Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Any way to disable Auto Headlights Permanently? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70735)

V8Addict 03-12-2010 05:24 PM

Any way to disable Auto Headlights Permanently?

Does anyone know how to permanently turn off the auto headlights on the SS? I know I can temporarily turn them off but it resets itself to auto....sometimes I want complete control.

XTREMESS 03-12-2010 05:38 PM

you would need an alarmguy(a good one) to set up a relay to pulse whattever that switch pulsesto the bcm , everytime you turn on the car
thats it!

Jer4251 03-14-2010 06:03 PM

in the older cars, it was just a resister in the dash sensor.

christianmotox 04-23-2010 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Addict (Post 1582289)
Does anyone know how to permanently turn off the auto headlights on the SS? I know I can temporarily turn them off but it resets itself to auto....sometimes I want complete control.

ALL you need to do is open the switch and remove or cut the spring that makes the knob come back to "Auto", once you remove it, you will be able to leave it at "Off" and move it as you wish.
it only takes like 10 minutes.

NEGXXIS 04-26-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christianmotox (Post 1757633)
ALL you need to do is open the switch and remove or cut the spring that makes the knob come back to "Auto", once you remove it, you will be able to leave it at "Off" and move it as you wish.

I did basically the same thing to my switch. works great :thumbsup:

IamJacksCamaro 07-04-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christianmotox (Post 1757633)

To anyone that has done this mod, does the warning about the automatic headlight control being turned off still pop up on the DIC? I would imagine that if it did, it would come on each time the ignition is turned on.

joblumer 07-06-2010 12:42 PM

so how do you remove the switch, is there a diy

christianmotox 07-06-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamJacksCamaro (Post 2058631)
To anyone that has done this mod, does the warning about the automatic headlight control being turned off still pop up on the DIC? I would imagine that if it did, it would come on each time the ignition is turned on.

The warring only comes on if you have the car runing and you move the knob to OFF, but if the know is always in the off position, you will not get the warning on the DIC.

christianmotox 07-06-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joblumer (Post 2063886)
so how do you remove the switch, is there a diy

Its pretty straight forward, just use a card to pry it open from the knob side, and it will pop out, once its out, just disconnect the plug.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...x/IMAG0209.jpg

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...x/IMAG0210.jpg

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...x/IMAG0211.jpg

joblumer 07-07-2010 11:10 AM

thanks

joblumer 07-08-2010 09:15 AM

Ok, got switch out and disconnected, really easy. Tried to take switck apart not so easy. Did not want to break, so how do you take switch apart. thanks

amanc96 07-08-2010 12:53 PM

Use a flat head screw driver and slowly work the back off by prying the tabs back. and don't forget about the two in the middle of the switch.

joblumer 07-08-2010 01:20 PM

OK, thanks. I tried that last night, guess I was not patient enough. Will spend a little more time on over the weekend. Again thanks for quick reply.

t.c.tam 09-29-2010 08:16 PM

can anyone confirm that this works please? i imagine if you turn on the car and hold the switch to the left, the auto headlight will still be on because that is the default computer setting.

jagan323 09-29-2010 09:54 PM

doesnt work in Canada =)

1sspat 11-01-2010 12:39 AM

I just completed it!!! Works Well. I just ended up cutting the spring, so now when the vehicle is started, and the switch is already in the off position, the warning light on the DIC does NOT come on. Everything works, minus the switch is now some what loose when it is in the OFF position. Everything still works accordingly however! Took me about 15 minutes and I am glad I did it.

caverman 11-19-2010 09:34 AM

Anyone have a pic of the spring?

I might do this if it's possible for me to put it all back. I would imagine GM doesn't sell just the spring. You would have to buy the whole switch go back.

CyberPunk223 11-10-2012 04:03 PM

okay, I want to install HID head lights on my 1Ls, but it is strongly recomended to disable all automatic headlights before doing this because they say the battery alone is not strong enough to start up the lights and that you should have the engine running. I;m getting this from here

http://www.philipshidkits.com/installation/

so if I do this spring mod will the headlights still come on when I exit the car like they do now?

I bought a cheapo Xentec set of BiXenon lights and had nothing but problems with them, now I'm looking into getting some good panasonic Bixenon ones. has anyone else done this?? what advice can you give me?

C586 11-10-2012 04:22 PM

Panasonic doesn't make his stuff. It's fake using their name. Go to TRS and get real HiD stuff. Don't just put an HID kit in your headlights. That's what Honda owners do. Do a retrofit. If you can't afford it you can't afford HIDs.

C586 11-10-2012 04:23 PM

Panasonic doesn't make his stuff. It's fake using their name. Go to TRS and get real HiD stuff. Don't just put an HID kit in your headlights. That's what Honda owners do. Do a retrofit. If you can't afford it you can't afford HIDs. If you do that your headlights will work just like stock. And that switch mod won't work for you.

