Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ONSTAR MYLINK IS OUT!! EVERYONE DOWNLOAD! YAY!! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112908)

charwoods3 10-27-2010 07:27 PM

I can't seem to find it in the marketplace on my Droid X. Did they take it out or am I the only person having this problem?

Bobbyosto 10-27-2010 07:36 PM

Maybe I'm dumb, but can I start YOUR car with MY phone?

asmith10 10-27-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbyosto (Post 2489085)
Maybe I'm dumb, but can I start YOUR car with MY phone?

I suppose its possible if you had the persons account information haha now that would be one way to surprise your friend!

Sasquatch 10-27-2010 07:43 PM

I sent this message to OnStar feel free to reuse, I think that its fair but firm:

Dear OnStar,

I am sad to say that I won't be renewing my subscription to your service at the end of my trial period. Today, as I am sure you are aware, you released a mobile application that is not compatible with my vehicle because it is a 2010 model. I know that you will undoubtedly anticipate a great deal of response to this, so I will keep my message short. Thanks for making it an easier decision! Now, I'll be forced to feel unsafe, but at least I'll retain some semblance of dignity. No 2010? Slap in the face... Onstar, why? What would be so hard? Just so you know, this is BAD. A BAD THING IS HAPPENING. We, the loyal early buyers and rescuers are being cheated out of our lunch money by our overbearing illegitimate parents, namely, ONSTAR. What 2011 would there be to drive if none of us bought 2010s to begin with!? OnStar employees ALL wear mink coats and drive DODGES.

How dare you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Awesome 10-27-2010 07:51 PM

I just wanted to THANK OnStar for their helpful app...

I just installed the app to confirm it DOES NOT work with my car. In the process I noticed when I logged into their website that my subscription reverted to the "Directions and Connections" plan when it expired last month. Since I don't feel like giving them any more money than I have to, it alerted me to the fact that I can change to the "safe and sound" plan, which is $10 less per month.

Had I not attempted to use their so-called "App", I would have inadvertently continuted to pay for the more expensive service. Their failed app alerted me to an opportunity to punish them for their bad support.

Thanks OnStar!

DavidCigam 10-27-2010 07:56 PM

I DLed and tested the app out today, it's pretty sweet, but it took awhile for my car to start using it.

Bobbyosto 10-27-2010 07:58 PM

Once you download it to the phone, how do you put your user name and password in?

Sasquatch 10-27-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidCigam (Post 2489142)
I DLed and tested the app out today, it's pretty sweet, but it took awhile for my car to start using it.

are you saying that the car suddenly started long after you had expected it to?

I should put that in my letter! HOW DARE THEY DO THAT TO YOU.

DavidCigam 10-27-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquatch (Post 2489151)
are you saying that the car suddenly started long after you had expected it to?

I should put that in my letter! HOW DARE THEY DO THAT TO YOU.

Haha not a complaint but I mean I pressed it and like 40 seconds later nothing so I canceled it, and as soon as I canceled it the car started, and then turned off. Still a bad ass feature imo.

Sasquatch 10-27-2010 08:04 PM

it's making me jumpy, i tell you.

2011CamaroV6newbee 10-27-2010 08:13 PM

Works for me to, pretty cool but it will be gone when the trial ends. Oh well I can have fun untill then :)

Blackhawk6 10-27-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquatch (Post 2489107)
I sent this message to OnStar feel free to reuse, I think that its fair but firm:

Dear OnStar,

I am sad to say that I won't be renewing my subscription to your service at the end of my trial period. Today, as I am sure you are aware, you released a mobile application that is not compatible with my vehicle because it is a 2010 model. I know that you will undoubtedly anticipate a great deal of response to this, so I will keep my message short. Thanks for making it an easier decision! Now, I'll be forced to feel unsafe, but at least I'll retain some semblance of dignity. No 2010? Slap in the face... Onstar, why? What would be so hard? Just so you know, this is BAD. A BAD THING IS HAPPENING. We, the loyal early buyers and rescuers are being cheated out of our lunch money by our overbearing illegitimate parents, namely, ONSTAR. What 2011 would there be to drive if none of us bought 2010s to begin with!? OnStar employees ALL wear mink coats and drive DODGES.

How dare you.

+1 on not renewing the OnStar. We want an app for the 2010.......

Memphis SS 10-27-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Awesome (Post 2488891)
You were fed a line of crap. Yes, the hardware is slightly different, but any function that OnStar can do when you press the blue button or phone in to their toll free number is a function that can and SHOULD be available to a smartphone. It would also be TRIVIAL to have access to those functions via the OnStar Website you log into with your account.

They simply chose not to offer these features for people with existing vehicles of prior model years. It can be argued that they do this intentionally to encourage trade-ins.

They have offered NO other explanation and some very weak excuses, which have been universally debunked on their social media comment sections.

I await a real answer.

Since you don't work for OnStar you don't have a clue... And if you think that OnStar and GM is holding back a phone app for your car just to sale you a new one your full of :bs:

MMaglione 10-27-2010 08:38 PM

ugh i renewed like 2 days ago...i gave a bad rating though!!!

fastkevman 10-27-2010 08:43 PM

How do you set-up a pin number to use the lock features?

