Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   CAI question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170879)

crazysyrian720 09-12-2011 11:57 AM

CAI question

So I went to my mechanic the other day and asked him about installing my a cold air intake in my ss. He told me that if i get an intake i have to get a programmer for my car and tune the air flow and that itll cost me about 6-700 dollars. He also said its the only way that i can notice a difference in performance and that just getting an intake without a programmer will not make a difference. Does anyone know if this is true? and what intake brands do you prefer? please and thank you

Sales @ CAI Inc 09-12-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazysyrian720 (Post 3743864)
So I went to my mechanic the other day and asked him about installing my a cold air intake in my ss. He told me that if i get an intake i have to get a programmer for my car and tune the air flow and that itll cost me about 6-700 dollars. He also said its the only way that i can notice a difference in performance and that just getting an intake without a programmer will not make a difference. Does anyone know if this is true? and what intake brands do you prefer? please and thank you

A. Our systems do not require a tune and get 16 RWHP on a stock vehicle with no tune.

B. You can get a tune and you will see more gains, but it is NOT neccesary or required (at least for our intake) The dealer is trying to get your $$.

Heres a little bit about us:

Cold Air Inductions, Inc. intake systems benefits:

: Tig welded aluminum air box (high luster finish reflects radiant heat)

: Insulated air box (this adding another layer of thermal (convection) protection)

: Aluminum lid with stainless steel ¼ turn fasteners (fast filter removal)

: Viewing window for fast easy filter inspection.

: High Luster ceramic coated intake tube (coated inside and out, yet another layer of thermal protection)

: Smooth bore (88.9 mm) intake tube construction (this minimizes bends and restrictions within the system)

: 8” V-stack air filter with built in velocity stack (helps reduce turbulence for truer MAF reading)

: 8 layer air filter (maximizing filtration for prolonged engine life

: LIFETIME WARRANTY

We have sold thousands of intakes, have thousands of happy customers, and incorporate design features that make our system a true Cold Air Intake. We see great #’s on the Dyno as well as the track, and can keep our intake temps within 2 degrees of ambient air due to our design features.

Check out these links as well:
Testimonials Video - http://www.coldairinductions.com/testimonials
3D Filter Video - http://www.coldairinductions.com/air-filters/filters-in-action/

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to help!! :thumbsup:

axis 09-12-2011 01:00 PM

It's the act of making the intake more efficient that adds more HP. The stock unit is a good design but it has several places that create turbulent airflow. Turbulence kills airflow. The better CAI's on the market will decrease turbulence while keeping the IAT's close to or at ambient air temps. They also do this without needing a tune. The PCM will adjust for the increased efficiency and properly fuel your car. When companies change the diameter of the tube around the MAF, a tune is needed to reprogram the MAF for the added airflow. To better explain it, the cartridge style MAF is calibrated to a certain diameter tube around the MAF. It determines airflow based off this predetermined circumference along with temps and a few other things. If you change the diameter of the tube, the MAF is still calculating airflow based off the original size. If your tube is bigger, it will allow unmetered air to enter the system, thus making you run lean. There is a science to making a good CAI that adds HP, yet still plays nice with the PCM. Anyone can make a tube with a filter on the end.

Juiced1 09-12-2011 01:55 PM

We sell a ton of CAI and Roto-Fab intakes. Both are quality made, look great, sound cool and perform well. That being said we carry tons of options, check out our site and shop around a bit.

SSBUSDRVR 09-12-2011 03:46 PM

Welcome to the MB crazysyrian720:) CAI was my first Mod and yes it makes a difference without a tune. Misinformation out there does everyone a disservice Have been around the block but was new to the 5th Gen. Joined this MB and came here looking for advice as well. Some great C5 Sponsor Vendors and people in the know on here. Case in point are the last replies to you. Free to choose where to go but if you decide to buy, imho buy from a Sponsor. 100% of my Aftermarket parts have came from Sponsor Vendors on this MB 100% Satisfied so far. Hope you are too in the future.:)

crazysyrian720 09-12-2011 04:19 PM

awesome thanks everyone! i think im gonna go for it ;)

bannonm 09-12-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill @ CAI Inc (Post 3743949)
A. Our systems do not require a tune and get 16 RWHP on a stock vehicle with no tune.

B. You can get a tune and you will see more gains, but it is NOT neccesary or required (at least for our intake) The dealer is trying to get your $$.

Heres a little bit about us:

Cold Air Inductions, Inc. intake systems benefits:

: Tig welded aluminum air box (high luster finish reflects radiant heat)

: Insulated air box (this adding another layer of thermal (convection) protection)

: Aluminum lid with stainless steel ¼ turn fasteners (fast filter removal)

: Viewing window for fast easy filter inspection.

: High Luster ceramic coated intake tube (coated inside and out, yet another layer of thermal protection)

: Smooth bore (88.9 mm) intake tube construction (this minimizes bends and restrictions within the system)

: 8” V-stack air filter with built in velocity stack (helps reduce turbulence for truer MAF reading)

: 8 layer air filter (maximizing filtration for prolonged engine life

: LIFETIME WARRANTY

We have sold thousands of intakes, have thousands of happy customers, and incorporate design features that make our system a true Cold Air Intake. We see great #’s on the Dyno as well as the track, and can keep our intake temps within 2 degrees of ambient air due to our design features.

Check out these links as well:
Testimonials Video - http://www.coldairinductions.com/testimonials
3D Filter Video - http://www.coldairinductions.com/air-filters/filters-in-action/

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to help!! :thumbsup:

So Bill, are you saying that with only your cai installed I can get 16 hp more on a stock SS? No tune required?

Sales @ CAI Inc 09-13-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bannonm (Post 3744985)
So Bill, are you saying that with only your cai installed I can get 16 hp more on a stock SS? No tune required?

Correct, we see an avg. gain of 15 rwhp on the V8 and 16 rwhp on the V6. These #'s are on a stock vehicle with no tune. Of course if you decide to add a washer bottle and scoop kit you will bring these #'s up about 4 rwhp. Then later if you decide to add a tune your looking at an additional 10-15 rwhp. I can promise you this, if you get our kit you will love it! Let me know if you have any other questions, thanks! :thumbsup: