Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hot starting issues (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399658)

Mb6000 03-12-2015 09:04 PM

Hot starting issues

Has anyone figured out why our cars don't start or start hard when hot. Car will start fine when cold. Tried searching and never found out what the issue really is. Anyone have the answer. Heard to replace the battery, starter, or crank sensor.

revived 03-12-2015 11:41 PM

explain... the worst I have encountered and isnt often is I shut the car off after a drive and immediattly turned it and the car took longer to fire up. (Starter spun a lot longer). Again doesn't happen that often to me so im just asking what your situation has been like?

Jsafe17 03-12-2015 11:44 PM

Hmmmm.. not mine, sry not much help.. 2" header to close to starter or?

PalmerGA 03-13-2015 06:00 AM

Have not had any hard starting issues.

Mb6000 03-13-2015 08:04 AM

After driving the car and go to start it again, the car won't start up always on the first try. It will just crank. The second time I try, it fires right up. I've read it could be the starter is heat soaked. If i let the car cool down a while, it will start fine. There is a bunch of posts about this, but never found the correct fix.

BubbaSS 03-13-2015 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mb6000 (Post 8291648)
After driving the car and go to start it again, the car won't start up always on the first try. It will just crank. The second time I try, it fires right up. I've read it could be the starter is heat soaked. If i let the car cool down a while, it will start fine. There is a bunch of posts about this, but never found the correct fix.

The AC Delco starter gets heat soaked with headers. I've replaced it and even added heat shield, but after a while it has the issue again. Might want to look into other brands if you replace. I definitely will.

Russell James 03-13-2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mb6000 (Post 8291068)
Has anyone figured out why our cars don't start or start hard when hot. Car will start fine when cold. Tried searching and never found out what the issue really is. Anyone have the answer. Heard to replace the battery, starter, or crank sensor.

If your modded like that... you need a modded starter.

Call Powermaster and talk to their tech dept. They have top notch stuff and will steer you to the right one.

You're also fighting the drop off from the really long battery cables. Makes the need for a really good battery and starter that much more.

I went through all kinds of different starters on my BBC drag car. When I finally went to a Powermaster Ultra... all problems stopped. Doesn't even need a heat shield. There are a few other top quality brands too.

If you have access to your tune also, make sure the cranking timing isn't too advanced.

hazy 03-13-2015 08:50 AM

yep. I get this problem. Struggles to start, then when it does fire up, throws the TC/ST lights, tach doesn't work, and get the 'Service Stabilitrac' warning.

I've looked everywhere, and decided that it's the starter getting too hot. I am considering having my headers ceramic coated, but in order to avoid the down time for that, I'm going to get either a new hood, or some hex vents to [hopefully] reduce engine bay temps.

If that doesn't help (and I'll know sometime this summer, bc it gets pretty warm here) I'll figure out the best starter for a replacement.

BubbaSS 03-13-2015 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell James (Post 8291746)
If your modded like that... you need a modded starter.

Call Powermaster and talk to their tech dept. They have top notch stuff and will steer you to the right one.

You're also fighting the drop off from the really long battery cables. Makes the need for a really good battery and starter that much more.

I went through all kinds of different starters on my BBC drag car. When I finally went to a Powermaster Ultra... all problems stopped. Doesn't even need a heat shield. There are a few other top quality brands too.

If you have access to your tune also, make sure the cranking timing isn't too advanced.

Great info! I'm gonna look those up now

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazy (Post 8291747)
yep. I get this problem. Struggles to start, then when it does fire up, throws the TC/ST lights, tach doesn't work, and get the 'Service Stabilitrac' warning.

I've looked everywhere, and decided that it's the starter getting too hot. I am considering having my headers ceramic coated, but in order to avoid the down time for that, I'm going to get either a new hood, or some hex vents to [hopefully] reduce engine bay temps.

If that doesn't help (and I'll know sometime this summer, bc it gets pretty warm here) I'll figure out the best starter for a replacement.

My headers are ceramic coated, but your issue is a bit different, because I don't receive the warnings

pyroguy 03-13-2015 10:09 AM

Subscribed!

Mine has shorty headers and is a L99, would the same issue be true for mine? When I'm running and the vehicle gets hot this happens. However, mine also idles rough after warning up especially in warm weather. Is this related?

Mb6000 03-13-2015 10:20 AM

Just called powermaster and asked which starter for my car. He said the 9509xs. Found them on eBay for $206 and free shipping. Going to order one right now. The guy said the solenoid is encapsuled so there shouldn't be any heat soak issues. Will update after I install it and see if that takes care of the problem. Thanx Russel James.

spadz93 03-13-2015 11:06 AM

subscribed...

MightymouseSS 03-13-2015 05:47 PM

Might wanna check your cam position sensor too. Mine was hard to start on occasion and found the cam sensor harness rubbing against the block and shorting out my sensor intermittently.

MS7 03-14-2015 12:08 PM

i was facing same issue,,, fix it be new starter

starter or battery or injector leak