Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   vararam power wedge (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282009)

954camaro 03-10-2013 10:49 AM

vararam power wedge

Like stated above has any L99 seen any better performance from adding this upgrade on there car? Is it worth it?:emoticon12:

Camper 03-10-2013 10:50 AM

do a search buddy!

litle88 03-10-2013 01:18 PM

Lol

Nooo keep moving......

Dertyboi 03-10-2013 01:41 PM

I got one it made the low end a little stronger but I had headers cai and xpipe and a tune before I put it on. I heard the more mods you have the better the gains just added a ported throttle body and the there is no more flooring it for a dead stop or anything under 40 mph without spinning
grayvertshift:

dcoates18481 03-10-2013 01:47 PM

There are many opinions on this item....

in my case, i noticed better throttle response in the low end with the wedge, when i put a ported throttle body on it was significantly pronounced... most likely the throttle body.

You won't see big horsepower changes if any, torque will go up some. throttle response is where you will see the most difference.... at least in my case.

DuskSS 03-10-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 6268862)
Lol

Nooo keep moving......

Shawn at Lethal likes it on modified cars
Since there is no 13 version of the vanaram this combined with a ram and a cai inc unit makes a good combo

Lethal doesn't seem to use or reccomend things that don't give solid gains.
They have suggested it for my build at Lethal.
I'll give it a shot.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Mchlgrrsn 03-10-2013 02:20 PM

My god there was a raging debate about this exact subject less than a week ago. Lol

dcoates18481 03-10-2013 02:20 PM

Every little bit helps IMO

DuskSS 03-10-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 (Post 6269142)
I'll send you one for $20. That should cover the shipping. PM me if you want to trying it out. I sold my Camaro and will be putting a few other things up for sale.

I'll take it send me pp info

IndeedSS1 03-10-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonpope2003 (Post 6269229)
I'll take it send me pp info

Sorry two other people have already PM'd asking for it. Will notify the first one that made contact.

Edit: I deleted my other post because I didn't know so many people would be interested. Hopefully if the new owner doesn't like it they will pass it on cheaply so someone else can give it a try.

DuskSS 03-10-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 (Post 6269237)
Sorry two other people have already PM'd asking for it. Will notify the first one that made contact.

Haha no worries mine is already at lethal waiting for my car to arrive for surgery

Smirnoff 03-10-2013 04:31 PM

Son, do you really-really want to tell us exactly who recommended this POS?

DuskSS 03-10-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smirnoff (Post 6269407)
Son, do you really-really want to tell us exactly who recommended this POS?

I already did
Shawn @ Lethal Racing

They have seen up to 12hp on modded cars

Direct quote from an email to me.

To: 'Jason Pope' <jasonpope2003@
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 9:36 AM
Subject: RE: Vararam Wedge?

We have seen 8-12 HP with the wedge. They are 109.00 so even if it only picked up 8 then it is worth the extra money. Yes we will be close to 500. I know for sure we could do it with heads on the car, but without heads will be in the 490s for sure.

Shawn

litle88 03-10-2013 06:13 PM

Sorry but I don't buy it!

What works is LT's, Cold air intake like Vararam, Haltech, Rotofab, CAI in that order. Also the vmax TB's for better response and a good Ecm and TRANNY tune. Period. That's just bolt on stuff excluding cams n other stuff.

No tornados, POWER wedges or AirRaid spacers or granatelli MAFS or JET 50hp plug in modules DO NOTHING!

DuskSS 03-10-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 6269686)

What works is LT's, Cold air intake like Vararam, Haltech, Rotofab, CAI in that order. Also the vmax TB's for better response and a good Ecm and TRANNY tune. Period. That's just bolt on stuff excluding cams n other stuff.

No tornados, POWER wedges or AirRaid spacers or granatelli MAFS or JET 50hp plug in modules DO NOTHING!

Well believe what you want.
Shawn has no reason to lie as I'm already giving 6k for the rest of it.
There is no install cost and his margin on 100 dollar item is not worth a blemish to lethal's reputation.

He flat told me he would dyno it both ways as I was skeptical as well.

If it shows no gain I'm not paying for it all there is too it.
It's a 5 minute install so very easy to show both ways

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Mchlgrrsn 03-10-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 6269686)

Nice. Tell it like it is. :bellyroll:

IndeedSS1 03-10-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonpope2003 (Post 6269707)
Well believe what you want.
Shawn has no reason to lie as I'm already giving 6k for the rest of it.
There is no install cost and his margin on 100 dollar item is not worth a blemish to lethal's reputation.

He flat told me he would dyno it both ways as I was skeptical as well.

