Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Manual or Automatic? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2036)

Dan 11-21-2007 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenm357 (Post 30666)
it depends on how heavy of a population your in... for me i live in a rural area and would NOT own a muscle car with an automatic transmission. i hate them with a passion.

if you live with a TON of stop and go.. it's hard not to go auto. but for me they down shift when i don't want. they up shift before i want.. MY first car was a 5 speed manual and i would never own an auto if i had a good choice in the matter.

Agreed, I currently have GTO with the manual and do 90% of my driving in the city. It is getting old, i will be going back to an auto next purchase.

Jay 11-21-2007 11:50 AM

manuallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll........... ........enuff said....but please dont learn on the new camaro.... if you cant buy a beater car first.... then go take like 3-4 lessons on a stick car as is you were taking driving lessons..... as long as you get a hold of it.... your set.

Jeff 11-22-2007 01:27 AM

All this talk.. Have you made your decision on what to get yet? :O

Eisenhower 11-22-2007 03:54 PM

Peh' my first car was a '79 accord hatchback, I wish I could've had a Camaro for my 16th B-day.:smoking:

Ok, being as young as you are I'd say go for the automatic, that way you can keep both hands on the wheel.:D Seriously, it provides improved control. I however am getting a 6-spd and recommend a 6-spd to you once you get some good driving experience under your belt.

Good53X 11-22-2007 11:02 PM

Someone commented on city driving growing on their nerves in a manual? I love being in traffic with my manual :) I rarely need to touch the brakes, and I know that the second I need to change lanes or jump into faster moving traffic that the power is there. With an automatic you can't be as pedal-happy, you may have to wait for the car to gear-down.

However it being your first car, automatic for sure, again, not just because of the ease of learning on an automatic, but definitely because for the first few years it's probably a good idea to not have to worry about anything other than traffic. ESPECIALLY in a gorgeous new car, that will undoubtedly get you tickets.

...I normally cruise the city in 4th gear, I wonder how fast that'll be in the new Camaro...

TAG UR IT 11-23-2007 01:33 AM

I commented on city driving getting on my nerves. Actually, it was the rush hour stop and go traffic w/a stick that got on my nerves. I wouldn't trade my 6spd Hurst short throw for anything. But, I would have taken an auto any day over a manual in that Austin rush hour....more like 2 hours we sat in stop and go traffic. My left leg actually was tired after all that clutch action. It was horrible. Driving city streets w/ my regular manual is the only way to go, though.

Raven 11-24-2007 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diarmadhi (Post 30533)
Learn to drive an automatic and you can only drive automatics..

Learn to drive a manual and you can drive anything on the road..

Totally agree. My mother insisted that my first car be a manual and I thank her every day. Most of my freinds when I was younger could only drive an auto so it was good that I liked to drive since none of them could drive my car. :D

stovt001 11-24-2007 02:17 PM

I was reading a British author recently, and he wrote that when he traveled to the U.S., he rented a car with an automatic, and put a look of horror on their faces when he told them he didn't know how to drive a car with an automatic transmission. I would have thought that learning to drive with a manual transmission would allow you to drive anything, but apparently for some Europeans it doesn't.

pearsonmx6 11-25-2007 09:58 PM

i bought half of my first car which was 2200. and thank gawd i did. i dont think any new driver should have a nice expensive car. i wrecked mine twice once in the snow. both were my fault and no one else was arround but if i did that to a new car i would be so screwed right now. so get a beater and drive that for a wile then get some thing nice.

crimsonjester 11-26-2007 04:00 PM

I prefer Automatic for the Rush Hour traffic, that said, I do love my RX8 with the racing pedals on the stearing wheel. When I want to play manual I just use them for downshifting and such.

2010_5thgen 11-26-2007 04:03 PM

manual!! my first car was a 99 brand new red camaro. unfortunately it was auto and a v6 but it had t tops. i wish i had gotten a manual and z28. but i made up for it 3 years later when i got my 99 6 spd trans am.

Scotsman 11-26-2007 08:25 PM

I'm not even gonna lie; Auto all the way! You guys can shift your own gears if you like, good luck keep'n up.:headbang: I sure hope they included paddle shifters with the Auto in the 5thgen. Man o man..... can't freak'n wait!

2010_5thgen 11-26-2007 09:27 PM

to me its not about going faster in a auto than a stick . its about the fun of up and down shifting. and im not planning on losing any power ill probably be adding about 150-200 more anyways.

Scotsman 11-26-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen (Post 31672)
to me its not about going faster in a auto than a stick . its about the fun of up and down shifting. and im not planning on losing any power ill probably be adding about 150-200 more anyways.

It's not about going faster for me either, but what the heck...

As long as the auto has paddle shifters, I'm happy.