Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Finally Upgrading rotors (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165293)

RedVictory 08-15-2011 01:19 PM

Finally Upgrading rotors

I just received my Dimpled and slotted rotors (black zinc finish) from brake performance and can't wait to get them installed

However I'm never done brake rotors or pads and am relying on a friend to help install them and I wanted to see what other tools I may need.

There seems to be little information for v6 models. I understand that I need a torx wrench for the bolt that holds the rotor to the hub and possibly a tap to remove the pins from the caliper. Also some people seem to recommend loctite as well for all bolts, is that really necessary?

also what is the best jack point for a floor jack? I searched and found some conflicting information regarding the cross member in the front, obviously in only doing one corner at a time so I don't see the point in lifting the whole front of the car.

Also I do have one last stupid question, how do you replace the rear pads when you need to engage the handbrake so the car does not move. It's a manual transmission.

Ive searched as much as I can and still have these questions

I promise to upload pics if you guys can help me out

Thanks in advance!

TLSTWIN 08-15-2011 02:20 PM

However I'm never done brake rotors or pads and am relying on a friend to help install them and I wanted to see what other tools I may need.

"C" clamp, or a similar style tool to push the pistons back into the caliper, but your friend should know this....use old brake pad to insure the pistons are pushed as a unit.

There seems to be little information for v6 models. I understand that I need a torx wrench for the bolt that holds the rotor to the hub and possibly a tap to remove the pins from the caliper. Also some people seem to recommend loctite as well for all bolts, is that really nessesary? I have NEVER used loctite on my calipers on ANY car, but to each there own.... I wouldn't

also what is the best jack point for a floor jack? I searched and found some conflicting information regarding the cross member in the front, obviously in only doing one corner at a time so I don't see the point in lifting the whole front of the car. You can do one side at a time by putting the jack right on the jack point supplied by GM. I did this with a floor jack when I changed out my rims

Also I do have one last stupid question, how do you replace the rear pads when you need to engage the handbrake so the car does not move. It's a manual transmission. Again, you can do one side at a time by using the jacking points. If you want to do both sides, just put a "block"/wheelchock on both side of the front tires

Hope that helps:thumbsup:

RedVictory 08-15-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLSTWIN (Post 3619956)

"C" clamp, or a similar style tool to push the pistons back into the caliper, but your friend should know this....use old brake pad to insure the pistons are pushed as a unit.

There seems to be little information for v6 models. I understand that I need a torx wrench for the bolt that holds the rotor to the hub and possibly a tap to remove the pins from the caliper. Also some people seem to recommend loctite as well for all bolts, is that really nessesary? I have NEVER used loctite on my calipers on ANY car, but to each there own.... I wouldn't

also what is the best jack point for a floor jack? I searched and found some conflicting information regarding the cross member in the front, obviously in only doing one corner at a time so I don't see the point in lifting the whole front of the car. You can do one side at a time by putting the jack right on the jack point supplied by GM. I did this with a floor jack when I changed out my rims

Also I do have one last stupid question, how do you replace the rear pads when you need to engage the handbrake so the car does not move. It's a manual transmission. Again, you can do one side at a time by using the jacking points. If you want to do both sides, just put a "block"/wheelchock on both side of the front tires

Hope that helps:thumbsup:

thanks buddy, i really appreciate the help!

TLSTWIN 08-15-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedVictory (Post 3619978)
thanks buddy, i really appreciate the help!

NO problem:D