Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So my day started out poorly... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532090)

Grendel123 06-21-2018 07:43 PM

So my day started out poorly...

Driving to work, stop and go traffic, come to a stop a safe distance from the vehicle in front of me and smack.
http://i.imgur.com/8ZVBIvP.jpg
Other car was a 98 Olds, front smashed in leaking all over. Guy admitted he looked down, then back up, and it was too late. :mad0260:

Spec 06-21-2018 07:49 PM

Ouch... but repairable. Make sure you check all pipes... even a soft hit could tweak your exhaust all the way up to your headers. The pipes bend easily, but still there's some force involved. Also, the rear suspension, gearbox etc.

Doesn't look like a relatively hard hit... or maybe it doesn't look so bad because of how these tanks can take a hit... Regardless, hope you're back on the road soon. Good on the guy for admitting fault even though it was obvious. Believe me, some will fight you to the bitter end.

Spec 06-21-2018 07:56 PM

Also to add... ya gotta be careful with these brembos. People don't expect these heavy cars to stop like they do. Not only do I give my self distance, but I give myself MORE distance when someone's tailgating. When traffic stops, you need to have plenty of room when someone's on your ass...

Not the case this time around looks like, but just a few more cents... drive the LA/IE freeways all the time, every day... in and out of traffic........ fun ride tho!

Grendel123 06-21-2018 08:08 PM

The exhaust was pushed up into the rear passenger tire so I’m not sure how much damage was done. We’ll see when the adjuster looks it over. His airbags deployed as well.

18LTLoveIt 06-21-2018 08:09 PM

At least trunk, tail lights & quarters are ok. New bumper cover and braces underneath will be replaced and then you're good to go.

BAD DAB 06-21-2018 08:13 PM

Damn! Hope they fix you up just like new.

Moto-Mojo 06-21-2018 08:51 PM

I damn near physically feel your pain. It’s a Camaro owner’s Ghost Pain. :frown:

Kajun 06-21-2018 08:52 PM

My Camaro got a good tap in the rear. Very minimal damage. Bumper cover and exhaust from the cats back. I got my body shop to give me the money for the exhaust and bought Borla cheaper than factory exhaust. I've had the bumper cover off since then and there is no damage to rear or bumper beam. These cars are built like tanks. Hopefully you'll come out with some upgrades.

Moto-Mojo 06-21-2018 08:55 PM

This ‘built like tanks’ notion has come up before. Even with the proverbial grain of salt, I think there’s something to their stout foundation.

witenite 06-21-2018 09:16 PM

Yeah definitely not a good way to start the day. Hope you are fixed up and back on the road again soon!

captaincog 06-21-2018 09:50 PM

Same thing happened to me two weeks ago. The driver behind was too busy arguing with the passenger to notice I had to stop at the intersection for the very fast, large, and loud fire truck so I was rear ended. ,,.then they take off and I followed them for a mile and a half and found them while talking to the CHP dispatcher.

What is worse is this was 2 weeks after getting the new engine in.....somedays.

All is good now. I just hate that I have been hit 3 times and the engine let go so I will drive this one a long time since the blue book value is essentially nil.

My body shop got mine fixed in 2 weeks so maybe 3 for yours. Just make sure they check the frame rails and entire body alignment and get that adjusted back to spec.

Welker2 06-21-2018 10:03 PM

Double ouch, glad no one was hurt. Had very similar damage when I was rear ended, took about 2 weeks to fix as good as new.

lbls1 06-22-2018 08:25 AM

Been there, done that. Word to the wise; You don't want to hit me in the back.

Good luck.

WoodBoss 06-22-2018 08:28 AM

Guy was probably texting !!