CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=254)
-   -   P0300 supercharged high way pull? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617207)

oneredry 06-21-2023 07:27 AM

P0300 supercharged high way pull?

Hello everyone, been a minute since I've posted anything. but last night was on the highway with absolute no one on the road, did a small pull coming from off the ramp to the highway, stayed into it till about 5th gear and let up (I wont' say the speeds) in anyrate, I see the check engine light flash on and off for about 45 seconds until i got off the highway. when i pulled to the stop light the light went away (went home and checked it). Keeping in mind that the car only has about 9800 miles on it, and when i was in it, I can tell that the supercharger belt was slipping as when i looked over i noticed that my boost gauge peaked at 8.4psi which I've never seen it go that high. (has been dyno tuned) a step down smaller pully has been put on, and the belt has not been replaced upon that new pully. Never really had any issues especially a misfire code. what I'm thinking is that with it being full throttle and the belt slippage (you can fell it) maybe the air/fuel wasn't getting?
- what are your thoughts? i did drive it around for a bit and light never came back on. I normally don't beat on my vehicles and thought it was a ok idea just to stretch her legs a bit.

Joshinator99 06-21-2023 11:42 AM

Misfire is frequently plug or plug wire related. What are you running for those items? I’m assuming you’re on pump gas 91/93?

oneredry 06-21-2023 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshinator99 (Post 11328066)
Misfire is frequently plug or plug wire related. What are you running for those items? I’m assuming you’re on pump gas 91/93?

yes 93 shell for fuel. wires are stock, plugs are ACdelco 1 step colder (the ones that the ZL1 use for boost) not the stock SS plugs.

Joshinator99 06-21-2023 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneredry (Post 11328114)
yes 93 shell for fuel. wires are stock, plugs are ACdelco 1 step colder (the ones that the ZL1 use for boost) not the stock SS plugs.

Was P0300 the only code? You often get say, P0304, which would tell you the cylinder that’s having the issue.

oneredry 06-21-2023 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshinator99 (Post 11328154)
Was P0300 the only code? You often get say, P0304, which would tell you the cylinder that’s having the issue.

good question. yes. that p0300 was infact the only code. no other code was present.

cjperformance 06-22-2023 06:57 AM

Replying in a hurry, so apologies if i missed a detail somewhere. You said you never saw that high of boost. Could you be out of fueling capacity? Lean miss? Random misfire, not just on a single cyl?

Whats your fueling mods?

oneredry 06-22-2023 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjperformance (Post 11328287)
Replying in a hurry, so apologies if i missed a detail somewhere. You said you never saw that high of boost. Could you be out of fueling capacity? Lean miss? Random misfire, not just on a single cyl?

Whats your fueling mods?

its a possibility. so I'm conservative when it comes to fueling, I had this dyno tuned with HPTuners and the tuner said when he tuned it, the car was very happy right around the 7.5psi. on all stock fueling, which is what I wanted. (not because of being cheap, but i wanted a reliable with some fun) this was the best of both worlds. Now, you make a good point when what i feel like the belt slip which spiked the boost up (what I would call it) it could very well have been this.
but as i was saying, the tuner said that he could tune it a little higher but the fuel would start cutting out at 600whp or so. right now I'm right around the 570whp.

KingLT1 06-22-2023 09:23 AM

belt slip isn't going to spike the boost. If the belt slips the pulley on the supercharger isn't going to spin as fast causing a loss of boost due to less rpm. You likely just need to tighten the spark plug gap up a little bit.

cjperformance 06-22-2023 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneredry (Post 11328339)
its a possibility. so I'm conservative when it comes to fueling, I had this dyno tuned with HPTuners and the tuner said when he tuned it, the car was very happy right around the 7.5psi. on all stock fueling, which is what I wanted. (not because of being cheap, but i wanted a reliable with some fun) this was the best of both worlds. Now, you make a good point when what i feel like the belt slip which spiked the boost up (what I would call it) it could very well have been this.
but as i was saying, the tuner said that he could tune it a little higher but the fuel would start cutting out at 600whp or so. right now I'm right around the 570whp.

I've been where you are. If it isn't what KingLT1 said, I'd put my money on lack of fuel despite what your tuner said. It's a RAZOR THIN margin on stock LT1 fueling. Especially on a 2016 on the low side. I was hitting 30 lbs on the low size at 7-8 psi.

oneredry 06-22-2023 01:21 PM

all makes perfect sense. thanks guys...
- whats wierd is hopefully its a 1 and done. as I've never experienced this before. only difference is. this was WOT from 2nd through 5 up till "x" mph. VS maybe light to light.

cjperformance 06-22-2023 02:27 PM

If you have hptuners, get some logs. Yer a cold day away from engine damage if you are out of fuel capacity. Cold air takes more fuel... stresses the fuel system more. Long pull can make it worse too.

JANNETTYRACING 06-29-2023 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneredry (Post 11327967)
Hello everyone, been a minute since I've posted anything. but last night was on the highway with absolute no one on the road, did a small pull coming from off the ramp to the highway, stayed into it till about 5th gear and let up (I wont' say the speeds) in anyrate, I see the check engine light flash on and off for about 45 seconds until i got off the highway. when i pulled to the stop light the light went away (went home and checked it). Keeping in mind that the car only has about 9800 miles on it, and when i was in it, I can tell that the supercharger belt was slipping as when i looked over i noticed that my boost gauge peaked at 8.4psi which I've never seen it go that high. (has been dyno tuned) a step down smaller pully has been put on, and the belt has not been replaced upon that new pully. Never really had any issues especially a misfire code. what I'm thinking is that with it being full throttle and the belt slippage (you can fell it) maybe the air/fuel wasn't getting?
- what are your thoughts? i did drive it around for a bit and light never came back on. I normally don't beat on my vehicles and thought it was a ok idea just to stretch her legs a bit.

I have said this over and over, NO LT1 should get a supercharger with more than 6 psi boost without fuel system upgrades, i.e. Lt4 fuel system components.

Even at 6 psi the car will need a JMS fuel system voltage booster so the low side pump can keep the high side pump fed with that much fuel demand.

570 RWHP is the absolute Limit of fuel supply from the LT1 High pressure pump and injectors.

This leaves no room for extra fueling to supply Cat Overtemp Protection will request.

As soon as you exceed 6 ms of injector opening it will drain the high side pump and the car will misfire.

When the low side drops the high side drops hard also.

CAUTION MANY TUNERS WILL COMMAND A VERY LEAN POWER ENRICHMENT NUMBER TO STRETCH THE FUEL SYSTEM

THIS IS BAD BECAUSE IT RAISES COMBUSTION TEMPURATURES WHICH EXPANDS THE RINGS AND LEADS TO DETONATION AND PISTON FAILURE

At absolute bare minimum you need a JMS fuel system voltage booster.

But I strongly recommend an LT4 fuel system upgrade package https://jannettyracing.com/products/...2018-camaro-ss

1LE cars and 19 up cars do not require the low side pump so you can select to delete that from the package.