Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Coolant Leak on Passenger Side 2011 LT V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478549)

Shade 12-28-2016 08:14 PM

Coolant Leak on Passenger Side 2011 LT V6

2 Attachment(s)
I did a search and could not locate anyone who has had a similar issue like I am currently having. I have recently moved into my 1st house and now have a garage to keep my car in finally. It's a 2011 V6 LT manual transmission Camaro. It's been in the garage for about 2 months now. For the 1st month I didn't have any leaks or fluids on my floor. I decided a couple weeks back during my last oil change to top off all of my fluids. I haven't been super diligent in keeping on eye on my coolant levels. I haven't had any over heating issues. I found that my overflow tank was bone dry. So I top it off with fluid and checked it a couple days later. I found it was lower than what I filled it at last time (Cold engine level). I filled it again, the next day I noticed fluid on the ground. The weird part is it started where my transmission housing is. Tonight I jacked up the car and cranked it up to get her hot. When I got up to temperature it started dripping. But it's in a super tough location and I cant get my eyes on what is exactly leaking. I took a picture of the location. It appears to be where the heater core lines connect to the back of the engine block. I guess its weird that this didn't seem to start until I topped off the tank.

I took a couple photos pointing out the location. It doesn't constantly drip, only when the engine is hot and throttled up. Would anyone have any idea what is leaking? I dont even know how to get back there without having to dismantling a lot of stuff.

tlavoie87 12-28-2016 09:04 PM

thermostat housing gasket, easy fix.. thats where the line go that you cant see with the right tools its not a hard job at all

Shade 12-28-2016 09:48 PM

Wow, I didn't even think the T-stat would be located on the back of the engine. I googled it and found another post on this forum showing it's location. All my previous cars had it right by the water pump up front. Thanks! :D

Here is the link in case someone in the future has the same problem.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343955

1realmccoy 01-30-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 9476348)
Wow, I didn't even think the T-stat would be located on the back of the engine. I googled it and found another post on this forum showing it's location. All my previous cars had it right by the water pump up front. Thanks! :D

Here is the link in case someone in the future has the same problem.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343955

hi
I'm having the same problem, what did you end up changing out the whole thermostat or just the gasket from the thermostat to the hearter inlet/outlet pipe ? thanks

dustin0284 01-30-2017 06:33 PM

This is the 3rd Camaro V6 i've seen in 5 minutes on this forum with a coolant leak. Fortunately they all seem to be the same thing, an easy fix.

1realmccoy 01-30-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustin0284 (Post 9533165)
This is the 3rd Camaro V6 i've seen in 5 minutes on this forum with a coolant leak. Fortunately they all seem to be the same thing, an easy fix.

Have you done this fix before ? Debating if I should have my mechanic do it

gahammerle 03-24-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustin0284 (Post 9533165)

Is there a write up somewhere on this fix? Mine is leaking coolant from that area, so I'm guessing it is this.

tlavoie87 03-25-2017 08:51 PM

if your handy its definitely a DIY .. can get a little tight but can be done.. if any ones needs some advice let me know ive done my thermostat a couple times ( long story)

Dizzy82 03-29-2017 01:50 PM

My car is suffering similar symptoms with dried coolant around the passenger side shorties. My dealership states it's a head gasket leak, now I'm not sure what is correct.

tlavoie87 03-29-2017 02:10 PM

Dizzy start with the thermostat gasket parts are very inexpensive and to do yourself would only be a couple hours

fhrex 03-30-2017 05:51 AM

We had a 2010 LS at the shop with a coolant leak extremely similar to this; turned out to be heater hoses leaking at couplings.

Dizzy82 03-30-2017 04:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tried to get some photos, the engine bay is surprisingly hard to get a camera properly positioned in. Does this look like where the thermostat gasket leaks.

W4rMach1ne 04-01-2017 05:06 PM

This is what happened to my old camaro 2011 v6. The dealer said the samething after replacing the heater cooler, thermostat housing and it was still leaking. I traded it in, but miss it at times. I love my truck though :P

Mongo RS 10-01-2017 05:26 PM

This has just started leaking on my '10 RS. I'm not too thrilled to have to be doing repairs like this on a 7 year old car with only 110,000 miles.

I have an 83 Chevy van with a 305 (150,000 miles) that I have driven across the country with no issues, and I only had to pay $600 for it and put in a $100 radiator.

You sure can tell the LLT was designed to be used in a FWD application, only logical reason to put a maintenance part at the rear of the engine.