Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gaming Lounge (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Your thoughts on DLC? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111038)

v6sonoma 10-15-2010 10:46 AM

Your thoughts on DLC?

So I have a question for everyone. How do you feel about DLC? I was pretty much always against paying for it. Maybe it's because of my PC days when people would just make new maps and give them away or when I would buy an expansion pack for C&C for $20-30 but it had several single player missions as well as new units and maps for multi player. Now it seems like stuff is deliberately being left out of games so they can whack us later. I paid for three DLC's this year. The map packs for MW2 and the first one for Transformers:WFC. I have somewhat enjoyed the MW2 ones but my brother only got the first pack and my best friend only recently got the game so when I play it's rarely on those maps. As for TF:WFC that game is pretty much broken and the list of players is dismal. I refused to buy the second map pack and what sucks is once you hook up with a group if they have it and the game jumps to a map you don't have you get booted. I have decided from this point on no more DLC for me. I refuse to put up with their crap anymore. I never liked it and I still don't. Your thoughts? :popcorn:

bigearl 10-15-2010 11:23 AM

Kind of varies for me. It bugs me to pay for nothing more than maps. However I don't mind paying $10 for something like a Mass Effect 2 DLC where they have to write up some content.

Big Brunsy 10-15-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigearl (Post 2444778)
Kind of varies for me. It bugs me to pay for nothing more than maps. However I don't mind paying $10 for something like a Mass Effect 2 DLC where they have to write up some content.

:word: I've spent alot of money on DLC for RPG's. The only map packs I've ever purchased were for GOW 1 & 2 (and one of em was even free)

Rogue Leader 10-15-2010 01:06 PM

Depends what you're getting. The first Uncharted 2 one was 2 multiplayer maps for like 5 bucks, and they were good maps too so that wasn't bad.

Basically if I'm paying for it it better be worth my money, because more than likely I can get this game in the bargain bin for 10 bucks next year.

Jay_LHD3 10-15-2010 01:57 PM

I quit playing Ace Combat 6 after I found out that they wanted to charge $5 per plane skin and the lobby setup sucked. Each week they were releasing three new skins.

What is worse is paying for DLC that is already on the disk. :mad0259:

CJ Man 10-15-2010 02:01 PM

It depends, if it's a brand new game and a dlc is coming out next month with two new levels that take place before the last level of the game (I am looking at you assasins creed 2) then I hate it. Just make a complete game.

If it is a game that's been out a couple of months and they add new content to add to the experience then I am for it.

Entaille 10-15-2010 03:36 PM

it depends on what you are getting. some content is worth money. it costs money to create, so it should cost money to obtain it. I am ok with it, but I've been burnt on it a few times.

unless it's playermade / experimental like a lot of things were in the late 90s/early 2000s for PC games, I don't see us getting a lot of free stuff anymore.

v6sonoma 10-15-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entaille (Post 2445647)
it depends on what you are getting. some content is worth money. it costs money to create, so it should cost money to obtain it. I am ok with it, but I've been burnt on it a few times.

unless it's playermade / experimental like a lot of things were in the late 90s/early 2000s for PC games, I don't see us getting a lot of free stuff anymore.

I'm ok with not getting free stuff. What bothers me is the recent trend towards making us pay twice. Like what EA sports is doing with it's new games. Each game comes with a code to access multi player. If you buy the game used or bring it to a friends house you will have to pay $10 for another code. That is :bs: Also a lot of games are shipping with the DLC on the disc and the codes just unlock it. Again :bs: Some DLC is definitely still worth it but the way things are moving they are trying to find new ways to milk the cow.

gHoSt437 10-15-2010 04:00 PM

I've spent allot of money on DLC over the last few years. For the campaign if its something that can add to a games story like Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den I thinks its well worth it for the story and few extra hours of play. Now crap like the Jedi Temple from SW: Force Unleashed that I paid $10 for and ran through in 30 min is uncalled for.

I don't really do much multi-player but think if its 5 or less maps it should be free and offered as a patch. If its like 10+ maps that the developer spent quite a bit of time on then I can see charging for it.

Though allot of developers try to make this content free but certain companies (cough...cough...Microsoft) insist on charging the customer for it. Epic went through that crap trying to give us free Gears of War maps a few years ago. Valve recently expressed how displeased they where with Microsoft for pretty much ruining Team Fortress 2's experience on the 360 by wanting to charge for updated content while the PC version is light years ahead from free content.

This doesn't mean I won't buy DLC, but I'm more selective. Plus allot of times if you wait DLC goes on sale and you can get things you may have an interest in pretty cheap. I picked up the 2 campaign add-on's with the extra costumes for Resident Evil 5 for $5 about a month ago...better than paying $15-20 when it came out.

Hemlawk 10-15-2010 05:01 PM

Ya, i'd say it depends on cost/product. Normally I skip DLC due to my A.D.D., hahhaha. I usually move on from a game before DLC is available.

Like COD MW2, I cant see spending that money on 5 maps, 1-2 of them where old from COD4... stupid.

Zabo 10-15-2010 09:54 PM

I'm for pay-DLC only if it's either a significant expansion (IE the Fallout DLCs) or adds new features that enhance the gameplay experience.

If they're charging for nose art, a costume, a map, or a gun.. they can shove all that where the sun doesn't shine.

IMO pay-DLC should only be a 'game changer' to use the buzz word as a pun and thus worth paying for. Otherwise put it on the disc or offer it for free. Unfortunately they know they can make a buck off of reskinning a "Special Edition" M60 for COD/MOH/BC.

Archias 10-18-2010 12:23 PM

As a longtime PC player Im beginning to miss the days of true expansions, ala Elder Scrolls Bloodmoon and Half Life OpFor. It seems like more and more DLCs these days are either geared toward the multiplayer crowd or add simple aesthetic crap or god items to a singleplayer game. I WANT CONTENT.

ED: Fallout DLCs were good, all in all Bethesda has a good track record for adding real content to their games via expansion.

bigearl 10-18-2010 12:56 PM

I just wanted to add that I'd pay something for maps, but not $10. $10 is the same as fullblown content in some other games. Maybe like $1 per map is enough to recognize the time of the guy who made it. I'd pay a $1 for some funky DLC weapon if it made a big enough pretty boom. 580pts for a mediocre armor pack seems craptacular.

lafountain 10-24-2010 12:10 AM

I don't mind DLC. The only thing that annoys me is that there are people who go through the effort and stuff to preorder to get special items just to have those items become available as DLC. If I preorder, that should be the only way to get it. Have DLC still for the games, but don't make it the same stuff that was made available for pre-ordering of the game.