Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   THE Air Intake Thread (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266839)

Apex Motorsports 10-18-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoticus.rex (Post 7053168)
Sorry, I had the name slightly wrong, was pulling it from memory. It is actually MPD Z-Force Ram Air Hood. They say it is made to integrate with the CAI system and that there is actually a gasket you can get with it to seal the hood's air intake to the top of the CAI Inc. system. Here are a couple pictures from their site. You can see on the underside of the hood where it meets with the CAI Inc system. I was just curious how something like this would compare to a scoop in terms of performance.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/z...psbd102b8e.jpg

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps46436f23.jpg

That is a very cool set up. The only "con" to going that route versus a scoop is that the hood is heated by the engine underneath and the sun above so the air is passing through a very hot environment. On the other hand, the scoop is outside the engine bay and not exposed to the sun so there is no risk of it heating the air it is supplying. Is it that big of a deal? Probably not. I have a functional hood scoop on my Camaro.

Here is another take on the same concept. The owner cut the hood himself so that the vent sat over the top of the CAI Inc intake. He did a great job. Looked like something you would buy.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...03845918_n.jpg

Apex Motorsports 11-20-2013 08:44 AM

A little ZL1 CAI Inc intake goodness from the shop yesterday afternoon.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...66972174_n.jpg

Eric-MPD1.com 11-20-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

That is a very cool set up. The only "con" to going that route versus a scoop is that the hood is heated by the engine underneath and the sun above so the air is passing through a very hot environment. On the other hand, the scoop is outside the engine bay and not exposed to the sun so there is no risk of it heating the air it is supplying. Is it that big of a deal? Probably not. I have a functional hood scoop on my Camaro.
CAI's website says 15 rwhp for the SS cai and 18.3 with a race scoop. I would think these figures would be fairly accurate for a scoop type application. If the car is setting there running no scoop will do any good. Once moving the airflow will rapidly cool the heat soak out of the passageways that lead to the intake whether its from the hot pavement or the hot hood.

Apex Motorsports 11-21-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric-MPD1.com (Post 7202057)
CAI's website says 15 rwhp for the SS cai and 18.3 with a race scoop. I would think these figures would be fairly accurate for a scoop type application. If the car is setting there running no scoop will do any good. Once moving the airflow will rapidly cool the heat soak out of the passageways that lead to the intake whether its from the hot pavement or the hot hood.

That was not an attempt to talk anyone out of it. Like I mentioned I have a functional hood scoop on my car and I am not too worried about it.

scoticus.rex 11-21-2013 09:04 PM

Don't worry, I already have a deposit down on the hood although I decided on their Force 5 hood instead. Buying it at the end of the month. Mine will be the 8th one sold so that should be pretty unique. Just trying to find the best option for paint and fitment right now. Metallic paint complicates issues and inflates the price for paint unfortunately. I will post pictures towards the end of December when it is all done and installed.

Eric-MPD1.com 11-22-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apex Chase (Post 7204844)
That was not an attempt to talk anyone out of it. Like I mentioned I have a functional hood scoop on my car and I am not too worried about it.

I was not thinking that at all. Just was on CAI's website and seen the info on hp figures with a race scoop. Actually surprised it was higher with the scoop.

scoticus.rex 11-22-2013 07:40 AM

I am not surprised that is is higher with the scoop, just curious what other number represents. My guess would be without the scoop when means your air flow on the Camaro is somewhat restricted due to placement of the water bottle, front fascia, etc. The scoop funnels and therefore increases the flow of air specifically towards the CAI, so it is logical to think that is would result in some increase. The question would be did they also test it with a Hood style ram air intake like the Z-Force or Force 5 hoods mentioned above. I would be interested to seeing a comparison of the three of those (race scoop, hood scoop, no scoop) all side-by-side. Regardless of which option you choose, there is going to be an increase in performance.

For me, the hood is as much about looks as it is about function. I really like the MPD hood designs and a hood scoop to me is synonymous with the muscle cars that I grew up loving. So do I care that this is a functional hood scoop designed to work with the CAI, Inc intake I already have on the car, absolutely. Am I more excited about the fact that my hood is going to look badass... damn straight I am.

Eric, I will give you a call right around the first of December and complete the order. Really looking forward to getting this ordered, painted and installed.

Scott

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric-MPD1.com (Post 7207338)
I was not thinking that at all. Just was on CAI's website and seen the info on hp figures with a race scoop. Actually surprised it was higher with the scoop.

Apex Motorsports 11-22-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoticus.rex (Post 7206726)
Don't worry, I already have a deposit down on the hood although I decided on their Force 5 hood instead. Buying it at the end of the month. Mine will be the 8th one sold so that should be pretty unique. Just trying to find the best option for paint and fitment right now. Metallic paint complicates issues and inflates the price for paint unfortunately. I will post pictures towards the end of December when it is all done and installed.

That is a cool hood. Modern paint is making it a whole lot more difficult. We have a friend with a 2014 GT500 going through problems right now matching an aftermarket hood to his paint.

scoticus.rex 11-22-2013 10:36 AM

Yep, that is the main issue. Basically they are going to paint the hood and blend with the fenders and front fascia to make sure it all looks good. I ended up contacting a couple of local hotrod shops as most paint and body shops did not want to work with the after market part as they said they could not guarantee the paint match with the metallic paint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apex Chase (Post 7207489)
That is a cool hood. Modern paint is making it a whole lot more difficult. We have a friend with a 2014 GT500 going through problems right now matching an aftermarket hood to hit paint.

Eric-MPD1.com 11-22-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apex Chase (Post 7207489)
That is a cool hood. Modern paint is making it a whole lot more difficult. We have a friend with a 2014 GT500 going through problems right now matching an aftermarket hood to hit paint.

what color?

Having painted for the 30 years I think its easier than ever to match paint. The key is having a blendable match. Anytime you attempt to panel paint you will not achieve perfection. You may bet close enough so most people cant tell. Granted some of the tri stages can be tricky. And I had a hell of a time with cyber gray. All the formulas matched the mirrors but not the body itself.

Apex Motorsports 11-22-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric-MPD1.com (Post 7207842)
what color?

Having painted for the 30 years I think its easier than ever to match paint. The key is having a blendable match. Anytime you attempt to panel paint you will not achieve perfection. You may bet close enough so most people cant tell. Granted some of the tri stages can be tricky. And I had a hell of a time with cyber gray. All the formulas matched the mirrors but not the body itself.

Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat

http://edge.vinsolutions.com/images/...51320897/0.jpg

Eric-MPD1.com 11-22-2013 03:25 PM

Yep tri coats are not fun!

Apex Motorsports 11-22-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric-MPD1.com (Post 7208618)
Yep tri coats are not fun!

He is learning that the hard way. :lol:

scoticus.rex 11-23-2013 12:47 AM

Infernal Orange Metallic. Actually I have two different custom hot rod shops telling me two different things now. One is saying they would have to do blending on the fenders, etc. The other is saying that is a really bad idea and that it will never look right. They seem to think they can get close enough on the hood so most people won't be able to tell without having to do any blending on any of the other panels. My concern is that if they do blending on any of the other panels, I can never switch back in the future since then the stock hood would not match. Don't know why I would want to switch back, but not sure I like eliminating the option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric-MPD1.com (Post 7207842)
what color?