Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Tom Henry Racing THR22 2010/LS3/IBM/Supercharged SS Camaro [COTW 10/29/12] (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24276)

garcmol 08-17-2012 09:59 AM

hygroscopic brake fluid is made to absord moisture. That's how the "wet" boiling point is determined, which is much lower than the dry. 3, 4, 5.1

If you put hypophobic brake fluid (DOT 5 does not absorb moisture) it will keep a higher boiling point over it's life, but moisture and the fluid will be separate. Not good.

Moisture is going to happen just with hot engines and cool outside temps. Condensation you can't beat. What happened to Doug is he met and surpassed that wet boiling temp and the fluid was literally vaporized. That vapor is compressed which won't allow the flow of hydraulic fluids.

Charts usually show a 3.7% value of moisture to achieve a "wet" boiling temp. The more we drive with the same fluid in there, the more moisture it's going to absorb and that value will get larger while your boiling point keeps decreasing.

So, moisture is going to happen period. You want it to be absorbed in the fluid, you just want to change it more often if you track your car.

GTAHVIT 08-17-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garcmol (Post 5456402)
hygroscopic brake fluid is made to absord moisture. That's how the "wet" boiling point is determined, which is much lower than the dry. 3, 4, 5.1

If you put hypophobic brake fluid (DOT 5 does not absorb moisture) it will keep a higher boiling point over it's life, but moisture and the fluid will be separate. Not good.

Moisture is going to happen just with hot engines and cool outside temps. Condensation you can't beat. What happened to Doug is he met and surpassed that wet boiling temp and the fluid was literally vaporized. That vapor is compressed which won't allow the flow of hydraulic fluids.

Charts usually show a 3.7% value of moisture to achieve a "wet" boiling temp. The more we drive with the same fluid in there, the more moisture it's going to absorb and that value will get larger while your boiling point keeps decreasing.

So, moisture is going to happen period. You want it to be absorbed in the fluid, you just want to change it more often if you track your car.

:D

Hence why the SRF stuff is so guuuder :laugh:

Quote:

Castrol SRF Brake Fluid is a DOT 4 brake fluid suitable for all disc and drum brake systems except those prescribed for mineral oil. Castrol SRF is a high-performance product. Castrol SRF Brake Fluid's unique silicon ester technology absorbs less water than conventional glycol ether fluids and prevents the fluid's high temperature performance from deteriorating. Its wet boiling point of 270°C (518°F) is vastly superior to the minimum requirement of 155°C demanded by the current US DOT 4 specification. Its ability to withstand temperatures in excess of 300°C and superior resistance to the effects of absorbed water have established Castrol SRF Brake Fluid as the world's premier fluid for the hydraulic brakes used in all forms of motorsport and racing. 1 Liter Bottle.

garcmol 08-17-2012 01:12 PM

Yup. That and you gots some big brakes.

zebra 08-17-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 5451463)
Most of the discoloration is from the hoses. Your variation if performance was most likely due to the fresh fluid for the first time in years.

yeah, i reckon i did for get to take that into account

Mr Twisty 08-17-2012 06:53 PM

There's a solution to your fluid problems.....

..... I use compressed air, and it's $0.00 a pint :thumbsup:

Tom Henry Racing 08-17-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Twisty (Post 5458767)

GTAHVIT uses orange juice.

The Stig 08-17-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Twisty (Post 5458767)

We use air brakes on our trucks at the station, all is good and well until you run out of compressed air :yikes:

GTAHVIT 08-17-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Henry Racing (Post 5458964)

:confused0068:

:help:

Mr Twisty 08-17-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Henry Racing (Post 5458964)

Brake fluid you can drink in an emergency..... I like it

:sm0:
Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 5459054)
We use air brakes on our trucks at the station, all is good and well until you run out of compressed air :yikes:

It's not so bad, you just skid to a stop... actually kinda fun :laugh:

Semi uses 22.5 wheels, some donks are bigger than that, so the drums could conceivably fit... add brake pots, air dryer, replace that goofy parking brake handle with a cool knob on the dash, you're good to go racing! :thumbup:

:bellyroll:

The Stig 08-17-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Twisty (Post 5459092)
Brake fluid you can drink in an emergency..... I like it

:sm0:

It's not so bad, you just skid to a stop... actually kinda fun :laugh:

Semi uses 22.5 wheels, some donks are bigger than that, so the drums could conceivably fit... add brake pots, air dryer, replace that goofy parking brake handle with a cool knob on the dash, you're good to go racing! :thumbup:

:bellyroll:

and at $70 a bottle you'd save a pretty penny.

TAG UR IT 08-18-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTAHVIT (Post 5456218)
I got some fluid that will fix that "little" problem :D

how bout some rotors and calipers....:paddle:

GTAHVIT 08-18-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 5460870)
how bout some rotors and calipers....:paddle:

I have a set... LOL but I don't think they are gonna be any better than what you have now... ;)

zebra 08-18-2012 12:42 PM

does the carbon ceramic kit swap over to the camaro?
i know a guy put them on his C5 vette, but that's the same basic platform

PQ 08-18-2012 12:44 PM

Braking is over-rated. :bellyroll: