Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2SS with RS Package Question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61083)

clg_98ta 01-16-2010 10:11 AM

2SS with RS Package Question

I'm interested in a Black 2SS and I'm trying to determine if I want the RS package. I originally thought that a better wheel/tire combo came with the RS, but I was told that a 2SS w/o RS gets the same wheels/tires as a 2SS/RS. If so, what do you get for the extra $1200?

The RS is advertised to include:

- 20x8 front, 20x9 rear painted wheels
- body-color ditch molding
- HID headlights
- "sinister" looking taillights
- special RS badging

Assuming the wheels are the same, and no RS badging on SS models, that leaves painted black (as opposed to unpainted black) ditch molding and the head and tail lights. Are those worth $1200? Is there anything else I'm missing?

dermo1989 01-16-2010 10:34 AM

Yeah, it's mostly the HID headlights that cost ya. I have a 2SS/RS in black, so the colored ditch moldings were not an issue, but if your not getting black, it may be. The taillight lenses are a little darker, and if you get the RS package the SS badges will be in red. Just think about future re-sale and the RS package could be a plus.

shroomjohn 01-16-2010 10:41 AM

The wheels are not the same you get Midnight Silver wheels w the RS package just a touch darker than polished.

BackinBlackSS/RS 01-16-2010 10:43 AM

RS package comes with the MIDNIGHT Silver painted wheels. Non SS is standard 20" painted wheel, or you can upgrade to the polished 20" wheels on any package. I love the Midnight silver on my black SS. :)

Blade 01-16-2010 10:56 AM

Yea the HID's alone are $1200 bucks w/o installation. The package is well worth it, and the midnight finish is kickass especially on a Black or CGM Camaro.

trm0002 01-16-2010 10:56 AM

Yes you want the RS package. Period.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x.../RS_NON_RS.png

BackinBlackSS/RS 01-16-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trm0002 (Post 1386136)
Yes you want the RS package. Period.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x.../RS_NON_RS.png

:word:

papabearcamaro 01-16-2010 02:38 PM

I know it's not a big issue for you with getting a black car but for me getting the RS package was a must as I am getting the yellow. Having black ditch molding would of made me very unhappy with the car. Getting the extras in the RS was just extra icing on the cake for me. Good luck with what you choose!!

Sir Nuke 01-17-2010 08:58 AM

get the RS pkg.......the HID's alone make it worth it.......if you have never had HID's before, you need to get a test drive at night and see the difference......you will never want another car without them.

Camaro RS/SS 01-17-2010 10:32 AM

I have it on my 2SS and it is definitly worth it.

liquidfire350 01-17-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clg_98ta (Post 1386043)
I'm interested in a Black 2SS and I'm trying to determine if I want the RS package. I originally thought that a better wheel/tire combo came with the RS, but I was told that a 2SS w/o RS gets the same wheels/tires as a 2SS/RS. If so, what do you get for the extra $1200?

The RS is advertised to include:

- 20x8 front, 20x9 rear painted wheels
- body-color ditch molding
- HID headlights
- "sinister" looking taillights
- special RS badging

Assuming the wheels are the same, and no RS badging on SS models, that leaves painted black (as opposed to unpainted black) ditch molding and the head and tail lights. Are those worth $1200? Is there anything else I'm missing?

as said above, the wheel design is the same its just a different color
ive heard that the molding are just black rubber on the non-rs, and with the rs is painted body color, even with black
i personally think the standard lights look meaner, but the HIDs light the road up better and as said before, the aftermarket cost of installing them is reason alone to get the RS package
you do get darker taillights
the SS badges go from sliver to red and on the v6s they get red RS badges

you are forgetting it also comes with a spoiler although thats standard on the SS

i did it, and id buy it again

The_Blur 01-17-2010 11:17 AM

The HIDs are the main selling point here. They are expensive and hard to match in the aftermarket as far as fit and finish.

mfr1950 01-17-2010 11:31 AM

The HID lights are most of the expense, They give far better vision at night,also HID lights emit ultraviolet light that makes reflective road signs visible much further down the road than standard halogen bulbs....

clg_98ta 01-17-2010 11:43 AM

I appreciate all the feedback. I didn't realize the HID lights were such a big deal... I'm now considering getting the RS package.

I am a little curious about what it costs to replace a HID bulb when it goes out. Anyone know? Is there a bulb, or do you have to replace the entire unit?