Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Transmission problem... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286390)

tomster 03-31-2013 09:27 PM

Transmission problem...

Had a few days of warm weather and finally get to get it out and get on it a little. I have a track day coming up at mid Ohio on the 13th-14th and wanted to practice banging gears seeing how i haven't had much seat time after break in (only 1800 mile on it) Since day one of owning this car I have felt that when shifting fast its hard to to go from 2nd to 3rd.(seems like I always hit the gate area between 1st and 2nd). Also Sometimes It would go in second kinda hard. (like notchy) Well today it started grinding when shifting in to 5th. With the track day coming up I think i may just run it like this and have the dealer look at it after....

but what do you guys all think. Anyone else have any of these problems?

Also have a note worthy clunk when you transition from on to off gas or off to on gas at low speeds in first or second.:help::help:

John Deere Racer 03-31-2013 09:54 PM

Had the same trouble at the drag strip
Wouldn't go n 3rd at high rpm

tomster 03-31-2013 10:00 PM

what did you do to fix it?

John Deere Racer 03-31-2013 10:02 PM

May put a clutch resivour in

tomster 04-01-2013 06:19 PM

have an appointment with the dealer on Thursday... not looking forward to them ripping the tranny out of my brand new car. Hope they will have it done before my track day i already paid for on the 13th!

tomster 04-05-2013 10:27 PM

dealer called today stated g/m is shipping them a hole new trans. G/m wants mine back in one piece to find out what failed. They didn't even want the dealer to open it up and look.

Whos_Drivin 04-06-2013 07:41 AM

I've had the same trouble with third at high rpms. Ground the gears a couple times because it wouldn't go in and I was off the clutch too fast. Let us know of you hear anything back...I'm interested, but not sure I want a tranny replaced.

pumpkinrancho 04-06-2013 07:53 AM

Mine does it first to second when ever i try the no lift shift. But not second to.third.

JFWJR179 04-06-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkinrancho (Post 6389506)
Mine does it first to second when ever i try the no lift shift. But not second to.third.

I have noticed a problem on the 1-2 shift during regular easy shifts
at low RPM's (under 1500 RPM)

This has occurred at least 25 times and the car only has 1000 easy miles
on it.

I'm gonna have the dearler adjust the shift linkage when I hit the
1500 mile break in period. :iono:

SlingShot 04-06-2013 09:08 AM

I use to have all these same problems on my SS, I had to teach myself not to try and force the gears. Go easy with the shifts, and they will go in like butter. These trans are notchy, but that's just the way they are.

ZL1Dave 04-06-2013 09:12 AM

I forget which one but one of the mags that did a review on the ZL-1 commented on a similar experience with trouble shifting vigoriously so apparently its not an isolated incident and something in there could use a bit of improvment. Hopefully the aftermarket will address it in the near future. Good luck with the new trans and on the track

tomster 04-06-2013 08:50 PM

I wont get my car back until this Thursday... And I am racing at Mid Ohio on sat and Sunday.. So i will def be-able to compare the new trans with the old. Maybe there is a batch of bad transmissions and their is hope for everyone with this problem :iono:

alex70olds 04-06-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFWJR179 (Post 6389635)
I have noticed a problem on the 1-2 shift during regular easy shifts
at low RPM's (under 1500 RPM)

This has occurred at least 25 times and the car only has 1000 easy miles
on it.

I'm gonna have the dearler adjust the shift linkage when I hit the
1500 mile break in period. :iono:

This is the only thing I have noticed. I believe it is when you sre close to the skip shift range. I just go up to about 2k RPM and it seems to eliminate this. I have never had any issues with 3rd.

tomster 04-06-2013 09:17 PM

does anyone know is their a proper way to use the no lift shift when drag racing? I mean i would just clutch at 6000-6200rpm grab the next gear with out lifting the gas and drop the clutch. Is this wrong?? i tried it in all the PTM settings. Seemed that traction control would interfear in the lower settings. I found it seemed to work best with all nannies turned off. But when trying to do this seemed to cause me to most missed gears. Long story short I was more consistent with out it. (no missed gears)