Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Performance vs Presence (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291055)

Dox057 04-23-2013 11:32 AM

Performance vs Presence

Was having a debate with my wife last night and thought I would bring it to you lot.

I have a laundry list of mods I still want to do on the car. Some cosmetic (rockers, splitter etc) and some performance based (CAI, exhaust etc). Now, I am trying to do them simultaniously, a little here and a little there, but my wife asked, "If you don't intend to race, why wouldn't you do the cosmetic stuff first and make the car look the way you want before worrying about performance mods? People SEE those, no one will know about the performance mods except you?" I replied with, "The car speaks for itself visually, I am looking forward to the little extra performance, better sound in my exhaust note etc."

We went back and forth with this for a while. I still intend to do them both in tandum, but I am curious about you guys. Did or do you place more emphasis on aesthetics or performance? Hypothetically, would you prefer to have a BEAST running 9's that looked like crap (Not that any camaro could look like crap, this is hypothetical) or a showpiece that barely edges out a prius? (Again hyperbole used for effect lol)..

ka1 04-23-2013 11:35 AM

Focusing more on looks until my warranty expires. Still I've added bolt-ons that do not void the warranty but add power and make the car more fun to drive. (CAI, muffler delete.)

Trentin24 04-23-2013 11:37 AM

I'd change exhaust, then focus on cosmetics.

csjcsj 04-23-2013 11:40 AM

What he said! But if not worried about the warranty beef that sucker up! I get lots of people coming up to it while its sitting there idling or when riding through parking lots people hear me coming and stop and stare (listen)!

Supercamaro64 04-23-2013 11:41 AM

Definitely appearance mods first. Performance mods are all well and fine, but i prefer to make my cars look bad@$$ before i touch the mechanics.

DRKS1D3 04-23-2013 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Performance first. Anything can be made to LOOK fast. For example :facepalm::

PalmerGA 04-23-2013 11:41 AM

Non sequitur. If you're doing both type mods "simultaneously" or "in tandem" you don't have to choose which to do first. They will be done at the same time.
:noidea:

Team STILLEN 04-23-2013 11:43 AM

It really is up to you on what you want done first!

I have customers who started with our Splitter and Side Skirts and then moved on to performance. My recent customer had his SS for 2 years, bone stock and he came in and had us install a Magnuson Supercharger. Go figure!

PM or Call me with any questions.

Thanks

JT

Dox057 04-23-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmerGA (Post 6458588)
Non sequitur. If you're doing both type mods "simultaneously" or "in tandem" you don't have to choose which to do first. They will be done at the same time.
:noidea:

I, personally, AM doing them in tandam. I did my gills and tint this past weekend and I'm doing my CAI this coming weekend. I was jsut curious about putting it to the community and seeing what they intially did or do place more emphasis on.

dorfmac 04-23-2013 11:46 AM

I've gone with the cosmetics first and once the warranty goes ill look into the other stuff. My mentality is, since I have a v6, if I really wanted performance mods I would have put that $$ towards the v8 in the first place

Yendor 04-23-2013 11:53 AM

I'm with the exhaust crowd, it doesn't sound like a 6.2L V8, it should. I have about 700 miles on my car and I just received my exhaust last night. We'll see what comes next, probably intake then maybe a subwoofer box. The car looks good to me, but I do have a set of IVS Havoc wheels to put on too, hold overs from my G8.

JDP Sales 04-23-2013 11:57 AM

I go for performance mods first, even if it is just the exhaust. Your Camaro deserves to sound like a muscle car! Cosmetic mods are fine if tasteful, but there are a few out there that are a little over the top.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

sasquash1984 04-23-2013 11:59 AM

Wheels and exhaust first

Fiveg56 04-23-2013 12:08 PM

speak softly, and carry a big stick