Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tire pressure monitor mixing tires sides? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178173)

BloodUSMC 10-23-2011 12:20 AM

Tire pressure monitor mixing tires sides?

I was putting air in my front left tire today and it read 38. so I released some air and it seems like its registering on the tire pressure monitor the right tire.

so I deflate the left tire a little and the right side on the car dashboard is going down.

Could this be when I took off my rims I switched them from one side to the other?

The IOM Ninja 10-23-2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodUSMC (Post 3917438)
I was putting air in my front left tire today and it read 38. so I released some air and it seems like its registering on the tire pressure monitor the right tire.

so I deflate the left tire a little and the right side on the car dashboard is going down.

Could this be when I took off my rims I switched them from one side to the other?

Did you recalibrate the TPMS after you switched the tires?

BloodUSMC 10-23-2011 12:31 AM

No I didn't. how do I do that?

The IOM Ninja 10-23-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodUSMC (Post 3917463)
No I didn't. how do I do that?

Go into the DIC Tire Pressure Menu and Hold the button on the side of the Turn Signal Handle thing Until you hear a horn noise, then it will ask you if you're sure you want to reset. Then the turn signal on the that corresponds to the place on the Camaro you must start at will light up solid. Front Driver, Front Passenger, Rear Driver, Rear Passenger. In that order, Starting with the Front Driver tire either release air or fill the tire until the car honks at you, then move to the next one. :thumbup:

BloodUSMC 10-23-2011 12:37 AM

wow, thanks :)

The IOM Ninja 10-23-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodUSMC (Post 3917470)
wow, thanks :)

No problem

HDRDTD 10-23-2011 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja (Post 3917467)
Go into the DIC Tire Pressure Menu and Hold the button on the side of the Turn Signal Handle thing Until you hear a horn noise, then it will ask you if you're sure you want to reset. Then the turn signal on the that corresponds to the place on the Camaro you must start at will light up solid. Front Driver, Front Passenger, Rear Driver, Rear Passenger. In that order, Starting with the Front Driver tire either release air or fill the tire until the car honks at you, then move to the next one. :thumbup:

That method works on my 08 Malibu. but it does NOT work on my 11 Vert.
On the new car, it actually requires a special hand-held device that you hold next to each tire in sequence till the car beeps acknowledging it's read that tire.
Only th edealer has the special hand-held gadget. When th edealer did my TPMS for me when I bought new wheels/tires, I told him i'll buy one of thos e gadgets, but he told me even though they have come out with a new smaller version of the gadget, the one they use would sell for around $600.
The goo snews is, the dealer told me that any time I change wheels/tires, just stop by and they'll re-calibrate the new setup for free.
It only takes about 5 min to do all 4 wheels.

JWood 10-23-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDRDTD (Post 3917670)
That method works on my 08 Malibu. but it does NOT work on my 11 Vert

Check your owners manual, it works on my 2010.

ponbigi 10-23-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDRDTD (Post 3917670)
That method works on my 08 Malibu. but it does NOT work on my 11 Vert.
On the new car, it actually requires a special hand-held device that you hold next to each tire in sequence till the car beeps acknowledging it's read that tire.
Only th edealer has the special hand-held gadget. When th edealer did my TPMS for me when I bought new wheels/tires, I told him i'll buy one of thos e gadgets, but he told me even though they have come out with a new smaller version of the gadget, the one they use would sell for around $600.
The goo snews is, the dealer told me that any time I change wheels/tires, just stop by and they'll re-calibrate the new setup for free.
It only takes about 5 min to do all 4 wheels.

Read your owners manual

VR Baron 10-23-2011 08:56 AM

Had that that happen on my 2010 also but never did adjsut it before Itraded it in. Thanks for the input.

djb525 10-23-2011 08:56 AM

Worked on my 11 with stock and snow tires.

Papa T 10-23-2011 09:03 AM

Works on my 2011 both stock rims and my snow tire rims TPMS from the Tire Rack.
But I believe the sequence is Dr Front, Pass Front, Pass rear, Dr Rear.
Check the manual.

Here is the link to down load the manual from the Chevy site.
http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/chevy-manuals/

You need to do this each time you rotate or swap out rims.

Papa T 10-23-2011 09:24 AM

Looks like either method will work???
Using tool or letting air out of the tire.
Or maybe there is a cut off date/VIN?????

OK this is from the 2011 Manual I just downloaded. (NOTE: Is different from my printed 2011 Manual [section 10-61 10-62])
Section 10-64 and 10-65
The TPMS matching process is:
1. Set the parking brake.
2. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with
the engine off.
3. Go to the TPM vehicle
information screen on the DIC.
See Driver Information Center
(DIC) on page 5‑26. Press set to
relearn the sensors. The horn
sounds twice to signal the
receiver is in relearn mode
and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE
message displays on the DIC
screen.
4. Start with the driver side
front tire.
5. Place the relearn tool against
the tire sidewall, near the valve
stem. Then press the button
to activate the TPMS sensor.
A horn chirp confirms that the
sensor identification code has
been matched to this tire and
wheel position.
6. Proceed to the passenger
side front tire, and repeat the
procedure in Step 5.
7. Proceed to the passenger
side rear tire, and repeat the
procedure in Step 5.
8. Proceed to the driver side rear
tire, and repeat the procedure in
Step 5.
9. After hearing the confirming horn
chirp for the driver side rear tire,
the horn sounds two more times
to signal the tire learning mode
is no longer active. Turn the
ignition to LOCK/OFF.
10. Set all four tires to the
recommended air pressure
level as indicated on the Tire
and Loading Information label.
The tires air pressure will not
appear on the screen until driving
begins.

I just did this ~4 days ago and it worked fine

suplex 10-23-2011 09:47 AM

One thing that puzzles me, is if you want all four tires to be the same pressure, wouldn't it not matter where the tires were placed?

I would completely understand this if you had different size wheels in the front versus the back and they took different pressures, then I wouldn't even question it at all.

I have a 1LT without the RS package and I have 18" Wheels/Tires that require 35psi all the way around. As long as their all set correctly to 35psi, wouldn't it not matter what position each tire was in?