Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   NO GARAGE!!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146516)

SlingShot 05-11-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertHarriSS (Post 3205080)
My car is outside all the time too. Just wash it often and get a good product to protect your paint. Wax, sealant, polish whatever route you decide to go. Your car will do fine out in the elements if you take the right steps to protect your paint.

I do the same with both of mine, they both sit out 24/7 ...

PIPE 05-11-2011 07:11 AM

My car sits outside in my driveway . I cover it with a Covercraft NOAH car cover . I bought from autoanything for around 230.00 . Its a perfect fit. I recommend the locking cord that goes underneath the car locking the cover from each side . I have owned these covers for numerous vehicles and love them. As long as you keep them clean there isnt a problem at all. Always make sure you keep the inside off the ground when removing . I always fold the inside in and roll it up and store in the optional bag which I recommend also. Im also buying a portable carport from CAROLINA CARPORTS . A 12x21 is around 695. A 18x21 is 795. All steel construction with a painted galvanized roof. That way it provides a shaded area to wash my baby.

h2oplay 05-11-2011 07:32 AM

keep it waxed, but constantly using a cover will beat the crap out of your paint, I wouldn't bother personally.

angie7 05-11-2011 07:37 AM

I live in an apt complex and mine is outside too. I wash mine at least weekly and use a california duster on it almost daily. I park next to a curb that is next to a tree for some shade. I dont want to use a cover b/c that is an advertistment to thieves and the worry about scratching the paint. The reason I say an advertisment is b/c my b/f is a LEO here and just about every car in our apt complex with a car cover, has been broken into.

TOMS1SS 05-11-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeb22 (Post 3204823)
Hey guys! Was just wondering if there was any good advice out there to protect my car...I don't have a garage, ordered my 2SS May 1st and am expecting it to be delivered sometime next month. I've talked to several buddies about it and some of the recommendations I'm getting is to get a car cover (I hear they scratch paint :() or to get a clear "car bra." I've looked into these "car bra's" and they seem like the best option overall, but cost an arm and a leg. Any other good recommendations out there? I'm stationed in Cheyenne, so you can imagine all the dust and what-not that could possibly hurt my vehicle :(.

A car cover isn't something you can put on a car that you drive every day. The scratches are caused by putting the cover on a dusty of dirty car. The dust gets rubbed into the clear and causes clear coat scratches. This isn't something that can't be buffed out, but still.... Also you can't put a car cover on when winds are higher than 15 MPH or it will just get kicked off partially probably causing scratches in the process.

Probably your best bet as on any car to maintain it is to just be through on detailing the exterior. I'm not talking just waxing because that will seal in debris. First you need to apply a clay bar to take crap like tree sap and road tar out of the clear coat. After than you buff to take out any clear coat scratches, then apply polish. After you complete these steps then wax the car. Do you details every 2 to 3 months and should be fine.

Personally I'm not a big believer in clear bras because out her in Phoenix they yellow out within a year from what I've observed. Besides how are you supposed to detail areas that the are under a clear bra? I get most of my chips along the decklid for some reason. The best solution for that is to use a small dab of touch up paint off a toothpick.

The hardest thing to accept about having a cool car is that the appear will never be 100% perfect as new. You have to accept the fact that the chips and scratches will happen and you have to know how to respond. There is no reason at all that any car's exterior won't last outside if proper car is maintained but it will never to be 100% factory new.

Mark A Collier Sr 05-11-2011 07:55 AM

You can go to any metal building suppy store and thay have covered shelters that even come with sides. My friend got one for his Corvette and loves it. They start about $400ish My Camaro sleeps in the garage WITH a car cover.

Bonanza7 05-11-2011 08:27 AM

car cover from covercraft. Use a cable lock.

1BADLS3 05-11-2011 12:38 PM

A car's biggest enemies when sitting outside are sun, hail, and "fallout" - the bigger of the elements which consist of bird poop, and tree sap.

A car cover will become a hassle if your car is a daily driver, as mentioned. You can't wash it every time the cover goes on, and I'm sure there are days when you get home after work and it's like, "really? I have to put that damn thing on the car again?"

My recommendation is, if you have a piece of property, to put up a car port. That way, you can park it under there and avoid the sun bake as well as the bird crap, tree sap, and some of the settling dust. If you get a lot of wind, you'll do good by staking down the poles, or letting them set in 5 gallon buckets of cement.

I also don't personally believe in clear bras. The sun eats them. They become dull, bug guts stain them, rocks chip them, and between the cost of application and removal, you're better off just having the front of your car lightly worked and resprayed in 10 years.

Angelsilhouette 05-11-2011 02:23 PM

There's always this: http://www.sheltersofamerica.com/pro...uctid=760&id=1

It's a nifty... sort of thing. Though one of the most inconvenient downsides to it is that you have to unzip it, drive off of it, then roll/fold it up and stow it (and vice versa when you get back (unroll/fold it, lay it out where you want to park then drive onto it to zip it.) I suppose it wouldn't be too bad for long term parking if you're going on holiday or if you wanted a smidge of hurricane protection and don't evac or have a garage (or friend with a garage).

5GenCamaroSS 05-11-2011 02:59 PM

I too have no garage. I did find out sadly the hard way, that even if you clean and then put the car cover on, you still risk the chance of scraps. I now no longer use a cover and just wash it every other day and do a good wax on it twice a month.

And a side note, I bought the silver with black strips chevy car cover if anyone wants it. Bought it for $310 selling for $250 plus shipping..PM me if interested.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...5-11145429.jpg

Angelsilhouette 05-11-2011 03:31 PM

My car cover has yet to scratch my car, but it does leave awful water spots every time I use it. I make sure the car is clean and dry before putting it on, but in the morning when I fold it off of the car, it's as if someone hosed down the car. I have to guess it's just the high humidity of FL that gets trapped under the cover and then condensing in the cool of the early morning hours. I'm probably going to stop using it over night most nights (except the night before the landscaping crew does the neighbourhood. I came out the morning they were out there and there was debris all over my car cover. They were nice enough to come blow the debris off of my cover before I folded it off of the car, though. :) ).

bradshaw 05-11-2011 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I spent right at $300 on this, all fence materials, has held up for a year now, tarp is rated for 7 years.

presholt33 05-11-2011 03:59 PM

noah car cover plus i park in a 12x20 rhino portable garage

Justification 05-11-2011 04:11 PM

Move to a place with a garage.