Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   DIY Change LEDs in Speed/Tach Gauge (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162226)

anglwngss 12-12-2011 12:30 PM

Don't forget to post pics when you guys are done :)

2 2 12-12-2011 02:12 PM

I can't say I would try to mess with my warning light, light bulbs.

anglwngss 12-12-2011 02:13 PM

They are all just LEDs. I, personally didn't want to change their colors or anything, but it could be done with a simple LED swap.

2 2 12-12-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anglwngss (Post 4153725)
They are all just LEDs. I, personally didn't want to change their colors or anything, but it could be done with a simple LED swap.

Aren't you a little worried that maybe your work might fail? I mean not saying this isn't a sweet thread and I want to try it. I just want to know if a warning light comes on. I know they are supposed to last 100k hours but I would rather not take the chances. As long as I can pull the one for my seatbelt I think I will be happy and thanks for this thread so now I can figure it out.

anglwngss 12-12-2011 02:41 PM

I can't worry about everything, plus, like I mentioned, I actually did NOT change any of the warning lights. I only changed the Ice blue LEDs; the halo ring that comes on when you turn your ignition switch on, and the ones that light up the numbers on the speed and tach gauges and the ones that light up the cold/hot and empty/full gauges. That's all.

Mach 12-12-2011 06:41 PM

Is it possible to change the color of the blinker indicators?? Or do they have a green tint in the arrow?

creektrack 12-14-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach (Post 4155167)
Is it possible to change the color of the blinker indicators?? Or do they have a green tint in the arrow?

They are green leds...all of the indicator lights are just leds of that color, no tinting...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Mach 12-15-2011 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creektrack (Post 4166027)
They are green leds...all of the indicator lights are just leds of that color, no tinting...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

This is good news!!! MUUAAHHAHAHAHA!!!

wadew2lt 12-18-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anglwngss (Post 3801111)
As far as I know, no one has. I will be doing this sometime this year, but it'll probably be a few months. I know you have to take the entire dash apart just to get to the HUD unit. I've got the HUD and the radio still to go. My husband is fixing to purchase a new radio for his Camaro, so I get to play with his radio :)

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

anglwngss 12-18-2011 09:51 PM

DIY LEDs in the radio: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180009

DIY LEDs in the HUD: hahahaha!! not yet, I wish :) Haven't gotten anywhere near that project yet.

meissen 12-27-2011 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tried to do it today but I goofed and burned two of the LEDs. Should've ordered extras, but didn't tihnk about it. :yikes: Gotta wait for the extras to show up before I can finish the job. I'm waiting until the extras come in to do the white letters, so all I accomplished was 6 of the 8 ring/halo LEDs. While it's a relatively easy job to do, I'd definitely recommend having a good soldering iron. Mine is old and has a crappy tip on it - a new tip would make the job a LOT easier.

Here's a pic of what mine looks like right now. :sm0:
Attachment 319197

anglwngss 12-27-2011 02:05 PM

That's actually kind of intersting! I know you're not done and all, but it looks kind of neat having the two colors, though red & white would've been more ideal! lol

Really, though, it'll look great once you've gotten it finished!

meissen 12-27-2011 05:08 PM

Thanks! You've definitely inspired me to dive in and give it a try. When I realized how easy it was to get the cluster out, I had to try it. And when I goofed up, I told myself it was too easy to stop, put it back together, and wait until the extra LEDs come in so I'm not doing it while I'm frustrated. :D With only 4 real bolts, I haven't owned any cars that were easier to remove the cluster.

anglwngss 12-27-2011 05:16 PM

Aw. Thanks. I'm glad I was the inspiration for something, lol.. Now, I do cheat, though and someone else changes the actual LEDs for me, but I did the rest. Really, though, I have no talent for this kind of stuff, so I figure if I can do it.. anyone else can too!