Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   important information (from the GM release) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8006)

littlecammi 10-11-2008 09:31 PM

important information (from the GM release)

1) "If sold orders are not submitted during this early ordering period, is there a risk the production guide (number allocated to the dealer) will be lost?

No. The production guide is not dependent upon the number of sold orders submitted. In fact, dealers can opt not to submit any customers’ orders during this period, and submit stock orders during the traditional order submission periods."

WHAT THIS MEANS: If a dealer would rather order Camaros for stock and then hold them in his showroom for ransom to the highest bidder once production starts, the dealer cannot submit the orders on October 13th. But the dealer will have other opportunities before production starts to place orders for dealer stock, up to the number allocated to the dealer. Dealers looking to price gouge over sticker like this option, since it will get them unsold Camaros in their showroom when other dealers don't have any. This allows them to charge thousands over sticker to people with money who didn't pre-order but "want it now".

2) "If bona fide sold customer orders are submitted in excess of the production guide number, will additional shipments be provided to cover these orders?

No. The goal of the production guide was to provide a preview of expected estimated shipments. The option of submitting orders in excess of the assigned production guide number is solely that of the dealer. Future allocation will be based on a fair and equitable equation, not on the number of sold orders submitted to GM."

WHAT THIS MEANS: Each dealer is only going to be able to order the number of Camaros allocated to his dealership. If a dealer takes more deposits than his number of allocations, GM will not honor any of the excess orders until that dealer receives additional allocations. Furthermore, GM will not take into account how many excess orders a dealer has when they release future additional allocations. If a dealer only has 4 allocated to start (intended to cover through the 3rd quarter of 2009) and takes 20 deposits, GM will ignore his 16 excess orders when computing the next allocations (for the balance of 2009) and may only allocate another 4 to that dealer, leaving the dealer with 12 customers waiting for Camaros the dealer can't even order from GM during the entire calendar year of 2009.

Scooter 10-12-2008 05:46 AM

If you do not order your Camaro in the first allocation, will you still be able to order a custom one in 3rd quarter???

BBfan24 10-12-2008 07:35 AM

why would a dealer take more orders than what they would be allocated? doesn't that hurt the dealership in the end?

CamaroScotty 10-12-2008 08:28 AM

I don't entirely agree with this thread.

The early number for pre-orders isn't guarantee'd at all, regardless what you order.

The pre-order does not protect you from price gouging - your sales contract does, if you have "to be sold at MSRP" written in comments or other terms of sale -

And further allocation in the next few months will allow more orders, whether its for the showroom, or for a sold order. You'll be able to place an order pretty much at any time from this point on. But it won't guarantee you a car until they get distribution all figured out.

littlecammi 10-12-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty (Post 153647)
I don't entirely agree with this thread.

The early number for pre-orders isn't guarantee'd at all, regardless what you order.

The pre-order does not protect you from price gouging - your sales contract does, if you have "to be sold at MSRP" written in comments or other terms of sale.

And further allocation in the next few months will allow more orders, whether its for the showroom, or for a sold order. You'll be able to place an order pretty much at any time from this point on. But it won't guarantee you a car until they get distribution figured out.

The points made in this thread are absolutely valid. You are only bringing up related issues not central to the two points in the thread.

I agree totally that the initial allocated quantities are not guaranteed. This was stated in the GM release, but separately from the two points I clarified. But even this just means that GM is alerting people that dealers may get FEWER cars than their allotment number due to uncertainties about how production will go.

I agree totally that pre-orders aren't necessarily at MSRP. Anyone's price is what they manage to negotiate with their dealer, and they better get it in writing if they want to avoid a very unpleasant surprise in the future. But this is not central to part of either point made in my original thread.

And I agree that there will be further allocations made to dealers for unsold (stock) orders and bona fide sold (customer) orders. In fact, I mentioned this in my original post. However, the initial allocation numbers (which may not be met if unforeseen problems limit production) are intended to cover through the third quarter of 2009. Additional allocations will carry on from there, although possible constraints that develop could delay production of cars in the first allocation and result in cars from a later allocation (which do not require the constraint item) being built before them.

littlecammi 10-12-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter (Post 153616)
If you do not order your Camaro in the first allocation, will you still be able to order a custom one in 3rd quarter?

Absolutely. Dealers can submit additional sold customer orders (or orders for their stock) whenever they receive additional allocation quantities. And they should be notified of the additional allocations in advance (like they were of the initial allocations).

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBfan24 (Post 153637)
Why would a dealer take more orders than what they would be allocated? Doesn't that hurt the dealership in the end?

Many dealers have been making lists of interested customers and some have been taking (hopefully refundable) deposits. Now that the dealers have been notified of their initial allocations, some find themselves with more people on their lists than their allocation quantity. Many honest dealers were surprised by low allocation quantities that they did not expect.