Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Interesting comment by Al O. about CCBs (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493557)

JUSTIFIED 05-02-2017 07:36 PM

Interesting comment by Al O. about CCBs

Interesting vid of Al O. being interviewed about the ZL1 1LE. At the 10:30 mark he gives his 2 reasons for CCBs and why they aren't on that car. Guess we were all duped! ;-)

Seems they are betting on this car as there track beast. Plus, the Camaro GT 4 uses the ZL1 as it's platform. The 5th gen race version was based on the Z/28 platform (as we all know...).

Time will tell!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTlv-fIIn64

rcandiloro 05-02-2017 08:08 PM

:)I tell you what.....not dealing with brake dust makes Carbon Ceramics worth the price of admission! Plus the coolness factor is off the charts. :)

KaBoom1701 05-02-2017 08:12 PM

I like the CCB but I think the large cost investment vs. what little you gain over the 6th Gen's steel rotors is just not worth it.

markstoys 05-02-2017 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 (Post 9705769)
I like the CCB but I think the large cost investment vs. what little you gain over the 6th Gen's steel rotors is just not worth it.

I would love to have one follow me down the backside of GMR, and see how good they really are. If they can do 5 miles of 6% grade at a decent pace, then they are good.

MarkSS 05-02-2017 10:08 PM

That is kind of a kick in the teeth... they weren't necessary, it was just marketing??? Even if it is true, I have never owned a car that stops (lap after lap) like the Z/28.

pat_t 05-03-2017 01:14 AM

Guys, read between the lines.

He isn't saying they weren't required on the Z/28 and helped to make the car what it is..

He isn't saying the CCBs aren't a better performing solution than the steel brakes..

He is saying "Chevy messed up on the Gen5 Z/28 project by putting too much bill of materials cost into the car, forcing them to sell it at $75,000, a price that customers weren't generally willing to pay for a Camaro. On the 6th Gen platform the GM bosses have made sure we make an awesome performing car without putting so much spec onto it that we can't sell it at discount and still make nice profit margins."

IMHO

Raven87 05-03-2017 07:11 AM

I watched it and agree with pat t's synopsis. Everyone - including Al O - knows the advantage that CCBs have when it comes to performance. There is no denying that proven fact.

But - that performance advantage comes at a severe cost, is only truly beneficial for those who do track their car, and he is simply saying that from the MARKETING perspective it would be a mistake to put them on the ZL1 1LE because of that cost. They will sell far more ZL1 1LEs without the CCBs than if in fact they were the standard issue as they were for the Z/28.

GM did learn that lesson indeed.

LateBrakeU2 05-03-2017 08:45 AM

You can really feel the pounding he took on the Z. Everyone wants the bad boy track car, till they drive one. Will be very interesting to see if the general let's them build a gen 6 with this one out now as it pretty much covers all the bases.

Zslash28 05-03-2017 09:48 AM

Our cars just got a little more special.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 05-03-2017 10:14 AM

Listening to that was painful, 2 thing i take a way from that, One there trying to keep the cost down on the new ZL1 1LE so the can sell them, IMO a CCBs was going to add more then 6k to the price of the car, and the powers that be said no way, ran one of the 6th gens at the track and warped all the routers and that car does not have the speed the new one does or the extra wight.

Two i have a hard time buying that this is the last model of the 6th gen, any one know the name GM is using of the new Z/28? LOL.

I know a guy that knows a guy that imports all the CCBs for brembo's for track use, looks like i will need to talk to him and see if i can find what will fit.

pat_t 05-03-2017 01:05 PM

The only thing about the new ZL1 1LE spec that interests me is the wheel and tyre package. I've been looking at aftermarket wheel options and there is really very little available that is lighter in 19“ x 11" without spending a lot of money, which shows what an awesome job Chevy did with the Z/28 wheel design!

If the ZL1 1LE rims are lighter and a suitable offset they'd be a good upgrade.

The Goodyear also interests me if it can hang on well on track...

The_Raging_Bull 05-03-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zslash28 (Post 9706581)
Our cars just got a little more special.

Exactly, the only 427 Camaros, other than the 69 ZL1's from 1969, and the only 427 track cars EVER made with CCB brakes...that's going to be an exclusive group in years to come; that's how collectibles come to be collectible.

I agree on the gist of what Al O said; as far as a poor business decision on Chevy's part. But.... from the end users perspective I got my Z/28 at nearly 35% off of MSRP, and got the penultimate track camaro for less than the cost of the the fancy '17 ZL1. While some of us paid the $76K; I can't help but feel like a slam dunk at $53K I paid.:rolleyes:

KaBoom1701 05-03-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markstoys (Post 9705925)
I would love to have one follow me down the backside of GMR, and see how good they really are. If they can do 5 miles of 6% grade at a decent pace, then they are good.

I hear ya.....

It should be an option imho....

But for marketing reason I see why they are not included.

frenchsquared 05-03-2017 02:46 PM

Optional would have been great.
Im still not sold on a super charged track car. I will keeping my Z28.