Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Amp/sub problem (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252668)

Forte 09-27-2012 10:30 PM

Amp/sub problem

Hey all,

I got my hifonics Brutus 1200 mono amp and two pioneer champion series subs installed about two weeks ago and it has been amazing

Yesterday night while driving home from work I noticed the subs weren't working. I checked and the amp wasn't in protect mode and it was receiving power. I checked connections and all seemed fine. I taped a fuss and suddenly it worked again.

This morning it again wasn't working but amp was again under power but no sound. Got to work and messed with connections. Touched left input cable and it kicked on again. Leaving work it again wasn't on but couldn't get them to pop back on.

Any idea what in the world could be happening? Oh, normally when I shut car off a couple seconds later there's a small thud from subs and amp light kicks off but now no thud just light kickin off of amp..

mgoodbar 09-28-2012 07:20 AM

sounds like ya need to go through all the connection and tighten everything up, did you have someone install all of it?? If so i would take it back to them. the fuse thing is kinds scary though, that sounds like a broke solder/weld on the circut board maybe???

If you have a ohm meeter check your speakers to to make sure they are ok...

vtxretro02 09-28-2012 08:57 AM

Check you battery voltage with a multimeter and all connections on your battery. A bad or loose ground on your battery or amp grounding will manifest many odd. Issues that truly may not be the cause.

2010SLVRBULIT 09-28-2012 09:02 AM

appears your bass is knocking connections loose.. and the power off 'thud' from the amp can be resolved by connecting a relay.

metthem 09-28-2012 09:07 AM

or a bad rca plug

ecko04 09-28-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metthem (Post 5631159)
or a bad rca plug

I concur. Sounds more like a faulty set of RCAs than anything else.

Forte 09-28-2012 01:13 PM

Awesome thanks for the advice! I will check out the RCA cable first.

I wasn't worried about the thud when i turn it off, but i noticed that ever since the subs haven't been working the thud doesn't happen anymore at all which tells me signal isn't getting to the subs but that the amp is receiving power.

I'll update when i check that out after work!

Forte 09-28-2012 09:54 PM

The installer tried different subs and different RCA inputs, didn't work. Said the amp was faulty :(

mgoodbar 09-29-2012 05:17 AM

KEEP THE AMP KEEP THE AMP. RCA jacks need soldered back in pice of cake. .... I bet there is a fine line crack on the input jacks were they connect to the board.....

Forte 09-29-2012 02:07 PM

Um... What? Lol I'm a n00b to this stuff

DangerZL1 09-29-2012 02:34 PM

He's saying the amp can easily be repaired rather than purchase a new one. Isn't it under warranty or has it already been replaced?

Forte 09-29-2012 02:50 PM

It's under a year warranty I think. The amazon 30 day return policy just passed sadly. Hm... Never done any soldering how hard does this sound like it will be?

ecko04 10-02-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forte (Post 5635402)
It's under a year warranty I think. The amazon 30 day return policy just passed sadly. Hm... Never done any soldering how hard does this sound like it will be?

Did you buy it from Amazon or was it a seller on Amazon? In either case try contacting them and letting them know your amp is defective...maybe they'll help you out. Most manufacturer warranties will be void if you purchase from an unauthorized dealer... Amazon sellers are almost always unauthorized. However, many offer their own in-house warranties. It's worth a shot.