Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   IPF S/C PCV Fix (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338353)

MagnumForceGB 01-21-2014 06:29 PM

IPF S/C PCV Fix

2 Attachment(s)
After quite a bit of research I have come up with a solution to the IPF PCV system. Before my engine would constantly stall while coming to a stop, after 1 month with this custom setup I have not stalled once.

The IPF system combines both the dirty side (passenger side) and clean side (driver side) to a single can with an outlet to the inlet tune in front of the supercharger. This setup deletes the inlet to the intake manifold. During normal operation the suction of the supercharger would keep the crankcase under constant vacuum, but changes how the system was originally designed. The OEM setup when the intake manifold was under vacuum would draw air through the clean side through the crank case and then into the intake manifold. With the IPF system no air could enter through the intake manifold PCV hole so the engine would starve for air and stall during the right conditions. The IPF system also had over 8' of tubes going from the crankcase to the catch can then another 5' to the intake tube. The catch can was in front of the car so the hot air from the crankcase would cool down by the can, causing excessive amounts of water to collect in the can. This water would eventually get sucked up by the supercharger and cause problems.

With my custom setup I reset the system back to the way the OEM was. The Dirty side goes to a catch can, then goes to the intake manifold. The line going to the intake manifold has a check valve that will only allow air to go into the intake manifold, keeping boost out of the can and crankcase. The clean side I have routed straight to the intake tube in front of the supercharger. When the intake manifold is under vacuum air is routed through the clean side, through the crankcase and then to the intake manifold. During boost the supercharger creates a vacuum, keeping the crankcase under vacuum. I currently do not have a catch can on the clean side, but it is optional if you want to make sure no oil gets into the intake.

Another setup that is possible is getting the Elite Engineering can with 2 output check valves. The extra output line will go to the supercharger inlet, keeping the check valve to where air can not enter the can from the inlet. When the intake manifold is under vacuum it will draw air through the crankcase like normal, and not through the supercharger inlet if you had a free-flowing line. When the intake manifold is under boost the vacuum from the supercharger inlet will draw air through the crankcase. The only problem with this is you will have to put a breather on the clean side to allow fresh air to be drawn in. If there is extreme crankcase pressure that the dirty side can not expel fast enough it will go either through the breather or through the gaskets. Another option to fix that would be to add an extra line into the supercharger inlet. I think this would be the ideal solution though, it will allow maximum evacuation of the crankcase pressure.

Attached are 2 crude drawings I made with my Surface Pro 2. I'm going to make a quick drawing to show what the last paragraph was talking about.

MagnumForceGB 01-21-2014 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my terrible drawing of the best solution setup I could think of. I just don't know how you would put the extra tube on the intake tube after the MAF but before the supercharger. You might be able to T the dirty and clean side lines together right before the supercharger tube after the catch cans. But that would still put a bottleneck in the system.

Nutbutt 01-21-2014 08:08 PM

Get yourself a 1le or RX separator and put on the clean side and you will be fine. You can drill an elbow for the second dirty side vacuum. I have seen it on a few IPF setups already.
As soon as the weather breaks here I'll get a photo of this with an RX separator on the clean side.

MagnumForceGB 01-21-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutbutt (Post 7357167)
Get yourself a 1le or RX separator and put on the clean side and you will be fine. You can drill an elbow for the second dirty side vacuum. I have seen it on a few IPF setups already.
As soon as the weather breaks here I'll get a photo of this with an RX separator on the clean side.

Only thing I don't like about the 1LE separators is that anything it collects it puts back right into the crank case. If there was any water that would have gotten boiled off into the clean side (going down the track oil temps would get over 210) it will just collect in the separator and dump back into the crankcase.

I e-mailed IPF about this but I am not getting any e-mails back from them. Even when I want to order parts from them I get nothing back.

SIXJAK 01-21-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutbutt (Post 7357167)

What am I missing here guys? (Sorry when I see "RX" I throw up in my mouth) what issues are we having with the catchcans?

