Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SMS Camaro to be produced (by Steve Saleen) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11393)

Sizzox 01-07-2009 12:00 PM

SMS Camaro to be produced (by Steve Saleen)

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/07/s...tack-for-2009/

Steve Saleen is bringing back the musclecar wars with the help of the Detroit 3. Not content to modify Ford Mustangs alone, the former head of Saleen, Inc. is branching out into bowtie and Mopar territory as well. His new company, SMS Limited, will take on all three of the new retro rods this year. Under his former eponymous company's banner he had focused primarily on Ford vehicles, but now that Dodge and Chevrolet are getting back into the musclecar game, he figures it's time to expand his reach.

We've already profiled the SMS Limited Signature Series Dodge Challenger that Saleen has developed, and talked to Steve about what he had planned for the 2010 Mustang, but now we have a few more details about the SMS versions of the Ford Mustang and Chevy Camaro. For 2009, SMS Limited will not only build the SMS 570 and 570X Challengers, but also the SMS 460 Mustang and later in the year a line of SMS Camaros in their 150,000-square-foot facility in Anaheim, California.

All of the cars will get SMS superchargers, tweaked suspensions, and unique exterior styling elements, and the superchargers are more efficient and provide better cooling than anything they've used before. The company is also putting a new emphasis on upscale interiors, with better materials that should justify the cars' higher sticker prices. SMS Challenger production should begin this month, with 2010 Mustangs starting to show up in the spring. And if all goes according to plan, Camaros should start rolling out by the end of the year. Customers wanting a bit of Saleen magic applied to their musclecars will be able to order them through select Dodge, Ford or Chevrolet dealerships.

Info About SMS Challenger

Steve Saleen's fledgling new company, SMS Supercars, is getting ready to officially debut its first production car and has released a few more photos and information regarding the 570 and 570X Challenger. According to the new press release, the two models are targeted to start at $60,000 and $70,000, respectively. Yes, that's quite a chunk of change, but SMS is making it worthwhile with an extensive list of upgrades. Starting with the powertrain, the SMS 296 supercharger pushes massive amounts of air to the 5.7L HEMI, and true enthusiasts will be glad to know that a proper 6-speed manual transmission will be doing the shifting. Both models also get a high performance suspension, exhaust, 20-inch wheels, and 14-inch front and 12-inch rear brakes. For the exterior, SMS replaces the front and rear bumpers, side skirts, and hood, and adds a rear spoiler. The 570X model also receives carbon fiber front and rear splitters, a carbon fiber diffuser, and a rear wing that replaces the spoiler. The interior receives upgrades as well, including two-tone leather sport seats, leather door inserts, a leather grip shifter, 200-mph gauge cluster, and auxiliary gauges for the supercharger. Each vehicle will also be personally signed by Steve Saleen. Follow the jump for the press release and check out the gallery below.

z28camaross 01-07-2009 12:05 PM

wonder how much this is gonna cost

Moose 01-07-2009 12:07 PM

No thank you.

If and when I buy a 5th Gen., and choose to have a "special model", I'll look to Tom Henry, SLP, etc., :thumbsup:

Saleen isn't even on my radar. :thumbdown:

Mr. Wyndham 01-07-2009 12:08 PM

ohhhh.....damn. :help:

JMAN311 01-07-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28camaross (Post 237163)
wonder how much this is gonna cost

More than it's worth, just like Saleen Mustangs....overpriced for what you get.

linkwpc 01-07-2009 12:11 PM

I really want to see what the body kit will look like. If I like it, I will buy the body kit! But I'm sure its not cheap.......

GTAHVIT 01-07-2009 12:11 PM

Pukeeen won't a dime from me.

I'm with Moose, Tom Henry FTW!!!

2sharp 01-07-2009 12:14 PM

Come on.....this is AWESOME !!! I can't wait to see what a Camaro with an additional 150 pounds of gaudy plastic, 15 air scoops, middle exhaust pipes, and "performance enhancements" that cost $10,000 grand or so and make your car actually slower look like. :barf: Only the wheels "may" be nice...................

Sizzox 01-07-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtahvit (Post 237176)
Pukeeen won't a dime from me.

I'm with Moose, Tom Henry FTW!!!

Agreed or Lingenfelter. Ill be watching what he does with this.

56chevywagon 01-07-2009 12:25 PM

I agree, I'd prefer Lingenfelter or Callaway before Saleen... Interesting though...

Mr Twisty 01-07-2009 12:27 PM

Screw Saleen and the rustang he rode in on

Here's his take on the Camaro...

zebra 01-07-2009 12:44 PM

^^ i was just about to post that. he needs a good :flame::sm3::smm7:

stratman 01-07-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sharp (Post 237183)
Come on.....this is AWESOME !!! I can't wait to see what a Camaro with an additional 150 pounds of gaudy plastic, 15 air scoops, middle exhaust pipes, and "performance enhancements" that cost $10,000 grand or so and make your car actually slower look like. :barf: Only the wheels "may" be nice...................

:word:There is a chance this will not make the car look or run better. Judging by his Mustangs it will be an overpriced piece of eye candy. To quote 'Cannonball', "This things pure pu$$y".:laugh: Plus someone might have to refresh him on how an IRS works. I guess we will just have to wait and see like everything else with this beast.

thejbyrd 01-07-2009 01:25 PM

saleen wasn't the bad guy in transformers for no reason.