If it shows no gain I'm not paying for it all there is too it.
It's a 5 minute install so very easy to show both ways

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Don't worry, you are getting the same people that won't try stuff, but will give their so called expert advice. You are doing it with right way and testing to gain first hand knowledge. Doesn't matter whether good, bad, or indifferent at least when you speak about the power wedge you will being doing it with authority. I respect that and so do a lot of others.

IndeedSS1 03-10-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn (Post 6269824)
Nice. Tell it like it is. :bellyroll:

You are not very selective in whom you become a follower.

Mchlgrrsn 03-10-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 (Post 6269872)
You are not very selective in whom you become a follower.

Not sure what up talking about. I have been consistent that I think CAI are overrated and people often split hairs with this stuff. Not sure what you mean about following.

litle88 03-10-2013 07:18 PM

Oh please.......what a true liberal way of thinking there INDEED.

Any how I bet Vararam (although I am a fan of the intake) will be taking naive folks money when the corvette owners get a power wedge for this TB too hu? Talk about magic dust

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps5a5bdb9c.jpg

litle88 03-10-2013 07:27 PM

OMG look at the angle of that TB?

Quick lets make money off the week/Naive. Lol

DuskSS 03-10-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 6269918)
Oh please.......what a true liberal way of thinking.

Any how I bet Vararam (although I am a fan of the intake) will be taking naive folks money when the corvette owners get a power wedge for this TB too hu? Talk about magic dust

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps5a5bdb9c.jpg

How is testing it both ways being naive?

It it gives a increase then it obviously does something if it doesn't its garbage flat and simple
but Lethal whom has a sterling rep believe they work and have no connection to the company other than being a huge supporter of the original intake.

I'm betting he makes about 25 bucks at most on one.. that is not worth lieing to sell to ruin a rep.

DuskSS 03-10-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn (Post 6269905)
Not sure what up talking about. I have been consistent that I think CAI are overrated and people often split hairs with this stuff. Not sure what you mean about following.

Lol wut?!

Are you honestly going to sit there and say CAIs make no difference?

OK well now I know who I wont be listening to.

Smirnoff 03-10-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 6269943)
OMG look at the angle of that TB?

Quick lets make money off the week/Naive. Lol

They are called "sheeples".....LMAO! :director: :der:

Mchlgrrsn 03-10-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonpope2003 (Post 6269967)
Lol wut?!

Are you honestly going to sit there and say CAIs make no difference?

OK well now I know who I wont be listening to.

No I have a cold air intake, I think everyone should have one, along with long tube headers. Air in and air out. It's a process. But reading this forum I see people driving themselves nuts over what brand to get, I saw one thread where a guy was going to rip out on brand and install another one because he was convinced it was going to have better gains. I also don't think a power wedge is going to do anything. You can talk about the few hp it claims its gonna give you, but good luck feeling it and it's certainly not gonna make a difference on your times at the track. If you look up the past 10 posts I have made about CAI they all say the same thing, I take exception to the "following" comment. I have been and will always be consistent. I didn't mean to offend you.

litle88 03-10-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonpope2003 (Post 6269963)
How is testing it both ways being naive?

It it gives a increase then it obviously does something if it doesn't its garbage flat and simple
but Lethal whom has a sterling rep believe they work and have no connection to the company other than being a huge supporter of the original intake.

I'm betting he makes about 25 bucks at most on one.. that is not worth lieing to sell to ruin a rep.

That's fine, I've been next to the Dyno during testing of this gimmick and it showed nothing during back to back testing. Not gonna mention who cause they are a sponsor and so us vararam. You can pick up 10 hp on a cammed and heads car just by cooling it off lol.

Sorry bud but I just don't buy it that's all. Nothing against you or anything, what bothers me is that vararam threw this at is started selling it and they never came back to defend their product or get into details of how it's supposed to work they just left us bickering. Just saying.

DuskSS 03-10-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn (Post 6270027)
No I have a cold air intake, I think everyone should have one, along with long tube headers. Air in and air out. It's a process. But reading this forum I see people driving themselves nuts over what brand to get, I saw one thread where a guy was going to rip out on brand and install another one because he was convinced it was going to have better gains. I also don't think a power wedge is going to do anything. You can talk about the few hp it claims its gonna give you, but good luck feeling it and it's certainly not gonna make a difference on your times at the track. If you look up the past 10 posts I have made about CAI they all say the same thing, I take exception to the "following" comment. I have been and will always be consistent. I didn't mean to offend you.

OK that's cool your post made it sound like you thought cais in general were worthless.
Fair enough.

DuskSS 03-10-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 6270032)
That's fine, I've been next to the Dyno during testing of this gimmick and it showed nothing during back to back testing. Not gonna mention who cause they are a sponsor and so is vararam. You can pick up 10 hp on a cammed and heads car just by cooling it off lol.

Sorry bud but I just don't buy it that's all. Nothing against you or anything, what bothers me is that vararam threw this at is started selling it and they never came back to defend their product or get into details of how it's supposed to work they just left us bickering. Just saying.

