Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Report: 2012 Camaro to get new LFX V6 Engine (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122384)

ssmike 01-03-2011 08:58 AM

Any word on power increases to the 2012 V8's?

GTPprix 01-03-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS (Post 2691944)
:sm0:

Win I haz trophy now! :D heheeh

Aaaaaaaanyhow now that I've had my fun, tidbit time...

What I've seen so far..

-Larger Injectors
-Slightly Larger exhaust valves (not sure if those are production or not)
-Slightly higher cam duration and lift on both cams (again not sure if they made the cut)
-Revised Intake Manifold
-Moved from Bosch E69-4 ECM to Delphi E39 ECM (w00t for all you guys wanting to tune!)

Brokinarrow 01-03-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaksabb (Post 2691849)
The only difference I notice in the quick description is "E85 MAX". Could that mean that this engine has a higher compression ratio and is tuned for 91+ Octane? That alone would boost HP nicely and combat the inherent fuel economy drop when running on E85. It would require a reliable source of E85 and begs the question of how it runs on Premium Gas alternative.

I seriously doubt that they would make the 'entry level' Camaro require 91 octane, as more people are going to want it for a daily driver, or because they don't have cash to throw at an SS. People in those situations (like myself) don't want to have to spend extra money on gas, and I'm sure this engine will still put out exceptional performance on the standard 87/89 octane.

FenwickHockey65 01-03-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTPprix (Post 2691904)
Sorry I was referring to the post I made outing the new engine (and the fact that the new IMPALA shares the same platform merch codes now) here and reported it saying it might make a good story to the mods then boom it shows up but not even a "hey thanks for the tip" LOL

(http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=147)

NG Impala's staying FWD on EpII unless something has changed.

BackinBlackSS/RS 01-03-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTPprix (Post 2691955)
Win I haz trophy now! :D heheeh

Aaaaaaaanyhow now that I've had my fun, tidbit time...

What I've seen so far..

-Larger Injectors
-Slightly Larger exhaust valves (not sure if those are production or not)
-Slightly higher cam duration and lift on both cams (again not sure if they made the cut)
-Revised Intake Manifold
-Moved from Bosch E69-4 ECM to Delphi E39 ECM (w00t for all you guys wanting to tune!)

:headbang:

GTPprix 01-03-2011 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 2691969)
NG Impala's staying FWD on EpII unless something has changed.

I had thought that as well BUT I've never seen this be wrong YET so hopefully its not ;) (plus I've heard some grumblings to this end)

Shifty 6 01-03-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokinarrow (Post 2691958)
I seriously doubt that they would make the 'entry level' Camaro require 91 octane, as more people are going to want it for a daily driver, or because they don't have cash to throw at an SS. People in those situations (like myself) don't want to have to spend extra money on gas, and I'm sure this engine will still put out exceptional performance on the standard 87/89 octane.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I will. Does anyone know the price difference between 87 octane and 91 octane? It is typically about 20 - 25 cents per gallon. Even at 20 gallons that is a $4 (per tank!) difference. If you can't sqeeze $4 a week, might I recommend a used Chevy Cavalier, or Cobalt. I hear they get excellent mileage.

stand-al0ne 01-03-2011 09:20 AM

Doesn't anyone else think this is too early to speculate on new HP at this point?

The fact they are considering a new v6 for 2012 is cool, but any assumptions will be unfounded on any facts at this point.

And while this is neat, I would like to learn more about a factory turbo'd v6...now thats speculation worth talking about :)

pennor 01-03-2011 09:26 AM

I could care less about a few extra horses, but I totally stoked about being able to use E85 finally. So I've once again come up a year short. Should'a waited 'till '12 so I could get the E85 model!

Anyway, if there are any factory type's out there I would be REALLY interested to know if the 2010 E85 rating is due to actual changes being made to the injectors or the computer or if like the 2011 V6 changes they are simply advertising and rerating the engine for something that it always had the cability to do. With gas headed north of $4/gal this year I'd love to start buring E85 for a number of reasons, some environmental, some economic, and some tax advantages.

Berean 01-03-2011 09:32 AM

I guess I'm a bit confused. My understanding is that the LF1 and our LLT are the same engine family, not different engines.

It sounds like to me, they're going to make the current LLT E85 capable, with maybe a few tweaks to get additional HP (around 330 maybe?).

Am I missing something?

b4z 01-03-2011 09:38 AM

Hoping they have found a permanent fix for the timing chain issues.

With 330hp my guess is this will go in to the Silverado also.

And a 2012 Camaro with this motor and the FE4 suspension option would be a blast on the twisties.

GEEo 01-03-2011 09:44 AM

Nice

Dyk-NO 01-03-2011 09:46 AM

once this goes into production I hope there would be more aftermarket products for our v6 YEAHHH!!!!!!