I took my plenum cover off this past Sat to have a look see at the inside of my IM and here is what I found:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/3ete8aqy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/ne3u2yza.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/5eqe4egy.jpg

That's not a lot. It certainly wasn't pooled up as was the case with my RX CC on my RX front mount SC kit.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/uvyzaber.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/22/a3equ8ym.jpg

I drain the fluid out every 2 weeks or so. I do wish the catchcan was in a more convenient location.

Are ppl having better success with the elite can?

HeritageLS 01-21-2014 08:43 PM

IPF S/C PCV Fix

Any links that anyone has offhand that can help me better understand the issues I should be concerned with the IPF SC system? I'm going to be putting it on when the water weather sets in but I want to educate myself and protect my car. Thanks

MagnumForceGB 01-21-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIXJAK (Post 7357233)
What am I missing here guys? (Sorry when I see "RX" I throw up in my mouth) what issues are we having with the catchcans?

I took my plenum cover off this past Sat to have a look see at the inside of my IM and here is what I found:

That's not a lot. It certainly wasn't pooled up as was the case with my RX CC on my RX front mount SC kit.

I drain the fluid out every 2 weeks or so. I do wish the catchcan was in a more convenient location.

Are ppl having better success with the elite can?

With my IPF can I had to dump my can every 4 days, it was filling up with water. My car was also stalling due to the deletion of the intake manifold PCV inlet. I tried multiple tunes and everything failed till I put the PCV system back to the way OEM was just with a check valve. The IPF can also was allowing oil into my intake, I would have oil streaks all over the tubes.

My elite can is working well.

HeritageLS 01-21-2014 08:51 PM

IPF S/C PCV Fix

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB (Post 7357310)
With my IPF can I had to dump my can every 4 days, it was filling up with water. My car was also stalling due to the deletion of the intake manifold PCV inlet. I tried multiple tunes and everything failed till I put the PCV system back to the way OEM was just with a check valve. The IPF can also was allowing oil into my intake, I would have oil streaks all over the tubes.

My elite can is working well.

So you have the elite can along with the ipf can?

MagnumForceGB 01-21-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeritageLS (Post 7357311)
So you're saying to pick up an elite can an add it to the system along with the ipf can?

I wouldn't use the IPF can at all. Its just an empty can with coiled wire mesh in it, its crap. They actually sell them on Ebay for $50.

HeritageLS 01-21-2014 09:03 PM

IPF S/C PCV Fix

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB (Post 7357327)
I wouldn't use the IPF can at all. Its just an empty can with coiled wire mesh in it, its crap. They actually sell them on Ebay for $50.

Dude! I thought I read that a while back. Messed up. Didn't realize it was true. Thanks for that

Elite's v2 catch can has a few more options. Did you look at any of the options to help with the issues you described above? I'm lacking the correct knowledge to really make a huge contribution but they have options for two exit ports and and a single or double exit check valve

Hopefully I'm not way off with this lol

**EDIT**
I will sit back and just learn
Maybe I'll get some sleep and return tomorrow. I read all of that too...smh

MagnumForceGB 01-21-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeritageLS (Post 7357355)
Dude! I thought I read that a while back. Messed up. Didn't realize it was true. Thanks for that

Elite's v2 catch can has a few more options. Did you look at any of the options to help with the issues you described above? I'm lacking the correct knowledge to really make a huge contribution but they have options for two exit ports and and a single or double exit check valve

Hopefully I'm not way off with this lol

The first post here describes an Elite v2 can with a single check valve.

sycraft 01-21-2014 09:08 PM

look at the LS boosted valve cover adapter, it is a one way relief only, no unmetered air in. I am using their catch can and the oil breather. Great setup, I am still tweaking my set up as I run reverse, fresh in the passenger side and evac the drivers side. I am going to try the normal flow too, like posted here and see if there are any differences.

http://mightym0use.wix.com/mm-solutions#!lsx/cqtl

And by the way, I tried to contact IPF over a year ago with the pully and evac suggestions, but they fell on deaf ears.... Still a great product, just needs a few tweaks.

Black Knight 01-21-2014 09:49 PM

Great work magnum . This will solve my stalling issue. And know I understand where to run wht lines when I order my can thanks!

Black Knight 01-21-2014 10:12 PM

Hey magnum does the elite system come with a fitting to run of the intake manifold ? Not sure if I still have mine