CyberPunk223 11-10-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C586 (Post 5794806)
Panasonic doesn't make his stuff. It's fake using their name. Go to TRS and get real HiD stuff. Don't just put an HID kit in your headlights. That's what Honda owners do. Do a retrofit. If you can't afford it you can't afford HIDs. If you do that your headlights will work just like stock. And that switch mod won't work for you.

yes, panasonic does make Hid's, they make them for toyota & lexus, and and they even sell them on the website you listed. I'm not spending a $1000 I dont have on projectors because there's no reason to, plus i hate they way they look anyway.

I just dont want to spend $250 for a good kit and then have problems with them. Does this spring switch mod disable the headlights turning on for the vechicle exit and entry too?

C586 11-10-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 (Post 5794879)
yes, panasonic does make Hid's, they make them for toyota & lexus, and and they even sell them on the website you listed. I'm not spending a $1000 I dont have on projectors because there's no reason to, plus i hate they way they look anyway.

I just dont want to spend $250 for a good kit and then have problems with them. Does this spring switch mod disable the headlights turning on for the vechicle exit and entry too?

270 bucks for a full retrofit. Or you can be a dick and blind everyone on the road and ruin your light output and have to hack up your car to get them to work. And they will be illegal as well. You hate how projectors look?? Seriously?? Obviously you didn't look at that website. Because even a ls460 retrofit would be around 700. And you don't get better than that. And denso makes ballasts for Toyota and Lexus. Not Panasonic. Do some more research.

Also there is a huge reason to have projectors. You need them when you put aftermarket HID in a car.

And yea. The spring mod will stop the headlights from turning on until you use the switch to turn them on.

CyberPunk223 11-11-2012 12:41 PM

I just did this, the mechanism is pretty complex but I got it figured out, took about 20 minutes to figure it all out, It appears that this all completely disabled all automatic lights including DRL's and the entry & exit lights which is what i need for HID's. and the headlights dont even flash when I lock the car so it's perfect. I took pictures inside the switch, I will post them up tonight when I have time with more of an explanation of how to do it.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 11-11-2012 01:03 PM

I guess my question would be WHY?

personally I think all vehicles should come with auto headlights, far to often I see retards driving around in the dead of night with no lights on because they are clueless idiots.

C586 11-11-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 (Post 5797235)
I just did this, the mechanism is pretty complex but I got it figured out, took about 20 minutes to figure it all out, It appears that this all completely disabled all automatic lights including DRL's and the entry & exit lights which is what i need for HID's. and the headlights dont even flash when I lock the car so it's perfect. I took pictures inside the switch, I will post them up tonight when I have time with more of an explanation of how to do it.

Even though a quality set of HIDs would have worked without doing any of this?? Lol. Stop buying cheap junk and stop being lazy and you won't have issues.

C586 11-11-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE (Post 5797271)
I guess my question would be WHY?

Because people want to bypass safety features of their cars or don't want to do stuff the right way. I don't get it either. I can get rid of DRL or move them on even a Canadian camaro in about 15 minutes with less than 15 bucks in parts.

retmil 11-11-2012 03:16 PM

guess my question would be WHY?

personally I think all vehicles should come with auto headlights, far to often I see retards driving around in the dead of night with no lights on because they are clueless idiots

I agree - Too many morons drive in the dark with the DRLs on!

CyberPunk223 11-11-2012 05:01 PM

I noticed that if you turn the switch to the auto posistion it's still turning on the automatic lights. Also if you have the lights on and turn them to the off posistion the parking lights stay on and the warning chime sound even when you exit the car and lock the doors, you have to cycle the switch back to the auto posistion and back off again to get the parking lights to turn off.

For anyone wondering what's inside the switch, first of all the knob comes off when you remove the back. There are 4 tabs that align to orientate the knob on the switch. there is a dot on the knob that indicates it's posistion, this should line up with the automatic mode as it was when you started. The spring is the coiled steel piece around the knob. I only cut the last 1/4" off, I probably should have cut more of the spring off, I tried removing the whole thing in 1 piece but it wouldnt come off.
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/x...i/IMG_0346.jpg
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/x...i/IMG_0348.jpg

Then this light piece may fall of on you like it did me, it took a few minutes to figure out how it went back on

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/x...i/IMG_0349.jpg

CyberPunk223 11-11-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C586 (Post 5797581)
Even though a quality set of HIDs would have worked without doing any of this?? Lol. Stop buying cheap junk and stop being lazy and you won't have issues.

well I was reading from this website that sales OEM HID kits and they say you should disable automatic headlights before installing an HID kit, so that's what I'm doing before laying down $280 on a OEM HID kit.

This may be why I had problems from the cheap Xentec kit which I took off weeks ago.

http://www.philipshidkits.com/installation/

this is from the above website

Problem: - In many cases, especially for those cars that have Auto "ON" or Daytime Running Lights; one or both lights cannot Ignite Initially, Discharge Bulb turns off just after start of the car, or even sometimes, bulb just turns off when driving.
  • Damage:
    Fried ballast, internally damage or burn the discharge bulb Gas Capsule.
  • Solution:
    You MUST Disconnect the Daytime Running Light or Auto Switch ON function immediately before the actual HID Conversion. Due to the Steady levels of battery voltage at 12V the battery doesn't have enough power to switch on the "Auto On" feature which uses 7V and the HID system which requires 12V at the same time.
    • if you have Daytime Running Light please follow your car s service manual; disconnect the fuse or wiring of Daytime Running lights only.
    • If you have Auto Switch On Headlights, please switch the function to Manual Switch On headlights. To avoid further damages, always remember to start your engine before turn on the HID system!

