. I think they were like $25 for the pair. If you wanted something like that then use the Appollo shroud and it has a perfect little indention for them.

Also, not sure if you've seen this (and again I'm not bashing Eagle Eyes) but IMO the cut-off and throw doesn't compare to the Morimoto projectors.

Eagle Eyes are a decent option if you don't want to deal with the retrofit and you are looking for the RS look....but for a little more effort and money I think you'll get better performance out of the Morimoto.

I would tell you to call TRS and just talk with them about some options. Since you already have your HID kit you could probably get a set of lights, have them do the retrofit, add the little halos and you would probably have just about the same money in it as the Eagle Eyes would cost.

The good thing is you have options. Keep researching and I'm sure you'll pick the right ones for you.

Here is the cut-off that someone posted of the Eagle Eye.

caverman 12-26-2010 10:12 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics that TurboGuy did using the smaller halo and painting the reflector/shroud flat black. These are the Apollo shrouds. If you want the bigger halos then get the ones from AAC and add them while the housing is open. I'm not sure if TRS sells the big halos or not.

SNV 12-26-2010 06:39 PM

I do understand that projectors will vary on cutoff. Some halos I like but as I said it's not a selling point for me. I could live with them or without them. After reading some of the problems with products and support from the person selling them halos you talk about. I wouldn't buy from them. I'll limit my thoughts on it to myself. I really don't want to open the lights myself. I would rather buy them made or pay somebody to do it lol. I just don't have the time and place to be opening them up.

showstopper 12-26-2010 06:50 PM

Looks good. Nice install. Looks factory

caverman 12-26-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNV (Post 2670903)
I do understand that projectors will vary on cutoff. Some halos I like but as I said it's not a selling point for me. I could live with them or without them. After reading some of the problems with products and support from the person selling them halos you talk about. I wouldn't buy from them. I'll limit my thoughts on it to myself. I really don't want to open the lights myself. I would rather buy them made or pay somebody to do it lol. I just don't have the time and place to be opening them up.

Agreed....I didn't want to open my lights either which is why I had TRS do mine.

I spent $315 on parts, labor, and shipping. I spent about $150 on a set of OEM lights....which I could technically offset that by selling my OEM lights. For now I'm going to keep my OEM lights though.

I already have an HID setup as well so I was able to resuse some things and save a little money.

SNV 12-27-2010 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 2671338)
Agreed....I didn't want to open my lights either which is why I had TRS do mine.

I spent $315 on parts, labor, and shipping. I spent about $150 on a set of OEM lights....which I could technically offset that by selling my OEM lights. For now I'm going to keep my OEM lights though.

I already have an HID setup as well so I was able to resuse some things and save a little money.

$315 isn't bad at all. No Halos correct? I'm sure you can get the $150 back if you sell them. What size HID bulb did you go with? Thanks for all the pics and info.
I'll give Flashtech a few days to get back to me. If they don't it will help me make up my mind about theirs lol.
Now we have to get you some hids in them fogs haha.

caverman 12-27-2010 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNV (Post 2671768)
$315 isn't bad at all. No Halos correct? I'm sure you can get the $150 back if you sell them. What size HID bulb did you go with? Thanks for all the pics and info.
I'll give Flashtech a few days to get back to me. If they don't it will help me make up my mind about theirs lol.
Now we have to get you some hids in them fogs haha.

That price is with no Halos. Even if you wanted the small Halos they were only $25 from TRS.

Good question about the bulbs. I'm actually not sure which ones they are. I just ordered the Morimoto projectors with 5000k lights. I'm sure they are single element bulbs because you can hear the shield go up an down for the high beams. I'll have to ask Nate that question. Even if you have to order new bulbs they are only $35 (which was included in my price).

For the fogs....mine are 6000k HID bulbs. They even have a mini ballast I had to wire in. If you look closely at one of the pics that I posted with them on you can barely see the fog is slightly more blue than the headlight. I even have Fieldgoal00's harness to make them auto come on with the headlights. I'm going to have to see how they look. On the lift they seem to be close enough in color I'll probably leave them but if I get it on the road and I can really see the differnce those fogs might be coming off and being switched out with different ones.

SNV 12-27-2010 10:36 AM

Nice. I run hid fogs. Have the ballasts and all. I'm running a 25wat setup for the fogs. Yeah it's rough matching up the color 100%. If you get bulbs from 2 different people the odds are the color will be off.

clg_98ta 12-28-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 2646405)

Here is the finished Housing and what I used:
-Morimoto Mini H1 projector
-GTI-R shrouds
-Morimoto 5000k bulbs

Thanks for all the info. I'm trying to navigate around the retrofitsource site to see what all is needed. As I understand it, in addition to whats listed above, you also needed a relay harness and ballasts, right? Anything else (other than the light housings)?

Which ballasts and relay harness did you select?

Too many options means too many decisions... :iono:
Someone should sell these as a kit, with detailed installation instructions (for people like me)

btw, where did you mount the ballasts?