Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   For Those Who Have Installed Magnuson (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42189)

Banshee 09-12-2009 05:51 PM

For Those Who Have Installed Magnuson

I have been debating...reading, re-reading and racking my brain. I am taking my Camaro to Lingenfelter in April and have been shaking my head on a few things and hope those who have installed or had installed a Magnuson could give me/us some insight and direction.

Lingenfelter states the supercharger will provide 570hp without any mods correct?

Now this is where I am in a quandry. I plan on longtubes, possibly from American racing and replacing the remainder of the exhaust. Also going with CAI, Hotchkis swaybars and talking to Pedders on a direction with the suspension (lowering/shocks) Then we have probably 30 different exhaust tones...Don't want anything too loud, too high pitched...you know, moderately respectable with a throaty 60's sound. I don't want that "assh*Oe" loudness with that much HP.

What direction have you guys gone with the mods? What response, road handling characteristics? Has the steering and roll been addressed and corrected?

On a final note, you read longtubes increase HP by 40, torque 40 remainder of exhaust by maybe 10-15 and a CAI maybe 10. Now if you take into account a base install without mods yields 570 HP, one would assume that adding CAI, LT and catback would yield another minimum 60 HP.

Just getting a feel for what you guys went with and your commentary and satisfaction overall.

Thanks!

ADM PERFORMANCE 09-12-2009 07:30 PM

"On a final note, you read longtubes increase HP by 40, torque 40 remainder of exhaust by maybe 10-15 and a CAI maybe 10. Now if you take into account a base install without mods yields 570 HP, one would assume that adding CAI, LT and catback would yield another minimum 60 HP. "

Not true at all.Headers make you lose horsepower(when used with same pulley).Intake will help more than 10(more like 20-30).

Ask the guys at LPE and they will agree with me.

Andy

mws444 09-12-2009 07:30 PM

Hey another LPE man! Congrats! I take it you are talking the 570 hp package, they do do a fuel pump booster and new injectors as well. I am currntly up there geting the 650 package and asked about headers, they told me that you need a little backpressure and the stock system actually flows very well. They figure the gain with headers is not worth the cost, only reason to do a catback was for sound. Sounds strange to me but they have probably spent more time with the ls3 on a dyno than most so I figure I will take their word for it.
Take a look at this thread to see what other LPE freaks are doing to their cars:http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40101

Mod4SS 09-12-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE (Post 915429)
Not true at all.Headers make you lose horsepower(when used with same pulley).Intake will help more than 10(more like 20-30).

Out of curiosity and assuming you're correct, why are most people adding the ARH longtubes with the S/C kit? What size pulley do you recommend to compliment the ARH longtubes to increase HP?

Mimo 09-12-2009 08:49 PM

I have installed the HPE CAI and the ARH Long Tubes - i feel a huge difference - I don't understand the comment of a loss of horsepower??? I am currently installing the Magnuson super charger.

JJ2010 09-12-2009 09:06 PM

I just had a TVS-2300 installed with a LMR CAI on my L99.....

It had Kooks Headers,Corsa Catback Exhaust already.....

It feels like it is flowing to much to me.....

I thought it would have made more power....

Maggie 120 hp
Kooks headers 30 hp
Corsa exhaust 15 hp
CAI 15 hp
= 180 hp
stock 320 rwhp
500 hp right....It made 480 rwhp on 8lbs of boost

Crowley 09-12-2009 09:35 PM

On my 04 cobra, when I freed up the exhaust a little, my boost (PSI) went down but I gained power (vs before the catback and highflow catted xpipe). That being said, I gained power when opening the exhaust up even though my PSI was down. When I added a K&N intake and larger single blade throttlebody, I gained 1 PSI of boost (and made more power as well).

That being said, I think with the TVS you will gain power accross the board with any of the other mods, but it isn't as easy as adding them up.

Talk with LPE .. they will give you good direction.

rharon 09-12-2009 09:51 PM

I agree with CROWLEY

mws444 09-12-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rharon (Post 916070)
I agree with CROWLEY

He speaks the truth. LPE can point you right.

hot ss 09-12-2009 10:03 PM

i think a 3.6 with headers sounds about right.

urr2slo 09-13-2009 02:54 AM

i have the tvs 2300 with a 3" magnaflow comp series exhaust. i have the dynatech super maxx headers and cats on there way and a rotofab cai, once i get those instaled i will retune for max power. i also have the hotchkis swaybars and springs as well. i will be adding rotora's big brake kit soon as well. this thing rocks, cant wait to get ur done.

Mod4SS 09-13-2009 06:58 AM

Rharon...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rharon (Post 916070)
I agree with CROWLEY

How much RWHP are you getting with your current mods?

vsgls1 09-13-2009 09:36 AM

Agree with ADM & Crowley also. The numbers on these advertised kits are flywheel numbers, you need to account for drivetrain loss, etc.

Speed74SS 09-13-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banshee (Post 915119)
I have been debating...reading, re-reading and racking my brain. I am taking my Camaro to Lingenfelter in April and have been shaking my head on a few things and hope those who have installed or had installed a Magnuson could give me/us some insight and direction.

Lingenfelter states the supercharger will provide 570hp without any mods correct?

Now this is where I am in a quandry. I plan on longtubes, possibly from American racing and replacing the remainder of the exhaust. Also going with CAI, Hotchkis swaybars and talking to Pedders on a direction with the suspension (lowering/shocks) Then we have probably 30 different exhaust tones...Don't want anything too loud, too high pitched...you know, moderately respectable with a throaty 60's sound. I don't want that "assh*Oe" loudness with that much HP.

What direction have you guys gone with the mods? What response, road handling characteristics? Has the steering and roll been addressed and corrected?

On a final note, you read longtubes increase HP by 40, torque 40 remainder of exhaust by maybe 10-15 and a CAI maybe 10. Now if you take into account a base install without mods yields 570 HP, one would assume that adding CAI, LT and catback would yield another minimum 60 HP.

Just getting a feel for what you guys went with and your commentary and satisfaction overall.

Thanks!

They include their CAI in the 570 package - it is actually the RotoFab CAI with a modified tube for the maggie. I didn't go with a headers but I did do the Borla cat-back exhaust and it sounds perfect. It has a very deep rumble which is not loud and annoying.

With the headers and a smaller pulley I think you may get more of a gain, as it looks like some other peoples builds on this forum have turned out good. I think once you get over 600hp to the flywheel, LPE doesn't feel comfortable putting their warranty on it, unless the internals are forged like in the 650 package.

My 570 package from LPE dynoed at 518hp & 503tq. They did an excellent job and I am very happy with it.