Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Should power wire from battery have resistance to ground (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541734)

lil-bit 11-02-2018 08:32 PM

Should power wire from battery have resistance to ground

Can anyone with an ohm meter check to see if they have resistance to ground on the positive side of the batter or the positive post under the hood. I've been having fuses blow and starters fry. When I check to see resistance between the power side of the car to a ground I get some resistance just wanted to see if anyone could do the same test and see if they get the same result.

Moto-Mojo 11-25-2018 09:37 AM

Not really sure about ‘resistance.’ From the positive post to ground is 12V with ZERO resistance - as in anything from the postive side to ground is a dead short and would blow fuses or kill the battery. Every electrical device the car uses would have some resistance associated with it. :noidea:

lawdog 11-29-2018 12:45 AM

You may want to trace your main power cable And see that you don't have a problem with your positive cable and insulation burned through as it runs close to the engine or Car Body in areas. Just a thought.
When you find the solution, please let us know what the culprit was.

Rock-It Man 11-29-2018 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo (Post 10368433)
Not really sure about ‘resistance.’ From the positive post to ground is 12V with ZERO resistance - as in anything from the postive side to ground is a dead short and would blow fuses or kill the battery. Every electrical device the car uses would have some resistance associated with it. :noidea:

I think you mean infinite resistance.

larry_g 11-29-2018 11:10 AM

If you haven't completely isolated the wiring harness (disconnected everything), yes you will see resistance as it is passing through components that go to ground.

If you keep blowing the same fuse, you need to isolate that circuit and trace down either a short or high amperage draw.

What you really want to check is that you have minimal resistance between the engine block and the negative battery terminal. High resistance would indicate a bad ground connection and that can cause all kinds of issues.

Moto-Mojo 12-01-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock-It Man (Post 10371729)
I think you mean infinite resistance.

Hmm, "In an 'ideal' short circuit, this means there is no resistance and thus no voltage drop across the connection. In real circuits, the result is a connection with almost no resistance. In such a case, the current is limited only by the resistance of the rest of the circuit."

Rock-It Man 12-01-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo (Post 10373697)
Hmm, "In an 'ideal' short circuit, this means there is no resistance and thus no voltage drop across the connection. In real circuits, the result is a connection with almost no resistance. In such a case, the current is limited only by the resistance of the rest of the circuit."

infinity is the opposite of zero.

When there is infinite resistance, there is NO CURRENT POSSIBLE.