Captain Awesome 10-27-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Memphis SS (Post 2489257)
Since you don't work for OnStar you don't have a clue... And if you think that OnStar and GM is holding back a phone app for your car just to sale you a new one your full of :bs:

Since you haven't been designing products similar to OnStar for over 20 years, your comments merely amuse those of us who have.

Gigachip 10-27-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastkevman (Post 2489289)
How do you set-up a pin number to use the lock features?

I called onstar and set it up

LED Crazy 10-27-2010 08:48 PM

Works great! This makes OnStar worth every penny. :)

Memphis SS 10-27-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Awesome (Post 2489302)
Since you haven't been designing products similar to OnStar for over 20 years, your comments merely amuse those of us who have.

I have been working in GSM hardware for years and I do know hardware can be a issue.. I also have two US patents in Homeland Security products that use Mesh Radio and GSM.. I'm the one that is amused!!!

Do you work for OnStar?? I don't think so.

MF2SSRS 10-27-2010 08:56 PM

Why is everyone so surprised that it wont work on their 2010's. Haven't we known this all along?

Gigachip 10-27-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MF2SSRS (Post 2489331)
Why is everyone so surprised that it wont work on their 2010's. Haven't we known this all along?

the hopes for a ninja update

Captain Awesome 10-27-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Memphis SS (Post 2489322)
I have been working in GSM hardware for years and I do know hardware can be a issue.. I also have two US patents in Homeland Security products that use Mesh Radio and GSM.. I'm the one that is amused!!!

Do you work for OnStar?? I don't think so.

A whole TWO?

Wow!

:emoticon8:

Write me back when you get a patent on something with CDMA (like OnStar).

Memphis SS 10-27-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Awesome (Post 2489386)
A whole TWO?

Wow!

:emoticon8:

Write me back when you get a patent on something with CDMA (like OnStar).

How many US patents do you have in GSM or CDMA??? I'm waiting!!!

Bottom Line You don't work for OnStar and you don't know the answer, other than what has been said by Onstar which is only the GEN9 supports the app.

I just can't believe you think Onstar is holding out on the 2010 model being included so they can sell more cars... Do you really think people will sell their year old car so they can get a free onstar app... Come on really??

BackinBlackSS/RS 10-27-2010 09:13 PM

Um, bummer for 2010 owners, but NO way would I give up my 2010 SS. No way in hell.
It's the first year they came back. I ain't giving that up for nothing. :headbang: Hopefully something can be done though. :)

Chobbs11 10-27-2010 09:15 PM

Got the app and it is really really cool! Works very well and I love all the features. I WILL renew Onsar just because of this app!

Kahdir 10-27-2010 09:26 PM

Oh well, hopes weren't that high :(

Hopefully OnStar can/will figure out how to support 2010 Camaros before my Directions & Connections plan is up for renewal... (even if features were limited) :iono:

Vancelot 10-27-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masterwinning (Post 2487725)
Anyone have any luck finding it for the Droid?

Installing now on my DroidX.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Vancelot 10-27-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancelot (Post 2489460)
Installing now on my DroidX.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Android app installed. Doesn't seem to be updating. May have to start car to update.

Edit:
Oh, you just have to hit the refresh symbol to get the latest stats.

Sweet.

TJ91 10-27-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogey89 (Post 2488389)
:word:

Also, Canadian Owners get left in the dark once again. What else is new...

Are you serious? :mad0259:

Jshadow 10-27-2010 09:47 PM

This app is sick! Seriously if I do renew my onstar it will be because of the app alone

Captain Awesome 10-27-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Memphis SS (Post 2489396)
How many US patents do you have in GSM or CDMA??? I'm waiting!!!

Bottom Line You don't work for OnStar and you don't know the answer, other than what has been said by Onstar which is the GEN9 supports the app.

I just can't believe you think Onstar is holding out on the 2010 model being included so they can sell more cars... Do you really think people will sell their year old car so they can get a free onstar app... Come on really??

I'm not going to get into a "mine is bigger than yours" argument with you because you're just going to call me a liar no matter what I say unless I post "proof" that obviously would contain personal information that could be used to harass me, etc.

It's no use debating this with you because you insist that there's a hardware issue preventing this from working, which is preposterous.

The only way you can "win" the debate is by proving to me that OnStar is incapable of transmitting information such as vehicle diagnostics (tire pressure, oil life, etc.) to a remote location which then emails it to my personal email address. If you can prove this is impossible because of some hardware issue in the car, then I will bow down before your massive intellect and admit I was wrong. What will you do in the event that I can somehow gin up one of my totally inane pieces of foolish evidence that somehow proves that OnStar CAN do this with my 2010 Camaro?

Oh, and if there's this craptacular hardware issue you insist exists that prevents the 2010 from working with the app, then why is the developer of the App saying that they are working on ways to support 2010's? Maybe you can file a patent for "Remotely Upgraded Hardware" before they do and you'll get rich off the royalties?

