Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Clay bar (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459681)

songsj 07-11-2016 09:26 PM

Clay bar

Anyone use the Meguires Clay Bar kit, for about 19.00. I have a Summit White 2015 2SS/RS, 6 months old, that has a paint problem. near as I can figure it is either fine over spray from when I painted my black fence posts or grease/ cooking residue from my gas grill from grilling. I have no idea how the paint over spray could have travel so far 15 to 75 ft even in the wind. And my grill is close to the garage but really does not smoke much. Hood, roof, trunk ,basically everything above the middle of the doors has it. I've tried polishes and waxes and the Meguires gold class took a lot of it off but I still can feel some of it to the touch. Is the clay bar the way to go, I have never used it before?:sad0147:

Rrm20151le 07-11-2016 09:29 PM

Clay bar will take care of it. Just be sure after the clay bar to wash and wax the car. Clay bar removes impurities and any wax / paint protection.

songsj 07-11-2016 09:43 PM

Do I HAVE to wash the car with dawn before I clay bar. The car is clean can I just go over what is on there.

Mike J 07-12-2016 03:45 AM

Look at the sticky in the washing Detailing thread in this section...will give all details how to do it properly

BRZN 07-12-2016 04:30 AM

It would be best to do a strip wash prior to claying the car. The strip wash will remove any wax or sealant on the finish. The clay will too, however the clay will degrade quickly as it becomes contaminated with your LSP.

My preferred strip wash is 2 ounces of Adam's Car Shampoo mixed with 4 ounces of his All Purpose Cleaner in about 3 gallons of warm water. Wash as usual. This won't dry out the rubber trim quite as much as dawn dishwashing liquid.

pbeyer2010 07-12-2016 06:08 AM

You definitely need to clean the car first. You can use a traditional car wash/shampoo but my preference is to use dawn. This will remove any old wax giving you a clean slate more or less. The Meguires clay bar does a nice job however, if it does not work, there are more aggressive clay bars out there for more stubborn fallout/contamination.

After claying the car you can elect to re-wash to remove any clay/fallout residue followed by either a two or three step finishing process.

2 step - polish/wax
3 step - polish/seal/wax

"Polishing" can really be 2-3 steps in and of itself, i am just trying to simplify it for you.

-Phil

WeflyhereSS 07-12-2016 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbeyer2010 (Post 9200082)
You definitely need to clean the car first. You can use a traditional car wash/shampoo but my preference is to use dawn. This will remove any old wax giving you a clean slate more or less. The Meguires clay bar does a nice job however, if it does not work, there are more aggressive clay bars out there for more stubborn fallout/contamination.

After claying the car you can elect to re-wash to remove any clay/fallout residue followed by either a two or three step finishing process.

2 step - polish/wax
3 step - polish/seal/wax

"Polishing" can really be 2-3 steps in and of itself, i am just trying to simplify it for you.

-Phil

yup

MMC 07-12-2016 10:04 AM

Dawn does a great job stripping, just don't forget to give her a tip. :bolt:

Joe M 2012 2SS 07-12-2016 05:03 PM

Skip the clay bar and get a clay alternative, much faster, easier, and requires less energy.

I use the SM Arnold Speedy Prep towel, others are available. As far as I know the SM is the most durable, good for up to 100 uses.

To answer your question though, yes the Megs kit will work. If you do the whole car you won't have much, if any of the detail spray left.

How to use a clay bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcZRj509Ir8

Speedy Prep towel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoyGSo0ekXc

songsj 07-12-2016 09:23 PM

Thanks everyone l, I bought the Meguires kit, and dawn, I am going to do a thorough wash then start the claying this weekend, roof first. It looks easy I just don't want to screw anything up, this car is basically new, not even a rock chip on the front. I'm not sure what I did for this to happen but I guess I better move my grill and close the garage door when I'm grilling. It' so weird because my grill really doesn't smoke much when I'm cooking but I think it is grease from the grill. I may know more after I wash it with dawn, if it comes out smooth with most or all of the contaminates off then that is what it is. I just don't see how over spray from my fence could have made it all the way into my garage and cover most of the car. I will be so happy when I get this back to like new.

BRZN 07-13-2016 05:24 AM

Good luck, and have fun sonsj. The contaminants could have actually been on the car when you purchased it, and you've just noticed it. Either way, the strip wash and clay bar should get normal surface contaminants off; bug exoskeletons, tree sap, rail dust, brake material, paint overspray, light industrial fallout, and whatever you were cooking on the grill!
Wipe your worked area dry from time to time and perform the "baggie" test to check your work to make sure you're getting your desired results.

songsj 07-14-2016 08:20 PM

Washed it with dawn this morning, almost all of whatever it was came off with the wax and polishes. , a little left on the passenger front fender so I'm going to wash that again. It came out so good I probably could get away without the clay bar but it has never been done and I already bought it so I'm going to give it a try. I really think it was fallout from my grill, guess I'll have to move it or close my garage door when cooking. I am really surprised because my grill smokes very little but there must be grease droplets in the hot air that comes out of the vents. Talk about weird.

SSJ455 07-15-2016 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMC (Post 9200343)
Dawn does a great job stripping, just don't forget to give her a tip. :bolt:

Thanks, folks. I'll be here all week.

songsj 07-16-2016 02:40 AM

Did the clay bar today, Could not have been easier, paint feels as smooth as a, well you know really smooth. Can't wait to get the Zaino on her, expecting great things, 6 months old, 1900 miles not even a rock chip, I have been very lucky. Now if I could just figure out how I'm going to grill my steaks, no where near my Camaro that's for sure. You can teach an old dog new tricks, almost 60, 1st time I've used clay bar.