Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Got Sideswiped. What now? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335767)

My 5th 01-05-2014 05:49 PM

Got Sideswiped. What now?

1 Attachment(s)
Last night my wife and I were leaving a restaurant parking lot, I was driving, was making a left turn on a green light onto a major street. It is a four-way intersection where most of the cars on the other side also turn left, but some can and do turn right, or rarely, go straight across. Some dick making a left turn on the other side had his headlights on hi-beam and they were obscenely bright, which made me squint and look away. I didn't see some kid going straight through and he hit me on the passenger side from the door front edge to the rear fenderwell. Ouch! I swear he was going way too fast for exiting a parking lot, probably over 40mph, and that's a major reason I didn't see him coming. Both side airbags deployed and the passenger seat airbag as well. My wife has a bruised arm from the airbag, but other than minor stiffness she is OK. I only wounded my pride.

Here's my question. Look at the only pic I have of the scene and tell me what you think:
How much damage? How fast do you think the other car was going? (a 2006 Toyota Corolla), if they don't total it do you think I can get the entire car repainted? BTW, that's the tow truck driver laying next to the car, not a body I ran over.

Jims73z 01-05-2014 05:54 PM

I work in the body shop industry and I'd be surprised if it didn't total from what I see. It's also probably your fault if you turned in front of him regardless of his speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HerRide 01-05-2014 05:59 PM

Oh this is bad, man.

This is similar damage to my '13 Altima (airbags deployed but only one side airbag which really drove value down) and it was 7K work of damages. They never fixed it right, either. Was so sick of taking it back in and driving junky loaners that I traded it in. My car was brand new. They might total this one, especially with the front deployed.

Also, some kid hit me a few months prior to this in my Odyssey and I felt stiff but it got worse and worse to where I had to close my business and lose income. Please make sure she gets treatment if she doesn't feel better in a day or two. Good luck!

1 SIK SS 01-05-2014 06:00 PM

Totaled if airbags deployed. Sorry to hear

DocMartens 01-05-2014 06:01 PM

That sucks, glad you and your wife are okay.

Rctreece 01-05-2014 06:01 PM

Sorry to hear about that

Cam2011 01-05-2014 06:04 PM

What did the police say? Glad to see that neither of you were injured outside of a little soreness. The car can be replaced.

Josh The People 01-05-2014 06:12 PM

:facepalm: that sucks man... hope your insurance don't go up (accident forgiveness) and im no xpert but id say shes totaled.

Ryanbabz71 01-05-2014 06:13 PM

He had to of been going pretty fast for that kind of damage

Ryan

Shift_Rejected 01-05-2014 06:31 PM

Sorry to see that, being that the airbags deployed.. I'd say it's close to being totaled.

So whats next? Perhaps a 1LE or some shopping on Cars.com.. lol

Best of luck!

dkp2LT 01-05-2014 06:39 PM

There are jurisdictions around here where if a person is 10+ mph over the speed limit then they loose their right of way - meaning if you pull out in front of them & they're speeding then they're at fault. However I would think it would be hard to prove unless it's so bad (like a death) that the police would spend the time/money/effort to find out.

IMHO it's totaled. Hopefully you have something along the lines of accident forgiveness so you don't see a huge rate increase. I'd be worried if the other people were injured & decide to come after you & your insurance company.

Best of luck.

yellowrs 01-05-2014 06:41 PM

If your turn left it will be always your fault not matter what.
Did you get a ticket?

Msmall143 01-05-2014 06:41 PM

Where is the car now? I'd be worried if they total it all your mods in your signature will be going with it! I'd try to get possession of the car and start swapping parts. Do you have the parts to swap back to stock?

oldfriend 01-05-2014 06:41 PM

Let your insurance deal with it
It sucks but sometimes life throws this things at one and there is nothing one can do
Take care and good luck