Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - NY / NJ / PA (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Fill her up! A question for Jerseyites and others at the gas pump. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34555)

Darqueling 07-28-2009 12:09 PM

Fill her up! A question for Jerseyites and others at the gas pump.

For those of you who have never been to the [sarcasm]great Garden State[/sarcasm] you probably do not know that it is a state law that at a gas station, only gas station attendants are allowed to operate the pumps.

With that said, my current car has suffered plenty of gas drips and subsequently rust under the gas lid due to some attendants rushing and not caring to make sure there the nozzle is all good and done.

So now onto my question... Do you allow the attendants to fill her up, do they take extra care cause it is a nice new car, or do you insist on doing it yourself? Personally I would prefer to do it myself with my Camaro, but currently with my Accord I really could care less as she is soon to be retired anyway. Anyone have any good/bad stories related to this they would care to share?

jpsuperman81 07-28-2009 12:12 PM

I had no idea laws like these remained. Is it just to create a job or what?

firstmate 07-28-2009 12:16 PM

Me either!! I actually didn't think any stations still had "attendants" that actually pumped the gas, just those to take your money if you don't use a card at the pump!!!

VR Code R6P 07-28-2009 12:17 PM

Dripped fuel should not cause rust, are you sure it's rust, or a rusty colored deposit? Tell the "attendant" not to drip anything on the paint. After all, he is a professional.

levi1922 07-28-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR Code R6P (Post 730992)
Dripped fuel should not cause rust, are you sure it's rust, or a rusty colored deposit? Tell the "attendant" not to drip anything on the paint. After all, he is a professional.

hahhahahahaha:laugh::laugh:

Nezacant 07-28-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 (Post 730973)
I had no idea laws like these remained. Is it just to create a job or what?

That is exactly why they do it.

Stooph 07-28-2009 12:26 PM

I believe there are some places in NJ that say "full service" meaning the attendant will do it, but if you choose to do it the attendant can easily honor that. Chances are they will stand along side of you and make sure you are doing it right. Also, if you tend to go to specific gas station more so than others, maybe the attendant will be friendly with you and understand your request. I've seen this several times. My boyfriend does this on occasion, he just gets out of the car and will fill it up. The attendant will talk to him but he also goes to this location quite often.

67 Convertible 07-28-2009 12:35 PM

I have vowed that no one will put a gas nozzle near my car except for me. You can't believe all the scratches on the fender of my old car all around the gas fill, where they scrape the nozzle against the car.

xxbrankxx 07-28-2009 01:50 PM

I don't think I'm moving to NJ like I originally planned. Between the stupid front license plate law and the no pumping gas yourself law, I think I'm staying in PA after all.

SirBrad 07-28-2009 02:30 PM

I’ve been letting them pump it. I hate when those weasels top if off by clicking to get an extra 17¢ from you to make the sale an even number.

Coming from years of living in PA, this is the dumbest law ever. Get with the times. Plus, sometimes it takes forever to get in and get out because one attendant will be running 6 pumps at a time. Dumb law that needs to be abolished.

wullger 07-28-2009 02:33 PM

Oregon has this silly law too, or at least they still did when I visited in 2004.

Buby2 07-30-2009 10:08 AM

Never heard of such a law in NJ CT or NY for that matter. Just was in Livingston NJ to get the paperwork on my 2LT that I ordered and saw a gas station with a $2.34 price so I zipped in and filled her up MYSELF. Never let a monkey put gas in your Camaro. You just spent a whole bunch of bucks on a beautiful car why would you chance a monkey to overfill or spill gas on the paint ??? Lets not be lazy. my God.

S-10Ken 07-30-2009 10:31 AM

Ive lived in Jersey all my life and have never had a problem pumping my own gas. I know you are not allowed but I dont think its much of an issue if you want to do it yourself.

OUR72GTO 07-30-2009 10:38 AM

$10,000 fine in OREGON I Was told when I started to pump my own.