Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   baby/car seat question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32627)

kellertxgen5 07-15-2009 10:00 PM

baby/car seat question

I understand this is not a family car... that's why I bought my wife an SUV (Mitsubishi Endeavor). But I am curious if I will be able to take the baby anywhere in my car if I NEED TO.

I am assuming the car seat will fit with the front passenger seat leaned forward a bit if it's just me and the baby, but can anyone confirm this car can fit a front passenger and a car seat.

I'm pretty sure that I can fit a child seat once they go to the kind where they sit in a booster seat but that's like 2 years away. For now I have the big bulky car seat type thing and I am wondering if it will fit.

Also, I searched and since the thread searches for posts with the word car and seat in the same post it returned a BUNCH of stuff I couldn't use.

Thanks in advance.

coolman 07-15-2009 10:03 PM

Are you still at the rear facing stage of the came?

H & E 07-15-2009 10:04 PM

I've my wife and two kids in the car with me and everything fit fine. They were both forward facing, however.

TGSS 07-15-2009 10:28 PM

I don't think I am going to be able to get the car seats in the new Camaro. I have 5 month old triplet sons and a four year old. Looks like we are going to be drawing straws when they are older on who gets to ride to school with Dad and who gets to ride in the mini-van with Mom.

kellertxgen5 07-15-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NativeTexan (Post 685215)
There are instructions on how to put a car seat in the car in the owners manuel. Be sure the passenger air bag is off if the carseat is in the front seat.

I didn't think you could put a car seat in the front seat legally.

kellertxgen5 07-15-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolman (Post 685199)
Are you still at the rear facing stage of the came?

Yeah still rear facing. She's 2 weeks and 2 days old so we'll be in the rear facing stage for a while.

KJS 07-15-2009 10:35 PM

They should fit in the front, drivers and passengers side.

You and your wife can sit in the back and make zoom zoom sounds like you're driving...:yikes:

coolman 07-15-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellertxgen5 (Post 685317)
Yeah still rear facing. She's 2 weeks and 2 days old so we'll be in the rear facing stage for a while.

If you don't find the answer I'll look in my wifes tommorrow at the manual.
I know I had an 05 mustang gt and it fitt rear facing with the front seat up all the way.

ho, and it was a convertible

kellertxgen5 07-15-2009 10:38 PM

I'm pretty sure Ill just have to move the front seat all the way up or lean it forward a bit or both. Just want to make sure if I had to get me mama and baby around for some reason I still could. If anyone knows for sure please share.

coolman 07-15-2009 10:44 PM

I'll tell ya what you do. Take your car seat to the dealer and tell them you want to try it in one. I've done this before. I don't know how many dealers in your area have one on the lot but it's worth the shot.

rolnslo 07-16-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolman (Post 685359)
I'll tell ya what you do. Take your car seat to the dealer and tell them you want to try it in one. I've done this before. I don't know how many dealers in your area have one on the lot but it's worth the shot.

If you can't find a dealer with one you can test fit it in, post a message in the Texas regional forum. We have a lot of members in the DFW area and I'm sure someone would be willing to meet up with you so you can see if your baby's car seat will fit.

Both my kids are in booster seats so I can't check for you. Besides just being able to get the baby carrier into the back seat, you'll also need to look at how the base of it fits in the rear seat. My kids' booster seats are pretty small but fit very snuggly in between the side bolsters on the seats. I seem to remember the base of their rear-facing seats being a few inches wider and there is no way that is going to sit flush on the seat cushion.

scooter82 07-16-2009 11:53 AM

Every state has different laws about WHEN you can move them to the front (some are NEVER..which i agree with) as long as you are not lik 6'5" it should fit behind the pass side, i'm gonna have the same problem in a few more months but i'll have a booster seat and a car seat. The ONLY real problem will be from your back, putting that thing in and out of the back seat...lol but no it should fit fine...suggestion (unless you already have it) get the car seat that has a base that it locks into. MUCH easier for installation/removal

oldag92 07-16-2009 12:08 PM

I work in Southlake and live in Hurst. PM me if you want to use my car as a tester to see if your seat will fit. I'd be happy to bring it by.

jonny716 07-16-2009 12:33 PM

FYI, I keep my two year old son's car seat in the rear seat behind the passenger seat. That is his reserved spot when I take him out. He loves my Camaro and when I pull in the driveway coming home from work if he is playing in the backyard he runs up to the gate to try to get to my car. Having 4 kids it is pretty much impossible to take all 4 of them at once. As far as putting a car seat in front I wouldn't recommend it. Although the front seat has a sensor that disables the front passenger air bag. 90 lbs are more and the front passenger air bag seat is enabled.