Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Suggested mounting point for AEM UEGO sensor on ARH headers and exhaust (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34639)

SoloSK71 07-28-2009 08:31 PM

Suggested mounting point for AEM UEGO sensor on ARH headers and exhaust

Without being able to go under the car with these headers installed I can't tell where is the best location to mount this to keep out of the way of other parts. Anyone got a suggestion? One side over another?

http://i43.tinypic.com/b3pn3l.jpg

- SK

Crowley 07-29-2009 09:45 AM

I'm sure someone will chime in, I'm just wondering .. where in the car are you going to mount the gauge?

thanks,
Crowley

radz28 07-29-2009 11:06 AM

I bet you'll have to have an exhaust shop weld in a bung off of one of the collectors.

JMO.

ZZcamaro 07-29-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 734789)
I bet you'll have to have an exhaust shop weld in a bung off of one of the collectors.

JMO.

I agree....that would be the most durable and cleanest way to go!

SoloSK71 07-29-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley (Post 734485)
I'm sure someone will chime in, I'm just wondering .. where in the car are you going to mount the gauge?

thanks,
Crowley

Without having the vehicle right in front of me to measure I am not completely sure, but I am hoping it can be mounted to the left of the wheel and will sit above or below the dashdaq. Since I will more interested in logging than watching, the location is not as important.

- SK

hot ss 07-29-2009 07:48 PM

solo, disable the bank 2 sensors, and tune to one side, then switch sides to verify AFR.
youll prolly throw cat codes.

will it be 0420 code on this car too?

i always LAUGHED when i got that code. catalyst.

SoloSK71 07-29-2009 10:56 PM

I would like to keep all the factory sensors though, especially since I invested ina high end data logger for tuning.

I am guessing t will go somewhere 90° offset at the same point at the existing ones on the collector pipe.

- SK

Tankrust 07-30-2009 01:31 PM

The AEM UEGO sensor needs to be installed so that the sensor body is at an angle above horizontal relative to the ground. This is to prevent accumulation of condensation on the O2 sensor tip. The sensor has a heating element that burns off the condensation, but if it accumulates excessively it can ruin the sensor.

Keep in mind if you have not used a UEGO before, the gauge is very bright and busy. There is no way to dim the lighting. Also, you must keep the gauge powered if you are going to keep the WBO2 sensor installed in the exhaust. It provides the power to the heating element in the sensor itself. In other vehicles I have installed the gauge in a pod in the glove compartment. That way, if I want to look at it I can, but I keep it shut otherwise. I usually just use the UEGO RS-232 output for AFR logging with a laptop.

HotSS has a good idea if you only need to use the gauge when tuning. If you want to log all of the time, you will need to get a bung for the sensor welded on one side or the other. The spot where the existing front bung is located looks good, 90 degrees out like you said.

hot ss 07-30-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoloSK71 (Post 737667)
I would like to keep all the factory sensors though, especially since I invested ina high end data logger for tuning.

I am guessing t will go somewhere 90° offset at the same point at the existing ones on the collector pipe.

- SK

what you get??, i just use HPT pro. i have a nice little egt guage that puts out 0-5v as well. now where can i hide it all so the wife doesnt see it. i also use an innovate lm-1 with tail sniffer and a aem uego, and i use stereo jacks to quick connect to egt, and afr.

SoloSK71 07-31-2009 07:21 AM

So far just an AEM UEGO and the DashDAQ.

Got the DashDAQ for PC and CarDAQ-Plus cable to be able to program.

I may add a 3-axis accelerometer from Phidgets. Trying to find a 10Hz or 20Hz GPS sensor for recording track positions.

- SK

CamaroSpike23 08-18-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoloSK71 (Post 742250)
So far just an AEM UEGO and the DashDAQ.

Got the DashDAQ for PC and CarDAQ-Plus cable to be able to program.

I may add a 3-axis accelerometer from Phidgets. Trying to find a 10Hz or 20Hz GPS sensor for recording track positions.

- SK

like hot SS said, tune one side then the other.

or... another way I was pondering...
might be a little tricky to do, but have the bung installed at the X pipe :iono:

SoloSK71 08-21-2009 06:42 PM

Except installing there is after the cats and will not read correctly, I think?

- SK