Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   EXHAUST SYSTEMS - Which Ones Better N WHY ? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5726)

Rogue Leader 12-03-2008 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodrunner (Post 206790)
Glasspacks....gotta love 'em....simple, little back pressure, but damn loud. Had some Thrush on my '69 383 Roadrunner. Personally I liked the deep sound of running them with no tailpipes. Suppose designs today have progressed way beyong fiberglass, so this decision's gonna take some listening at LS1 Sounds.
Good luck with the restore! I'm more than a bit envious....and, hey, a classic muscle car needs a classic exhaust - go with the Cherry Bombs!!!!! :headbang:

The car was a 383 car originally, prior owner dropped in a 440. Blue Fire Metallic, 4 speed. Oh and identical to the car my dad bought new in 69.

Hey its his car, he wants cherry bombs, i'll put cherry bombs on it. Sounded like a top fuel car 4 years ago (last time it actually ran). Just finished dropping the motor back in a month ago, done for the winter....

Muscle Master 12-03-2008 08:17 AM

I have borlas but have fell in love with magnaflows, and thats the first mod I'm doing when I get my chally

Chewy 12-03-2008 08:59 AM

i havn't delt with exhaust modding a whole lot, but on my 540i i deleted both resonators and added a magnaflow - all i can say is that the germans went through a lot of trouble making it quite, and that magnaflow really helps the V-8 tone out

i can only imagine what they could do for an american muscle car !

ron8879 12-03-2008 10:31 AM

I am leaning towards magna flow, or borla as a second pic. I think corsa sound too ricey to me and I worked at a harley shop and had nothing but problems with fit and finish with bassani. I am looking for a low muscular sound, not neccisarily loud. With all this said, I am interested in hearing the final finished exhaust sounds for the 6 and 8 stock. They did put a ton of research into the exhaust sound, so maybe it might be really nice sounding.

CamaroSpike23 12-03-2008 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 206462)
:word: At least on a lot of cars I've heard that had mostly stock exhaust (i.e. manifolds, cats', OEM piping) they just sounded really crappy as the RPMs went up. That could be different with this car, and once you start throwing mods' on it, but the drone I've had with the ones I've run just wasn't cool. They were only enjoyable when I wanted to be loud, just because I wanted to at that time.

Flowmaster catbacks..... for some reason suck balls on 4th gen f-bodys. nasty, raspy tone and actually proven that they dont give the same hp gains as other catbacks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muscle Master (Post 207106)
I have borlas but have fell in love with magnaflows, and thats the first mod I'm doing when I get my camaro

fixed.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...tor2915705.jpg

TheClassicCarKid 12-03-2008 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron8879 (Post 207185)
I am leaning towards magna flow, or borla as a second pic. I think corsa sound too ricey to me and I worked at a harley shop and had nothing but problems with fit and finish with bassani. I am looking for a low muscular sound, not neccisarily loud. With all this said, I am interested in hearing the final finished exhaust sounds for the 6 and 8 stock. They did put a ton of research into the exhaust sound, so maybe it might be really nice sounding.

If you want the deep, low, note I think you'll be happy with MagnaFlow:thumbsup:

Rodrunner 12-04-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron8879 (Post 207185)

Good point. They did put a lot of research into the stock sound - Fourier Transform and all. With a little luck, we may just like the stock pipe's sound good enough we can all save some money. But I'd also really like to hear the LPO performance exhaust before deciding. Don't know how that's going to be possible!?!

:blackvertshift: 2SS/RS Black/Black w-Cyber Gray stripes/Auto - ordered 10/18/08 - Polished Aluminums added 12/1/08

kanakattack 12-04-2008 10:25 AM

One word of caution for those of us that have ordered the automatic transmission, wait a while before making a decision on which exhaust to put in if you are looking to do this mod. The A/T model cuts to 4 cylinders in certain situations, I had a Chrysler 300C that did the same thing. This becomes a challenge to exhaust manufacturers as when it goes into the 4 cylinder mode a slight "drone" is created, a sort of a low level hum. Stock systems take this into consideration and keeps the drone to a minimum. If you put certain systems in the low level drone becomes an unbearably loud hum when it kicks into 4 cylinder. There were several exhaust systems that were created for the 300 that addressed that issue so hopefully they will replicate it for the camaro. Some 300C owners just put in long tubes and were satisfied with the results.

SoFlaZ 12-04-2008 11:54 AM

Camarospike, whats up with the wiggly exhaust that makes it sound so much better? Does it ever pop open on the road?

EDIT: Ok now I get it, automatic/manual cutout. Very clever.

radz28 12-04-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 207206)
Flowmaster catbacks..... for some reason suck balls on 4th gen f-bodys. nasty, raspy tone and actually proven that they dont give the same hp gains as other catbacks.

I think it's that crossflow that jacks everything up. If you were to install a standard single in single/dual out, that would be different, but I've just always heard this really whispy sound that was always crappy to my ear. It wasn't a good tone at all.

Regarding the AFM on the autos' making drone - I wonder if the GMPP catback will take care of that. It's stated it meets all noise requirements and such. I say go for the off-road catback instead :D

CamaroSpike23 12-04-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanakattack (Post 208347)
One word of caution for those of us that have ordered the automatic transmission, wait a while before making a decision on which exhaust to put in if you are looking to do this mod. The A/T model cuts to 4 cylinders in certain situations, I had a Chrysler 300C that did the same thing. This becomes a challenge to exhaust manufacturers as when it goes into the 4 cylinder mode a slight "drone" is created, a sort of a low level hum. Stock systems take this into consideration and keeps the drone to a minimum. If you put certain systems in the low level drone becomes an unbearably loud hum when it kicks into 4 cylinder. There were several exhaust systems that were created for the 300 that addressed that issue so hopefully they will replicate it for the camaro. Some 300C owners just put in long tubes and were satisfied with the results.

GM has been working on the exhaust for the L99 for quite some time now to make sure it is the best.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFlaZ (Post 208443)
Camarospike, whats up with the wiggly exhaust that makes it sound so much better? Does it ever pop open on the road?

EDIT: Ok now I get it, automatic/manual cutout. Very clever.

yeah.... cutout... im going to pickup my new electric motor for my cutout this weekend.
Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 208593)
I think it's that crossflow that jacks everything up. If you were to install a standard single in single/dual out, that would be different, but I've just always heard this really whispy sound that was always crappy to my ear. It wasn't a good tone at all.

Regarding the AFM on the autos' making drone - I wonder if the GMPP catback will take care of that. It's stated it meets all noise requirements and such. I say go for the off-road catback instead :D

yeah, I've seen true dual setups with dual mufflers that sound decent, but the catback systems as a whole from flowmaster suck ass

tsg1391 12-08-2008 05:41 PM

do you think it would be too crazy to tune out afm to add a loud exhaust? i plan on doing that if it doesnt completely kill gas mileage(which i dont think it will)

CamaroSpike23 12-08-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsg1391 (Post 212262)
do you think it would be too crazy to tune out afm to add a loud exhaust? i plan on doing that if it doesnt completely kill gas mileage(which i dont think it will)

well, just tuning it out will only make a difference when it would normally go to 4cyl mode as far as the sound goes.

with the AFM system in the car you have a different lifter setup and a slightly different cam grind, which.... if you dont care for afm in the car at all, you might as well swap to the hot cam and swap the lifters out as well.

tsg1391 12-09-2008 04:34 PM

i was planning on doing that also, i dont want to have to have a quiet exhaust to cover up the afm, i would just rather not have it