Agreed on that well most of it.

10 from cooling between runs is a tad high maybe 5 or so.

And I totally agree if it was the manufacturer claiming I'd say pffft ya right but its someone I actually trust telling me different which is making me think 2x

litle88 03-10-2013 08:04 PM

I agree 5 lol

But hey if your guys say get it then go for it bud.

Mchlgrrsn 03-10-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonpope2003 (Post 6270038)
OK that's cool your post made it sound like you thought cais in general were worthless.
Fair enough.

All good. You should have CAI just don't obsess over the brand they all do the same thing. I'm not a fan of the power wedge .. Better ?

litle88 03-10-2013 08:07 PM

Better!! Haha

hapisok 03-10-2013 08:15 PM

why does it always come down to how much HP something makes? ported TB's show some gains...but the most important improvement is throttle response. why some people get so caught up in chasing numbers they forget there are other variables in the mix is beyond me.

i haven't done before and after testing with mine, but i suppose next time i hop on the dyno i will. and i'll do it in conjunction with a ported TB just for S&G's.

looking forward to your results OP.

axis 03-10-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hapisok (Post 6270117)
why does it always come down to how much HP something makes? ported TB's show some gains...but the most important improvement is throttle response. why some people get so caught up in chasing numbers they forget there are other variables in the mix is beyond me.

That's easy. Show me any tangible graph that can show the increase in throttle response of a wedge vs stock. Opinion and SOP is so subjective it's not even funny. We have guys stating their new exhaust free'd up 20+whp on their cars and will SWEAR to it, just because it feels 20whp faster. Do you believe them too? If you want to make claims on here, we need them to be backed up with some kind of proof. My throttle response feels faster just doesn't cut it.

VADER SS L99 03-10-2013 11:46 PM

A shop with a engine dyno in a controlled environment should test this. It would put this debate to rest. Same goes for the ported TB.

Falundir 03-10-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 (Post 6270921)
A shop with a engine dyno in a controlled environment should test this. It would put this debate to rest. Same goes for the ported TB.

It has been tested by a few different shops and all showed gains, however many people still don't want to believe the results.

axis 03-11-2013 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falundir (Post 6270948)
It has been tested by a few different shops and all showed gains, however many people still don't want to believe the results.

Not talking HP gains, but TR improvement. A dyno won't show that.

Smirnoff 03-11-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis (Post 6270831)
That's easy. Show me any tangible graph that can show the increase in throttle response of a wedge vs stock. Opinion and SOP is so subjective it's not even funny. We have guys stating their new exhaust free'd up 20+whp on their cars and will SWEAR to it, just because it feels 20whp faster. Do you believe them too? If you want to make claims on here, we need them to be backed up with some kind of proof. My throttle response feels faster just doesn't cut it.

Exactly....!!!

Placebo: "I spent some money on a POS & it must make more HP because I spent some money"......:dizzy:

With all the TB acceleration placebo delays - all sheeples should immediately take their car to the dealer for warranty service to repair for free. And for those on the cheap, maybe you can stealer beg for a $1.00 off coupon for an increase in HP oil change (begins with the letter Z), gee.....:frusty:

:emoticon1:

dcoates18481 03-11-2013 07:07 AM

It's amazing how much "press" this little piece of plastic gets....both good and bad.

Try it, if you don't like it sell it or return it...either way, there's no shortage of buyers for it.

hapisok 03-11-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis (Post 6270831)

the only way i know to test throttle response is at the track. unfortunately, im not going any time soon. and even then, i am too much of a variable to provide consistent results. ...so...that being said.

did i need a dyno to realize the gains made from adding LT's? NOPE
did i need a dyno to realize the gains from my CAI? NOPE
or how about when i added my 3.91 gears? NOPE (its quick as shyt)
ported TB to be added to this list soon...

...just sayin.

yes, a dyno or 1/4 mi is nice when looking for the actual gain made with the addition of each part. i agree that you really won't feel a HP increase of anything under 10 (especially on an LS3). i disagree when it comes to throttle response (what i see as a direct result of added TQ). you can feel the difference in throttle response, you can hear, and see it. the car responds quicker, you can hear the engine rev up quicker, and you can see the RPM's climb faster. thats all the proof i need. but you'll probably tell me that my uncalibrated but dyno is off :dizzy:

anyhow, whats it gonna hurt? vararam will return it if you don't like it anyway.

i'll keep enjoying my placebo effect...:bonk:

Firefighter 03-11-2013 08:13 AM

This thing seems too easy to add to not do if you are adding a ported TB. Looking at the pics the concept seems logical enough. $100 is almost nothing when you think that it costs almost $80 to fill a Camaro from empty. What can it hurt?

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....