Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Vinyl Rally Stripes (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7961)

kdbolt70 10-11-2008 09:06 AM

Slightly off topic, but could anyone find some comparison shots of the black rally's vs the cyber gray rally's on a red car? I don't know what would look better... If cyber gray was decent I'd go that route just to have it factory installed, but I have a feeling black is going to look much better...

TAG UR IT 10-11-2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermans (Post 152808)
Are those decal's or painted?

At first, I thought they were painted because they looked so darn good. But then, I looked closer and it looked as though there was an increadibly slight ridge at the edge of the stripe. I tried to find the best pic to show that.

But, these looked like decals to me.

I COULD BE WRONG. Because they looked too damn good to be decals. If this is what decals are like, they looked perfect!!!

Supermans 10-11-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 152847)
At first, I thought they were painted because they looked so darn good. But then, I looked closer and it looked as though there was an increadibly slight ridge at the edge of the stripe. I tried to find the best pic to show that.

But, these looked like decals to me.

I COULD BE WRONG. Because they looked too damn good to be decals. If this is what decals are like, they looked perfect!!!

You're right, the ridges on the edge of the pin-stripe look raised a bit, so It is a decal. However I've never seen decal's that shiny before so I wonder if this is the black or cyber grey metallic stripes, as from the picture and my small crappy monitor, it is hard to tell.

Stig 10-11-2008 11:54 AM

TAG!!!

Where did you get that pic from, and do you have more. I want to see that whole car!!!

Crowley 10-11-2008 01:09 PM

Just wondering about the durability of the vinyl? Will it peel? How about when you wax your car .. any issues?

thanks,
Crowley

headpunter 10-11-2008 01:17 PM

from what i just read, you can wax right over the stripes

fad1 10-11-2008 01:37 PM

I remember my friend telling me he power washed the car and the vinyl just peeled off. I laughed at it at first, but then I started to wonder..... What about the Camaro ?

Mr_Draco 10-11-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fad1 (Post 152984)
I remember my friend telling me he power washed the car and the vinyl just peeled off. I laughed at it at first, but then I started to wonder..... What about the Camaro ?

good question however I never power wash my car, I always hand wash it, but still would be nice to know.

ucla1ove3 10-11-2008 02:48 PM

yea they are vinyl, you can tell cause of the bottom right hand corner of the stripes are raised a bit.
and as for power washing, hell if i know. i don't think they would but i don't power wash my cars for my parents like that, i use the hose, a couple buckets of car wash mixed with water. a couple micro fiber cloths. some wax. etc. etc.

Ctrain24 10-11-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley (Post 152969)
Just wondering about the durability of the vinyl? Will it peel?

thanks,
Crowley

That's what I want to know. I'm sure they'll look great when we first buy the car, but what about five years later?

TAG UR IT 10-11-2008 11:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Stig. That was just the orange vert. Nothing new...sorry.

But sure, I have more.

Vinyl shouldn't peel....and I've heard it's stayed on cars for 20+ years no problem. I honestly don't think the vinyl will be a problem at all. GM wouldn't want their cars looking like crap out on the roads in 5 years... B A D B U S I N E S S.

Mr. Wyndham 10-12-2008 12:07 AM

Wow....this whole time I thought the stripes were painted on the Convertible....dang. Vinyl looks good! ;) :bellyroll:

Txturbo 10-12-2008 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley (Post 152969)
Just wondering about the durability of the vinyl? Will it peel? How about when you wax your car .. any issues?

thanks,
Crowley

I made my own stripes and put them on my 4th gen. I drive it through an automatic car wash every week. They don't peel and the vinyl is good for at least 7 years with no care. They make protectant you can apply just like for paint and you can also wax it.

logan1080 10-12-2008 09:33 AM

Is it possible to spray a layer of clear coat over the car and cover the stripes to protect them?