Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   transmission skipping/lurching (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27274)

armando416 06-13-2009 02:44 PM

transmission skipping/lurching

Let me preface this post by saying I ordered a 2SS manual, but haven't driven stick in many years. Maybe this is normal manual-tranny behavior and I just forgot...

Anyways, when I am driving at relatively low speeds (25mph or less), especially in first and second gear, the car seems to have a noticable 'lurching' type feeling while moving. It feels like it would if I was lightly tapping on the brakes in my AT Grand Prix, although much less pronounced. I don't think anyone riding in my car has noticed it, maybe it is something you would only notice as the driver since it is fairly subtle (although I have no plans to let anyone else drive my car to find out!). So is this normal? Or if there is something wrong, anyone have any guesses? Maybe I am blowing it out of proportion since it is a brand-new car (and my first one ever, at that) and I just expect everything to be perfect.

Vash 06-13-2009 02:51 PM

Are you totally letting off the clutch when in gear? Make sure the pedal comes all the way out. In addition it's somewhat normal for the clutch to act up a bit during break-in. It has to seat like a giant brake pad. That's why I advise folks not to burn out or dog it till after first oil service as scheduled. If it's doing that afterwards then let a service tech go with you for a test drive.

shadowed_Stranger 06-13-2009 03:07 PM

I would have to say the same thing as vash, just make sure you have your foor completely off of the clutch (as in, dead pedal). I was teaching my little brother how to ride a dirtbike yesterday, and it did the same exact thing, and we could not figure it out. I told him to make absolutely sure he is not touching the clutch at all, and it stopped happening.

DEW 06-13-2009 06:23 PM

Sounds like your lugging the motor. In other words, the RPM is too low for the gear your in. This is not good for a new motor!

Kenny 06-13-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEW (Post 581993)
Sounds like your lugging the motor. In other words, the RPM is too low for the gear your in. This is not good for a new motor!

This is what i was thinking. What RPM are you at when it happens?

daniel@txangl.com 06-13-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armando416 (Post 581550)
Let me preface this post by saying I ordered a 2SS manual, but haven't driven stick in many years. Maybe this is normal manual-tranny behavior and I just forgot...

Anyways, when I am driving at relatively low speeds (25mph or less), especially in first and second gear, the car seems to have a noticable 'lurching' type feeling while moving. It feels like it would if I was lightly tapping on the brakes in my AT Grand Prix, although much less pronounced. I don't think anyone riding in my car has noticed it, maybe it is something you would only notice as the driver since it is fairly subtle (although I have no plans to let anyone else drive my car to find out!). So is this normal? Or if there is something wrong, anyone have any guesses? Maybe I am blowing it out of proportion since it is a brand-new car (and my first one ever, at that) and I just expect everything to be perfect.

I have noticed the EXACT SAME THING. I am not sure it is a problem, but it seems that the car really wants to run above 1500RPM while driving around at low speeds. I think it is because of the tall gears (3.42's) in the rear and we may have the engine under RPM'd at that speed. However, I have noticed this in 1st as well. I do not know if this is a problem or considred normal for this car. The A6 folks probably do not have this issue. I would be curious to know what GM says about this.