If you can tell me otherwise I'd like to hear about it.

C586 11-11-2012 08:01 PM

Well first of all that is not OEM HID stuff. Its cheap knockoff crap. Just because it says philips on it doesnt mean its any good. Philips never made a bulb type other than OEM style. No rebases so it screams knock off. You can get the same stuff for 25 on eBay. I've done HID on a camaro many times. Get a quality kit from TRS like I told you before and it will work just like stock. No need to mess around or hack up the car. It's 270 bucks for an entire kit!!! Including projectors. It's very easy to type in a website. Idk why you haven't yet. You need the full kit with moritomo standalone canbus harness. Hook everything up with a new light switch you didn't break and it will work just like stock. No bulb out warnings and a very quick startup and no need for wiring everywhere.

CyberPunk223 11-12-2012 09:39 PM

yeah, now I regret doing this switch mod, the automatic healights turn on when you turn them off anyway, it confuses the computer and the parking lights are still on when you leave the car, i have to cycle the switch again just to get the parking lights to turn off and then the headlights flash again anyway as it passes over the auto setting. I'm going to try to work with it some more but I'll probably end up buying another switch, hopefully it wont be too expensive.

C586 11-12-2012 09:48 PM

If you get another switch and spend 270 bucks at TRS you won't have any issues. Ad you will have OEM quality projector headlights. And no bulb out warnings and the car will turn them off if you leave them on.

CyberPunk223 11-12-2012 10:23 PM

okay, I played with it more, still doing the same thing, Luckiliy I was able to get a new switch off ebay for only $25 so now I feel better.

So does everyone agree the TRS HID's are good to get?? I did some web searching and coudn't really find anything bad said about them. It's just unreal how much fake crap is out there, everything on ebay looks like junk. I've never seen anything counterfeited this bad, it's worse that counterfeit gold coins or rolex watches.

Is this a good one?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=12825

I plan on just getting the 35watt just because they are more reliable. Right? is that the thinking? why not just get the 50 watt?

thanks for the help.

C586 11-13-2012 06:07 AM

That's kinda what you need. You need to do a retrofit though. Your car will look cool but your lighting will be crap because you have a base model. Your headlights where not designed for HID. There will be light thrown everywhere including in the eyes of all the other drivers on the road. You will be that asswhole blinding everyone else. And the light on the road will be even with stock or maybe worse. But you will look cool. Lol

CyberPunk223 11-13-2012 05:16 PM

yeah, i know, I just dont feel comfortable cutting up my headlights, plus i really dont have the time to do it, like i said I have Carbon GTS covers on now, plus I'm getting the 4300k color and oly the 35 watt kit so it shouldn'y be bad.

GVA 45TH 2SS 11-13-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE (Post 5797271)
personally I think all vehicles should come with auto headlights, far to often I see retards driving around in the dead of night with no lights on because they are clueless idiots.

Thats how the police spot the DUI's ;)

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 11-13-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS (Post 5805484)
Thats how the police spot the DUI's ;)

DUI = Dumb Useless Idiot?

C586 11-13-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 (Post 5805150)
yeah, i know, I just dont feel comfortable cutting up my headlights, plus i really dont have the time to do it, like i said I have Carbon GTS covers on now, plus I'm getting the 4300k color and oly the 35 watt kit so it shouldn'y be bad.

Just excuses. You don't have to cut anything up and it takes like 3 hours start to finish. You try and improve your headlights by blinding other people because you covered up your headlights?? At least idiots are entertaining.

CyberPunk223 11-13-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C586 (Post 5805678)
Just excuses. You don't have to cut anything up and it takes like 3 hours start to finish. You try and improve your headlights by blinding other people because you covered up your headlights?? At least idiots are entertaining.

I covered my headlights so they dont look like shit in 2-3 years like everyone elses and to black out the entire grill during the day which looks really good. and any headlights will blind people dumb ebough to stare directly into them. Why do people like you have a fetish running around telling other people what they have to do? If projectors reduce the brightness of the headlights to prevent from blinding people like you say then they are a waste of money and time anyway. And then your risking ruining the lights or having problems with them like condesation for nothing. Now that's idiotic. The only reason they put those pieces of junk on factory cars is because the loser government makes them do it.

C586 11-13-2012 11:22 PM

Lmao. Projectors don't dim the light. They focus the light and make a nice cutoff so the light goes where the driver needs it to see the road. A projector makes the light much brighter yet prevents the brighter light from blinding others. Are you like 15 or something?? Idk of any car where the headlights look like shit if they aren't covered. Your an idiot. Plain and simple. Your parents just bought you a cool car and you want to know how to work on it but you have no clue how to even follow a step by step video on how to retrofit. The government doesn't force the factory to use projectors. It's just what some people call the right way to do it. Your doing it the hackjob way. If you want to hack up a nice car go for it. Sucks you can't afford a real HID kit.