Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   HUD for the 2010 Camaro Owners????? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89604)

atlang3lo 06-15-2010 01:17 AM

HUD for the 2010 Camaro Owners?????

Can this be upgraded to the 2010 models and for how much?

The Stig 06-15-2010 08:45 AM

Yes it is do-able. How much I'm not exactly sure, but I can break down the parts you will need to install:
- HUD windshield to replace OEM
- New HUD dash to replace OEM
- HUD fancy laser projector thing
- What I can assume to be a whole lot of rewiring.

I figure it'd probably run you around like 4 or 5 grand after labor.

13lade 06-15-2010 10:43 AM

As many have said, the Corvette can be upgraded for around $350.... so it may not be as expensive as one might think. Until the MY '11s come out and the shop manuals/parts lists are upgraded, we wont know what it will costs.

Many of us are patiently waiting to find out :)

SummoneR 06-15-2010 11:34 AM

Yup I've heard a guy in here who makes kits for the Vette and it runs $375. I have been told the new windshield is a rumor. I am holding off on replacing mine until I know for sure.

Quick answer, we don't know for sure yet.

But being that it was originally planned or hoped for in the 2010, It may already have the mounting structure and wiring in the 2010's. The guy I heard say what he did about the Vette Kit makes harnesses to tap into the factory cable I think is what he said. So it's plug in play like ********s Amp T-Harness. Like 13lade we won't know for sure until someone gets the parts and tries it.

The 2010 Sin 06-15-2010 12:09 PM

The windshield is the same on my C6 weather you have heads up or not.

slick rick 06-15-2010 12:16 PM

Anyone willing to give it a shot?

SummoneR 06-15-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 2010 Sin (Post 1986264)
The windshield is the same on my C6 weather you have heads up or not.

Yeah that's what I hear so I don't know why the windshield for the Camaro would be different. Unless they just use the HUD windshield in all C6 Vettes for simplicity.

AH I just checked prior to submitng this.

The 2007-2010 GMC Acadia has two different windshields. One with HUD and one without. The one with is an extra $100. So perhaps we do need a replacement, in which case I am good to go with waiting for mine to be replaced.

linkwpc 06-15-2010 12:37 PM

Me what this HUD!

Iwantone2 06-15-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick rick (Post 1986290)
Anyone willing to give it a shot?

Go for it slick rick!! :sm0:

68RS 06-15-2010 04:11 PM

If it were under $400 that is totaly reasonable. I'll be watching to see how this goes.

Mr_Draco 06-15-2010 04:47 PM

How much it will cost and if it's even possible depends on several factors and has been covered in many other threads.

1) Is the '11 dashboard specially designed for HUD? If so what's the differences between the '10 and '11 dashboards? If there is a difference under the dash this will cost mucho $$$

2) Does the '10 have the harness needed for HUD? If not can the '11 harness be used in the '10? If so that's a lot of $$ and if not then HUD won't be possible.

3) Is the '10 BCM capable of communicating with HUD with a update? If not then HUD will not be possible.

You can not compare the cost to put in HUD in a Vette to the cost of the Camaro. The Vette comes from the factory with everything needed for HUD except the HUD module and all you have to do is buy that module. This most likely is not the case in the Camaro. Until those 3 main questions have been answered we will not know how much nor if it's even possible.

SummoneR 06-15-2010 05:31 PM

You are Correct Mr_Draco, and that's the hope we have, is that the 2010 was slated to have a HUD at one point then it was canceled. So if at least the early models are able to be integrated. That would be great for me. It's like the Ambient lighting plugs under the dash, the early models have them but they were later removed because the dash ABL was not going to be put into them after all. Much like the HUD it was pulled.

With regards to the dash, I can see how you would be able to cut a hole in the current one, buy a cover plate that matches the 2011 and cut an area out for the controls (which is next to the steering column in the blank area where people are placing Emblem Pros dash plaques) Or you just buy a new cover, which really shouldn't cost to terribly much. Most interior replacement parts are fairly inexpensive. The Unit it self, next to paying full price for the windshield is probably the most expensive portion of a retrofit. A harness can possibly be made to tap into the unit which could cost some coin for sure depending on who makes it.
And the BCM, a GM tech could tell us that. Whats the guys name who tells us about the PDIM updates? He might know.

All very good questions. I hope to find the answers to soon.

I tried to look up the price of a replacement 2010 dash and I couldn't not find it listed to do a similar comparison.

atlang3lo 06-16-2010 07:32 AM

under 400 is the price i'm hoping for.

skuttduck 06-16-2010 07:40 AM

I think the questions can be answered when someone gets a 2011 and is willing to pull it apart to see how the HUD is hooked up, and when the 2011 collision catalog gets released showing the parts.

Given how the 4 pack gauges work, you could probably just run the data wire that comes from the cluster, along with the power and ground and have your HUD working.