Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Any tips for doing a seafoam treatment on my ZL1? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301764)

bumblebeecamaro 06-13-2013 07:09 PM

Any tips for doing a seafoam treatment on my ZL1?

I'm getting ready to install my oil catch can after pissing away almost 6 weeks of my life while waiting on a certain forum vendor to deliver an oil catch can that never delivered.

So now I have the fear of having oil ingestion in my intake track so I want to do a seafoam treatment to make sure any oil inside the intake track is cleaned up.

I watched some YouTube videos which some show pouring it in a major vacuum line while other treatments show people using the spray version which goes in to the throttle body.

So I will ask here. What's the best method for doing this treatment on my car?

SSOOCH 06-13-2013 07:43 PM

Your Camaro is way too new to need seafoam!

bumblebeecamaro 06-13-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSOOCH (Post 6667574)
Your Camaro is way too new to need seafoam!

Don't be too sure on that. I had a 2010 SS that I put a Maggie on at only 300 miles. The mount of oil ingestion inside the stock intake almost made me puke. I can only assume my ZL1 that already has 1300 miles is probably just as bad.

I want to be sure everything is nice and clean prior to installing an oil catch can.

tanur420 06-14-2013 10:22 PM

ive been wanting to seafoam my intakeas well but unsure of the best way.. 20000
miles of hard driving with no catch can

intensifi 06-15-2013 08:47 AM

Your catch can delivery experience sounds all too familiar.

Your valves probably are not too bad given you do not have direct injection engine and the fuel is cleaning them. (I know the SS is not DI, but is the ZL1 also?)

The intake manifold could already be quite dirty though.

I seem to remember someone saying not to use basic Seafoam with a super charger. I could be mistaken about that.

My dealer charged me $180.00 for a BG upper induction cleaning. Yes it's way more than a can of Seafoam (or BG 44K) but it gave me more "peace of mind". Given all the coin I have put into the car it was cheap insurance for a (hopefully) one time procedure before my catch can install.

bumblebeecamaro 06-15-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intensifi (Post 6673135)
Your catch can delivery experience sounds all too familiar.

Yup, it really makes me very angry every time I think about getting jacked around the way I did with RX. All this BS could have been avoided had I been told it would take a LONG TIME to get a catch can from them. Instead I'd get emails telling me it would ship on this day then it would ship on this day. What a freaking waste of my time.

This is why I have vowed to always express nothing but bad comments when RX is mentioned. I have no doubts they have awesome products. Unfortunately the clown that runs the company has very horrible business practices which is why there are plenty of people on this forum that are beginning to see his true colors.

bumblebeecamaro 06-15-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanur420 (Post 6672288)
ive been wanting to seafoam my intakeas well but unsure of the best way.. 20000
miles of hard driving with no catch can

My 2010 SS was a complete mess at only 300 miles. I can't imagine what yours looks like at 20K miles. Good luck....

Cornflakes'Camaro 06-15-2013 06:43 PM

I just did the seafoam treatment on my car at 32,XXX miles prior to a catch can install. I personally put half a can in the oil, drove around a day (this won't, or shouldn't cause smoke) then the following evening I put the rest of the can into my gas tank w/ about a 1/2 tank of gasoline. I continued to drive it for about an hour or so. Then went home, put another 1/2 of a can into my vacuum line while my buddy held the throttle at about 2,000 rpm. He gave the motor a few good revs, then I let the motor sit (off) for about 5 mins. I repeated the process again, let it sit for about 15 mins (off). After the 15 mins were up, I started the car again, let it idle some, gave it a few good revs (around 4,000 rpm), then held it at 2,000 rpm a few times. I then let it idle for another 15-20 mins. it smoked a pretty good bit after sitting, but it's normal and I could tell that the seafoam was burning off all the oil and carbon built up in the motor. The motor runs stronger for sure now. (or maybe it's just in my head....?) :sm0:

I know you have a ZL1 and I have an n/a SS, but that's how I did it, and I looked into my intake before and after, and it is a world of difference. (I also changed the oil after this seafoam treatment and installed a catch can)

tanur420 06-16-2013 10:04 PM

how did you get the seafoam in the intake? i heard of spraying it directly.through the tb or using a vacuum line

HP_atTheWheels 06-17-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanur420 (Post 6678343)
how did you get the seafoam in the intake? i heard of spraying it directly.through the tb or using a vacuum line

+1 this...got any pictures of the line you used? I got a RX can and oil breather. I have about 19xxx miles. I put a ported TB on about 6 months ago and I didn't notice any build up on the old one, but after reading about every post on catch cans I realized I should have got one a long time ago. So I'm going to do the Seafoam Treatment, I read your other post on it

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297189

but I still confused on the intake portion with the vacuum line. Thanks

Cornflakes'Camaro 06-17-2013 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tanur/HP-

Sorry it took a bit to get back to you guys. Here's a picture of the line I used to get the seafoam into the motor through the intake. I slowly poured the seafoam (almost trickled) into this hose while my buddy kept the motor revved at 2000 rpm.

Bumblebee-I'm not sure about your method of input into your motor w/ that supercharger. Hopefully someone will chime in that knows more about that motor.

Crime2 06-17-2013 04:55 PM

I would not do that with a supercharger. I think it will do more bad that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. If it is spelllled wrong, deal with it.

HP_atTheWheels 06-17-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro (Post 6681337)
Tanur/HP-

Sorry it took a bit to get back to you guys. Here's a picture of the line I used to get the seafoam into the motor through the intake. I slowly poured the seafoam (almost trickled) into this hose while my buddy kept the motor revved at 2000 rpm.

Bumblebee-I'm not sure about your method of input into your motor w/ that supercharger. Hopefully someone will chime in that knows more about that motor.

Sweet!! Thanks Cornflakes. :bow: Cant wait for some spare time this weekend to knock this project out. I definitely feel more comfortable after going over all your post.

Cornflakes'Camaro 06-17-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HP_atTheWheels (Post 6681630)
Sweet!! Thanks Cornflakes. :bow: Cant wait for some spare time this weekend to knock this project out. I definitely feel more comfortable after going over all your post.

No problem bud! Let me know how it works for you. And just remember, smoke (white or light blue) is normal.