Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Project Burnt Caramel (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153132)

Smiter 06-16-2011 04:00 AM

Project Burnt Caramel

This is my formal announcement of desire and intent to purchase, modify, and build my dream car from the base material supplied by General Motors in the form of a Camaro fifth generation build.

The following thread will document the idea of what the final product (if it ever may be finalized) may be, the aftermarket products to be included, the process of creating and modifying to fit within constraints, and the thought process behind the build. The ever-evolving idea of what I want from a car is driven by many factors to include my own personal history, what I think is cool, what would get the biggest wow factor, and how the overall result would look and function. I will endeavor to list where products were purchased from, cost, customer support/interaction, weight changes, visual enhancements, and finally performance enhancements. Constraints that will be limiting the build will be cost, time, expertise (mostly my own in-expertise), difficulty of addition of parts, and unknowns that are not presently evident. The thought process will mostly be stream of consciousness trying to describe what I want for a final product.

Mindz 06-16-2011 04:24 AM

Welcome to the forums. Can't wait to see what you have in mind. :wave:

Apex Motorsports 06-16-2011 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindz (Post 3345716)

+1 :popcorn:

The Stig 06-16-2011 06:55 AM

Welcome to camaro5. Can't wait to see what you're going to do with her.

Smiter 06-26-2011 07:05 AM

Project Burnt Caramel Part 2

2 Attachment(s)
History – Where I wax nostalgic

I would have to describe myself as a car enthusiast, not a car fanatic. I have never got my hands dirty in changing more labor intensive items on any car I have had. Oh, I’ve done the usual of changing the oil, tire, washer fluid, bulbs, and fluids; but I’ve never done any major work on a car. Let me explain my history of cars.

Young-un

I remember my first car as a generic Matchbox car; a red generic corvette looking car that didn’t have the best axles or alignment. I would send it with the greatest of force to wheel across the kitchen floor. I would spend hours pushing across the floor, willing it to drive in a straight line to get it as far as possible on a single push before it ran into obstacles or walls. I would carry it around with me and send it across the various floors of my house just to enjoy the sight of it rolling free as far as it could go. I also got a thrill when it would either miss a crash narrowly, or crash spectacularly. (Calvin & Hobbes Pic)

Soon enough, I was able to expand my collection through the usual means (mommy can I have this one?). One addition in particular sticks out in my mind. It was an old fashioned styled police car that had a siren and two LED’s on the top that would flash when pushing down on the shocks. It was the start of my affinity for technology, specifically specialized lighting on vehicles. This affinity for technology had a chance to grow when I got my hands on my next greatest toy, technic’s.

Technic is a line of Lego interconnecting plastic rods and parts. The purpose of this series is to create more advanced models with more complex movable arms, such as machines with wheels, in addition to the simpler brick-building properties of normal Lego. The concept was introduced as the Expert Builder series and originally Technical Sets in 1977, and was renamed Technic in 1984.
(Note 1)

Technic’s allowed the opportunity to build elaborate machines. I built cars, trucks, and planes. With each additional kit, I would have more supplies to build bigger and bigger cars. Then I got the penultimate kit, a duo F1 or coupe kit that was easily 1:15 scale of an actual car. This car had working shocks, six piston (mock up) engine, four speed manual transmission, rack and pinion steering, flip up head lights, and simulated brake lights. (Technic car pic) Once the established kit car was finished, I started adding my own additions to it. With the supplies at hand, interior and exterior lights, a hood, side doors, trunk, side fairings and windows were added. It was fun to see how simple additions changed the look of the car.

These personal experiences with my toys formed my desire and to play with and modify cars. To make something that was my own; knowing that I would be adding on to the greater accomplishments of better engineers and designers than myself. And, if done correctly creating something that is better than the original, but still highlighting the best parts of the original design. That is my ultimate goal.

Notes
1. Taken from wikipedia on Lego Technic's

Smiter 06-26-2011 07:09 AM

Replies 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindz (Post 3345716)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apex Chase (Post 3345780)
+1 :popcorn:

Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 3345857)
Welcome to camaro5. Can't wait to see what you're going to do with her.

Thanks for all the welcomes!