Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Need new battery (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491448)

nyrfan 04-15-2017 06:33 AM

Need new battery

What's everyone using these days for a replacement battery? OEM/other? Mine is about five years old and seems very weak. Very hard start this morning and got a Christmas tree on the dashboard. Would this be normal to get the Christmas tree dash with a weak battery?

snarky 04-15-2017 07:20 AM

meh they are all the same. get the correct size and a fair warranty.

Avenging Orange 04-15-2017 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snarky (Post 9674050)
meh they are all the same. get the correct size and a fair warranty.

Agreed. Most common/popular brands will do the job.

myold88 04-15-2017 07:56 AM

I put a Interstate battery in my '10 SS. Vented, perfect fit and great warranty.

nyrfan 04-15-2017 08:02 AM

Thanks guys. Does it make sense that I got the Christmas tree dashboard?

Reaper85 04-15-2017 08:36 AM

I always go agm. Maintenance free completely sealed non venting. But that's personal preference as I always put stereos in my cars, and agm's are the best when it comes to deep cycling and quicker discharging.

AG454 04-15-2017 08:40 AM

My original battery is still going strong at almost 8 years old. However I know I am on borrowed time and I just bought a AC Delco 94 AGM to replace it. If you are having a hard time starting your car, that's the first sign of a weakening battery.

nyrfan 04-15-2017 10:28 AM

Batteries don't tend to last that long here in the Florida heat.

Olddudesrule 04-15-2017 10:37 AM

Yes, it may be the cause of the "christmas tree" on your dash. I've owned several modern muscle cars, and they all tend to act strangely when the battery voltage gets lower than normal. I've heard and experienced symptoms that you normally wouldn't consider voltage related, turn out to be directly related to voltage drops of only a few tenths (battery resting voltage still showing 12.1-12.3). Many don't realize that is an exponential drop as far as starting power goes, and the modern electronics on these cars do not handle that well. If you're in doubt, take the battery out and have it load tested at a local autoparts store. At the very least, test your resting voltage after the battery has set overnight using a voltmeter. If it's not showing at least 12.5 or better, I would have it load tested.

As far as what battery to choose, I haven't had to change mine out yet, but the OEM seems to generally hold up very well, owners getting 4-7 years out of them fairly regularly. I live in a climate that eats batteries, so I always keep mine on a Battery Tender since it's not a DD.

Welker2 04-15-2017 10:49 AM

As other's have said, most name brands are about the same. Around here, I get batteries for all my vehicles from AutoZone, with the military discount, they are the cheapest and I've never had a problem. :happy0180:

CamaroFred 04-15-2017 11:26 AM

Delco or NAPA.

Don't fight with the Wa-Mart crap.

Lil' Nasty 04-15-2017 01:49 PM

After getting a Costco membership, I saw they have interstate batteries fairly priced. That's what I would get. Aside from interstate, I have a duralast gold battery in my Acura. Been almost 3 years no problems.

Deftones 04-15-2017 01:52 PM

I recently bought a AC delco AGM from the dealer a la carte so it had some warranty to it. Few bucks cheaper on Amazon but no warranty there really. I have a sub and amp otherwise I might have tried a braille battery.

Cyber/Orange10 04-15-2017 10:57 PM

just replaced my 7 yr old battery before I get trouble with Farm and Fleet 7 yr battery for 99 bucks before tax, as good as any and when not driving it for a week or so use a battery tender keeps them for sulfating and dieing.