Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Changing Rear Differential Fluid (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161654)

Forza 07-28-2011 07:40 PM

Changing Rear Differential Fluid

9 Attachment(s)
I'm at 9,300 KM or 5,800 Miles and after changing my oil a few months back, I thought I would go ahead and change the rear differential fluid.

First off the fluid smells horrible, OMFG. I gagged so much, maybe my nose is sensitive, but this fluid, both old & new smell so bad.

I'm attaching some pictures for you all to see how simple it really is to change this fluid.

1. Put the rear tires up on jacks.
2. Loosen the top & bottom bolts with a socket wrench but leave the bolts in.
3. Use your fingers to remove the top/fill bolt.
4. Use your fingers to remove the bottom/empty bolt. Into a catch can of course.
5. Drain until empty.
6. Clean the bolts with a rag.
7. Tighten the bottom bolt back into place
8. I maneuvered the bottle of AC Delco 75W 90 and squeezed until the plastic bottle was empty.
9. Tighten the top bolt.
10. Clean your hands cause they smell like a$$.

Pretty simple process, about 30mins total and now I feel more proud of my car cause I did it myself & I saved a few dollars.

jtzako 07-28-2011 08:17 PM

Good write up.. Make sure you go do some figure-8 in a parking lot to work it in. Also, keep an ear out for noises. You may need to add friction modifier.

Also, use gloves, it isnt healthy to let that fluid get on your skin.

The Stig 07-28-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtzako (Post 3536380)

+1

great write up though

Forza 07-28-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtzako (Post 3536380)
Good write up.. Make sure you go do some figure-8 in a parking lot to work it in. Also, keep an ear out for noises. You may need to add friction modifier.

What kind of noises? What would make noises?

Should I be concerned about my green skin right now?

Scott@Bjorn3D 07-28-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forza (Post 3536417)
What kind of noises? What would make noises?

Should I be concerned about my green skin right now?

When you skin starts to glow in the dark and your fingers fall off it might be to late to worry.:facepalm:

Synner 07-28-2011 08:54 PM

The clutch plates can stick and make noise. If it does then you need to add limited slip friction modifier. The bottle will say if it includes friction modifier on it. If not then you need to add it.

Forza 07-28-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synner (Post 3536569)
The clutch plates can stick and make noise. If it does then you need to add limited slip friction modifier. The bottle will say if it includes friction modifier on it. If not then you need to add it.

Even for Automatic V6's?

Nomad 07-29-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forza (Post 3536612)
Even for Automatic V6's?

Nope. I don't think you have a limited slip differential. They are talking about issues with the LS on the SS.

BTW, excellent write up.:thumbsup:

Moriartii 07-29-2011 09:03 AM

Additionally you may want to take the vehicle out and do a few low speed figure eights, first one direction and then the other to distribute the fluid up the half shafts.

Cheers
K

Forza 07-29-2011 09:08 AM

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you liked the write up. :)

I'll take the car out again this morning around the block a few times to get the fluid moving inside around the gears (or whatever is in there).

Jimbabwe 07-29-2011 10:26 AM

Is it recommended to do this when the car is hot? Or is cold ok

Moriartii 07-29-2011 10:44 AM

I would do this when the car is cold as you are working near the exhaust. :)
Cheers
K

Forza 07-29-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moriartii (Post 3538569)
I would do this when the car is cold as you are working near the exhaust. :)
Cheers
K

Yea what Moriartii said, definitely when the car is cold.

While under my car I did find myself rubbing my forearms against the exhaust & other metal parts. You would burn your skin for sure.

The Stig 07-29-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpizzle007 (Post 3539804)
you should be able to do it without jacking up the car. Its also best to have it level when you add it back in.

If you back it to the lip of your garage, the extra inch helps a lot and there is no need to jack it up.

Yep. That's how I did it.