I am curious to know how they will upgrade my hardware to Ver 9 by remote control.

jonm38 10-27-2010 10:31 PM

Thats what I just got right now. Saw my 2010 Camaro on my profile and said the same thing. Come OnStar, open it up to 2010's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasquatch (Post 2487700)
http://tapa.tk/mu/43aaf236-6d59-d57e.jpg
Lame

CamaroSoldier 10-27-2010 10:33 PM

I nvr was able to figure out how to connect my ipod to the App Store?!?!?!?!

rallyrob 10-27-2010 10:40 PM

they said when it frist was sopost to come out it wont work for 2010 but im dl it hopefully there will be a update

CUPRA 10-27-2010 10:50 PM

Downloaded it earlier on, tested it out straight away, works great. A slight lag, but that's to be expected between pressing the button and the doors unlocking, but works great!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6988559_n.jpg

Memphis SS 10-27-2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Awesome (Post 2489606)
I'm not going to get into a "mine is bigger than yours" argument with you because you're just going to call me a liar no matter what I say unless I post "proof" that obviously would contain personal information that could be used to harass me, etc.

It's no use debating this with you because you insist that there's a hardware issue preventing this from working, which is preposterous.

The only way you can "win" the debate is by proving to me that OnStar is incapable of transmitting information such as vehicle diagnostics (tire pressure, oil life, etc.) to a remote location which then emails it to my personal email address. If you can prove this is impossible because of some hardware issue in the car, then I will bow down before your massive intellect and admit I was wrong. What will you do in the event that I can somehow gin up one of my totally inane pieces of foolish evidence that somehow proves that OnStar CAN do this with my 2010 Camaro?

Oh, and if there's this craptacular hardware issue you insist exists that prevents the 2010 from working with the app, then why is the developer of the App saying that they are working on ways to support 2010's? Maybe you can file a patent for "Remotely Upgraded Hardware" before they do and you'll get rich off the royalties?

I am curious to know how they will upgrade my hardware to Ver 9 by remote control.

It’s not that I don't agree with some of your statements about maybe some type of limited app for the 2010, Onstar has made reference to this months ago. I have posted I hope they do come out with an app to support the 2010 in some form. I know hardware can play a big part in the limitations. It really comes down to some of your off the wall comments that I couldn’t let you get away without me giving you a hard time. :facepalm:

1. I think we both agree that there are hardware diffs. between 2011 and the 2010

2. I agree that Onstar might be able to find work around to the old hardware that might have some limitations. Really only the Onstar group will be able to let us know for sure on that one.

What I could not let go without comment was your remarks that Onstar is holding out to sell more cars. I just can't see people trading in their 2010s and buy 2011s for a phone app.. I just couldn't let that go. And your remarks "I know it will work" when you don't work for the company that is building the app or the hardware.. I am guessing this because you have never stated your work there and you have been asked by many when you start your rants.

PS:As far as me " filing a patent for "Remotely Upgraded Hardware" before they do and you'll get rich off the royalties?" My 2011 has a working App...I will let you apply for that one since your needing the app for your 2010 ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Awesome (Post 2488958)
A few other things I would suggest they add would be an alert if the security system goes off ot the car is moved. Maybe a "find my car" thing with google maps. The latter should be possible with the 2010 model, since they have "turn by turn" navigation.

That would be a nice add to the app adding the alarm notification..

Right now GM will not allow anyone but law enforcement to have this info on GPS location. I don't think GM wants to get into any legal issue if someone was to track down their own stolen car and get injured or injure someone else. Also the dealer told me they don't want to get in the middle of a spouse issue tracking each other.

steeleshark2 10-27-2010 11:22 PM

I talked to onstar on the phone. They said only 2011 vehicles are supported right now and if our 2010 gets support in the future, we will get a letter stating so.

Duper 10-27-2010 11:24 PM

Not sure why the 2010ers are getting all bent out of shape. They said all along it was for 2011 models only, that shouldn't be a surprise. And honestly, the app is a novelty - what does it do that's so special? Lock/Unlock your car (key does that). Tell you the tire pressure / oil life / mileage / etc - all can be done via a computer or while sitting in the car. I see myself using this all of 5 mins a month (if that much).

A lot of you 2010ers have had your car for a year or so and got all the attention of having it while we hated on you... this app ain't worth getting your panties in a bunch over. Go for a drive, you'll feel better! ;)

cnrad 10-27-2010 11:53 PM

Just downloaded it, this is awesome. Used it from inside the house and it said car now unlocked, ran outside to check and sure enough it was. Then I locked it and waited, then I heard the doors lock. Didn't do remote start because I'm not going anywhere, but anyways this is probably the coolest app in the store, and it's free :D. Another advantage I got for waiting.

Gigachip 10-28-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xRoyalFlush (Post 2489886)
Just downloaded it, this is awesome. Used it from inside the house and it said car now unlocked, ran outside to check and sure enough it was. Then I locked it and waited, then I heard the doors lock. Didn't do remote start because I'm not going anywhere, but anyways this is probably the coolest app in the store, and it's free :D. Another advantage I got for waiting.

first thing I did was do remote start :thumbsup:
had to test it, because my classes are early in the morning it will prove helpful to warm the engine and inside so I dont have to go out and be in the cold to do so :D